Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOh man, this discussion
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2505750&mesg_id=2505865
2505865, Oh man, this discussion
Posted by dalecooper, Tue Feb-15-11 03:39 PM
We should kill this before it devours the thread whole. But I just can't help myself...

>but since I discovered mp3 and their accompanying players, it
>seems to me like the compact disc is just a big scam (well...
>we all know it is). You're paying for a plastic box that
>contains a plastic plate holding the digital files, which
>contain the actual music... which you can find for free
>without even trying.

I definitely see your point here, but I do like packaging (especially a nice digipak or just a good, thick booklet with good liner notes; I'm also a big fan of the pricy, opulent box sets done for Miles, Trane, etc.). Also finding mp3s at any bit rate is one thing, but finding lossless rips is another. They still aren't that widely available. As for stuff being free, that doesn't come into it for me - when I download, I'm paying for it. So I figure if I'm going to pay anyway, I should see how pricy the physical artifact is and make a decision about if it's worth a little extra to have something I can hold and read. Also, since I listen to a lot of older music, many of the CDs I buy are older and on sale - so it's not like it would cost me much (or any) less at iTunes or wherever else.

>Most times if I buy a CD, the first thing I do is rip the mp3s
>so it makes more sense to just skip the middleman altogether.

I do feel you on this one. Even when I buy vinyl or tape I rip it straight away so I can listen on my PC. Which is kind of messed up but it saves me having to bust out the turntable too often.

>Contrary to popular belief, CDs are not more durable, by the
>way... I've lately been going through the collection to check
>out CDs I haven't listened to in like 10 years. Some of them
>are showing traces of decay on the edges.

Yeah, I'm familiar with CD decay. Though luckily not from personal experience. I've been going back through and re-ripping my entire collection lossless, and despite some of them being 20-25 years old, they're still looking and playing fine; I haven't found a bad one yet. But the whole point of the rip is for that inevitable day, whenever it might be coming, so obviously it makes me nervous! From my experience though this thing is still not that widespread. I've heard that it has to do with how the disc is manufactured - certain processes and plants might have done a worse job than others - and also with how you store it. Whatever the variables are, so far I've dodged that bullet.

My problem with vinyl is that if you play it whatsoever, it will start crackling and will even get skips and scratches in it for basically no reason. I've bought a small number of brand new records that had skips in them already. It's just not the most durable format from what I can tell, and I really take care of my stuff too. CDs will put up with more abuse without sounding any different, and if it does get scratched up I have a CD buffer/refinisher that I bought for $30 that will usually fix it right up. Generally I've been happier with the lifespan and performance of my CDs, which is why I have ended up owning a whole lot more of them... that and the fact that they play in my car..!