Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIf you not listening to Bad Rabbits, you wrong *looks at OP*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2505750
2505750, If you not listening to Bad Rabbits, you wrong *looks at OP*
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 01:17 PM
For real, I just discovered these Boston cats like two, three weeks ago (hey! I'm old... I don't get out to shows much these days!) and already, I think they are my favorite current band.

RIck James called his sound "punk funk," but I think these dudes really deliver on the promise of that label... I think OldPro would dig 'em because they're a bit like Chromeo, but funkier (and with stronger vocals).

(JG has bigged 'em up a few times around here... I don't think BigReg is gonna like them that much, though!)

Their cover of "Human Nature" is on the front page of this site right now, but I don't think that's even close to their best stuff.

Neverland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM3a4DrYWvY

Girl, I'm Like Damn! (feat. Travie McCoy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHHwVD7txE

Stick Up Kids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF72N2b5OxM

Advantage Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUjoshF0BZw

Download their music for free here: http://badrabbits.tumblr.com/

You're welcome.
2505762, yea man, they're the shit..used to be Slick Rick's backing band.
Posted by JG., Tue Feb-15-11 01:31 PM
2505770, Oh shit... Yes! THAT is where I had heard of them before!
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 01:36 PM
Well... I'm a groupie now, believe it.

I ride for these dudes like I did for Cody ChesnuTT and N*E*R*D (who BR sound kinda like a more confident and musically proficient version of, btw)
2505796, They fucking tore it down at the show I was at..Im with you.
Posted by JG., Tue Feb-15-11 02:02 PM
2505771, Not really hearing much punk in this at all. I hear the funk though.
Posted by drmindriot, Tue Feb-15-11 01:39 PM
...and RnB for some reason... but no punk.
2505773, The punk is in the attitude, man.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 01:42 PM
2505782, Sure, but PUNK as a form of music has its distinct qualities...
Posted by drmindriot, Tue Feb-15-11 01:46 PM
.. that transcend mere attitude.

eg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiHWOWBOBZ0

This is raw, unfiltered punk.
2505786, actually, that's been a topic of debate for decades.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 01:50 PM
DOES punk true have a distinct sound? Sure, there is a certain sound that most people identify as "punk" but it could be argued that one of the failings of punk was the fact that too many bands just emulated the sound that Sex Pistols and other early bands had rather than applying the aesthetic to find their own shit.
2505836, that's why post-punk trumps punk IMO
Posted by howisya, Tue Feb-15-11 03:00 PM
and why it's also interesting to look at the evolution of punk through post-hardcore and emo ("emotional hardcore")

punk became about posing pretty quickly, but the original attitude and spirit lives on in various forms
2505840, Yep.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 03:11 PM

>punk became about posing pretty quickly, but the original
>attitude and spirit lives on in various forms

Post-punkers just seemed more interested in music as opposed to fashion and broad poses.
2505848, indeed
Posted by howisya, Tue Feb-15-11 03:19 PM
but in fairness, i'm not immune to punk fashion, posing, and superficiality: have you seen derek jarman's jubilee? i saw it a few weeks ago and found it a lot of fun and an invaluable snapshot
2505853, Oh, I love punk style, attitude and fashion myself.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 03:24 PM
I just recognize that it had very, very little to do with music, and was probably that way by design too...

It's weird how a lot of old-school punks are STILL mad at The Clash for trying to actually, y'know, *make music*

I haven't seen Jubilee, though... been meaning to for years...

I also recommend this (relatively) new book called Destroy Al Movies!!! The Complete Guide to Punks on Film
2505778, does Straight to Hell by The Clash sound punk?
Posted by JG., Tue Feb-15-11 01:45 PM
??
2505783, Definitely does. Your point?
Posted by drmindriot, Tue Feb-15-11 01:47 PM
2505784, I'm not sure how you define 'punk' as a sound, then.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 01:48 PM
2505790, I can't answer your question without getting into opinions...
Posted by drmindriot, Tue Feb-15-11 01:56 PM
On one hand, I see how using "attitude" as the definition can apply, but at the same time... Punk musicians have a certain raw, unpolished approach to their instruments whom turn white noise into songs, ballads, etc... It's as if they take a broken radio and force it to work by banging on it..

What I'm hearing in the band you mentioned is a fusion between Rock n Roll and Funk.. and a very clean, refined sound as opposed to a dirty, in your face, choke slam....

2505798, Their sound is clean compared to, say, The Membranes, yes.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 02:05 PM
But they're a lot dirtier than Cameo or Timex Social Club (who clearly number among their influences).

One thing you have to bear in mind is that I called them "punk funk"... Not "punk rock funk."

Punk rock (as much as hardcore punks may detest that term) was about breaking down and roughening the edges of ROCK music.

I see these cats doing the same thing with funk (or more specifically, to 80s boogie). They still need to maintain a certain degree of boogie's groove, danceability and yes, gloss, while analyzing its structure. So it's not gonna be as noisy as some punk stuff.

Besides, lots of proper punk stuff that's considered classic cornerstones of the genre don't fit the aesthetic litmus test you're imposing either.
2505822, Point taken.. also, the band you linked is way cool.
Posted by drmindriot, Tue Feb-15-11 02:34 PM
2505824, Yes they are.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 02:37 PM
2505787, "your point?" c'mon man thats lame..and it does not.
Posted by JG., Tue Feb-15-11 01:51 PM
2505792, Yes, it really does.
Posted by drmindriot, Tue Feb-15-11 01:57 PM
The raw, dirty attributes are there... the riff's, the bass and those hollowed out drums... plus the raspy quality of his voice... all you need to do is crank up the tempo of this tune and it's a great punk song.
2505810, Come on, don't shit on the mighty Cows...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Tue Feb-15-11 02:24 PM
I agree though that punk is more of an attitude, hence why bands like Television, Chrome, Minutemen and yes, Clash qualifies as punk even if I prsonally don't hear much punk in them from "London Calling" and onwards...

Bartek is speaking more about hardcore I think...
2505812, Marquee Moon is the album I had in mind
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 02:25 PM
>I agree though that punk is more of an attitude, hence why
>bands like Television, Chrome, Minutemen and yes, Clash
>qualifies as punk even if I prsonally don't hear much punk in
>them from "London Calling" and onwards...

when I said to Tek that some bands that released seminal punk albums don't meet his qualifications for a punk sound.

I agree that he seems to be thinking more about hardcore.
2505821, I think people miss the context of time...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Tue Feb-15-11 02:34 PM
I know a lot of punk-purists who shit on Television andcall them prog-rock because they had long well-played solos and a relatively mellow style but if you put it in the context of the 70's and how rock sounded then, it makes total sense to call it punk I think-same with Blondie, Devo and even B-52's. Patti Smith however doesn't work as punk to me at all, that will always be the mystery to me...
2505825, Yeah, I've never gotten the Patti Smith thing either.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 02:38 PM
She always struck me as a hippie.
2505779, This is nice
Posted by dalecooper, Tue Feb-15-11 01:45 PM
Might have to buy a hardcopy just so somebody does.
2505781, Oh yeah, I am copping.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 01:46 PM
I don't understand this For Rainbows model that current bands have now, though: "Download free or Buy It or Donate"

99% of people gonna grab it for free, so what's the point of offering those options?
2505845, Actually
Posted by dalecooper, Tue Feb-15-11 03:17 PM
I decided against copping, as my CD shelves are overflowing as it is, but I did the download and donated a few bucks. The EP is quite good - definite pick-me-up for a boring afternoon at work, and I'm gonna be playing it the rest of the week at least. They have a very old school and professional tightness and songwriting chops. You can tell these guys have been around.
2505846, If they put out vinyl, I'll buy it.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 03:19 PM
As it is, it's just hard for me to justifying purchasing CDs unless they've got really souped-up packaging or something.

I'll donate a few bucks later too.
2505852, I've always liked CDs
Posted by dalecooper, Tue Feb-15-11 03:23 PM
I mean vinyl is clearly the superior package, but CDs are more portable, easier to use, and less prone to wear and tear (at least if you care for them properly). However, I have thousands of them, to the point that my entire back room and part of another has most of the available wall space covered with shelves full, and this is really impressing on me the need to go digital and be a little less old school. I still like buying physical products, but I'm just running out of room - and really dreading the next time I have to move. It's been a few years now and last time was bad enough.
2505858, I loved CDs at one point
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 03:28 PM
but since I discovered mp3 and their accompanying players, it seems to me like the compact disc is just a big scam (well... we all know it is). You're paying for a plastic box that contains a plastic plate holding the digital files, which contain the actual music... which you can find for free without even trying.

Most times if I buy a CD, the first thing I do is rip the mp3s so it makes more sense to just skip the middleman altogether.

Contrary to popular belief, CDs are not more durable, by the way... I've lately been going through the collection to check out CDs I haven't listened to in like 10 years. Some of them are showing traces of decay on the edges.

(tapedeck would gladly tell you more about that, though...)
2505865, Oh man, this discussion
Posted by dalecooper, Tue Feb-15-11 03:39 PM
We should kill this before it devours the thread whole. But I just can't help myself...

>but since I discovered mp3 and their accompanying players, it
>seems to me like the compact disc is just a big scam (well...
>we all know it is). You're paying for a plastic box that
>contains a plastic plate holding the digital files, which
>contain the actual music... which you can find for free
>without even trying.

I definitely see your point here, but I do like packaging (especially a nice digipak or just a good, thick booklet with good liner notes; I'm also a big fan of the pricy, opulent box sets done for Miles, Trane, etc.). Also finding mp3s at any bit rate is one thing, but finding lossless rips is another. They still aren't that widely available. As for stuff being free, that doesn't come into it for me - when I download, I'm paying for it. So I figure if I'm going to pay anyway, I should see how pricy the physical artifact is and make a decision about if it's worth a little extra to have something I can hold and read. Also, since I listen to a lot of older music, many of the CDs I buy are older and on sale - so it's not like it would cost me much (or any) less at iTunes or wherever else.

>Most times if I buy a CD, the first thing I do is rip the mp3s
>so it makes more sense to just skip the middleman altogether.

I do feel you on this one. Even when I buy vinyl or tape I rip it straight away so I can listen on my PC. Which is kind of messed up but it saves me having to bust out the turntable too often.

>Contrary to popular belief, CDs are not more durable, by the
>way... I've lately been going through the collection to check
>out CDs I haven't listened to in like 10 years. Some of them
>are showing traces of decay on the edges.

Yeah, I'm familiar with CD decay. Though luckily not from personal experience. I've been going back through and re-ripping my entire collection lossless, and despite some of them being 20-25 years old, they're still looking and playing fine; I haven't found a bad one yet. But the whole point of the rip is for that inevitable day, whenever it might be coming, so obviously it makes me nervous! From my experience though this thing is still not that widespread. I've heard that it has to do with how the disc is manufactured - certain processes and plants might have done a worse job than others - and also with how you store it. Whatever the variables are, so far I've dodged that bullet.

My problem with vinyl is that if you play it whatsoever, it will start crackling and will even get skips and scratches in it for basically no reason. I've bought a small number of brand new records that had skips in them already. It's just not the most durable format from what I can tell, and I really take care of my stuff too. CDs will put up with more abuse without sounding any different, and if it does get scratched up I have a CD buffer/refinisher that I bought for $30 that will usually fix it right up. Generally I've been happier with the lifespan and performance of my CDs, which is why I have ended up owning a whole lot more of them... that and the fact that they play in my car..!
2506093, RE: Actually
Posted by Auk_The_Blind, Wed Feb-16-11 12:03 AM
>You can tell these guys have been
>around.

Just to follow up on this, they used to be (for the most part) Eclectic Collective, who leaned more towards the alt-rock spectrum of things and were definitely respected for their live chops. I'd attribute some of the busyness of the Bad Rabbits sound to them still developing this more streamlined "new jack" sound from a denser band dynamic.
2505827, Have you heard swedish band Fibes Oh Fibes?
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Tue Feb-15-11 02:43 PM
They started out as Dexy's Midnight Runners worshippers (yup!) but went in a more 80's R&Bish pop direction after that... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmtZNUSNlVA

Their last album "1987" was way to inspired by the worst part of the 80's for my taste though...

Not much punk in this band though even if they are big amongst swedish indie-fans...
2505828, The only swedes I care about is The Cardigans..this is a BR post.
Posted by JG., Tue Feb-15-11 02:45 PM
GTFOHWTS
2505830, LOL
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 02:46 PM
2505829, You had me at Dexy's!
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 02:46 PM
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmtZNUSNlVA

I dig this a lot... Yeah, I can see what you mean by "the worst part of the 80s"... they've got some Prefab Sprout DNA in there somewhere, but I actually liked that part of the 80s (while recognizing even then that it was corny) so I am not offended at all.

I'm gonna get up on these cats... Thanks for the recommendation!
2505996, This is pretty good
Posted by KangolLove, Tue Feb-15-11 06:57 PM
2505835, word? gonna check em out whenever I get home
Posted by eye.M.woman, Tue Feb-15-11 02:58 PM
i love discovering new music
well.. not so much in this case
but im very open minded to music
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 03:12 PM
2505870, Bad Rabbits - Sextape (Deftones Cover)
Posted by bluetiger, Tue Feb-15-11 03:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQR4ewtfZp4
2505972, thanks for the heads up, will check them out
Posted by MME, Tue Feb-15-11 06:13 PM
2505982, Yeah my daughter hipped me to them a while back
Posted by OldPro, Tue Feb-15-11 06:20 PM
They cool but I don't agree the vocals are better or music funkier than Chromeo... I mean maybe in a technical sense but I think Chromeo does a much better job at arranging and creating grooves and hooks. Bad Rabbit is a bit too noisy at times... it's like they trying to ram a groove down your throat rather than just let it flow. Their sound reminds me more of one of those early 90s groups like Joe Public... I think there is a lot more 90s in this than is the case with Chromeo's music. Again not saying they bad but they don't move me half way as much as Chromeo does (Going to see them boys Friday in Oakland by the way) I do love that BR cut "Can't Back Down" though

*edit*
I see BR is out this way in a few months... I might go check them out.

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/

Latest episode- "Hood Classics Vol 1"
2506020, Well, the 'noisiness' is the 'punk' part.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 07:53 PM
Part of it, anyway...

Damn... You compared them to Joe Public, though. That's hard (and I actually liked JP and still find most of their album quite listenable... was even planning to make a post on them one of these days).

EDIT: "Can't Back Down" is one of my faves too... I meant to include that one in the samples but somehow it got lost.
2505993, I was able to watch the Neverland video for the full 3 minutes
Posted by KangolLove, Tue Feb-15-11 06:47 PM
And videos rarely keep my attention anymore.

Not really feeling the song with Travie (ugh) McCoy, but I think I'm on board for this.
2506002, Travie gave me pause too
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 07:09 PM
but he managed not to ruin it
2506018, lead singer leaves a LOT to be desired. wheres the excitement?
Posted by Binlahab, Tue Feb-15-11 07:49 PM
overall i'll give em a 6.

however the band they opened up for...foxy shazam...lil better

i will work harder

http://tinyurl.com/23yexkq

laters
2506072, the stick up kids ep is cool.... not seeing the Rick James punk funk
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue Feb-15-11 10:47 PM
comparison..

but they are a solid band
2506074, I didn't compare them to Rick James' music
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-15-11 10:55 PM
I said that they embody the name "punk funk" more than Rick did, as his music was more like... Arena Funk, if anything.
2506106, yall late as hell
Posted by fire, Wed Feb-16-11 12:22 AM
2506110, like a drunk tony,toni,tone meets a drunk Fishbone
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Wed Feb-16-11 12:39 AM
they is alright, nothing that really knocks me out, but if they were doing a Budweiser superfest and drinks were 75 cents a cup and they were selling some Kettle corn with some greens and I had 25-30 minutes to burn, I would check them out live, but they ain't gonna get my attention to listen to at home.

in truth though if John mayer got with a Band like that, it would add some snap to his thing.

if they had a cat who had a real lead role and not some broke knickle and dime jive hack turkey like travie Mccoy, then they might get up to being a legit 2nd tier act.
2506137, i likes
Posted by Ally Al 2003, Wed Feb-16-11 02:39 AM
late or otherwise

us older folks need to keep each other informed :)
2506218, Ha! Your right
Posted by BigReg, Wed Feb-16-11 09:48 AM
>(JG has bigged 'em up a few times around here... I don't think
>BigReg is gonna like them that much, though!)

I do love how seriously they are going with the vocals tho(he's not as strong as his heros but he's really going for the inflection no matter what and thats half the battle), that's my fav part.

2506433, rocked a show with them last year...so good to see them blowin up.
Posted by al_sharp, Wed Feb-16-11 04:20 PM

avy: our new album. you may just like it. listen for free online @ http://theyesyesyalls.com

http://twitter.com/shamelessplug
http://theyesyesyalls.com
2506443, I was listening to them today and thinking of you.
Posted by JG., Wed Feb-16-11 04:43 PM
I was like "damn the Yes Yes Yalls and Bad Rabbits would be a great show"
2506978, it would! it was!
Posted by al_sharp, Thu Feb-17-11 02:31 PM
been tryna hook up another.

avy: our new album. you may just like it. listen for free online @ http://theyesyesyalls.com

2506981, hmmm...
Posted by JG., Thu Feb-17-11 02:34 PM
whats your fee?

bring back You Look Like Crap Today btw.
2507005, RE: hmmm...
Posted by al_sharp, Thu Feb-17-11 03:10 PM
always negotiable and always reasonable.

and man i wish yllct was still going...unfortunately it's retired. twoname pulled the plug (lol...plug) when his mom almost stumbled upon it. he was homeschooled...parents very conservative/religious people...it wouldn't have been good. i been thinkin bout startin another one up maybe just me and john blake or somethin.

2506662, Interesting.. thanks! nm
Posted by El_essence, Thu Feb-17-11 02:05 AM