Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Thoughts copied and pasted from another forum:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2505022&mesg_id=2514255
2514255, RE: Thoughts copied and pasted from another forum:
Posted by Austin, Sun Feb-20-11 10:18 PM
Just downloaded and listening now.

This is tense, highly rhythmic, labyrinthine, paranoid music.

Very druggy.

Not very many corridors of lightness to be found here.

Maybe it's because of where I'm at in my life right now, but it makes me feel like nothing will ever get better. Like I'm stuck. Almost like mental prison.

Jesus christ, just the tone of this music is unspeakably bleak.

For all of its complex rhythms, densely buried melodies and paranoia, it's actually very calm. Like restrained doom.

As far as specifics:

This is Thom's best vocal performance ever. Who would have guessed that the guy would've developed into such a wonderful soprano crooner? Truly, on songs like Lotus Flower and Codex, his voice sounds downright gorgeous.

Rhythms and polyrhythms EVERYWHERE. The whole initial shock of this thing mostly rests on just how complex the time signatures are.

38 minutes and mission accomplished. Fuckin' a.

Codex --> Give Up the Ghost = I cried. I did.

I'm a little surprised that These Are My Twisted Words didn't show up. Granted, the song is over a year old by this point, but it would've sounded awesome coming right after Feral.

After spending a half an hour wallowing away in pure gloom, Separator is quite possibly the prettiest thing they've ever done. Makes me think of the Durutti Column. Fantastic.

Overall, I'm not speechless, but I'm am quite certainly in total awe. Two listens and I like it better than half of their catalogue. In fact, right now, I'd say the only things topping it are Kid A and Amnesiac.

Too early to give any sort of score, but sweet merciful crap is it good.

~Austin