Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThe Kinks - Lola Vs. Powerman & The Moneygoround
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2501660&mesg_id=2502591
2502591, The Kinks - Lola Vs. Powerman & The Moneygoround
Posted by Virgenes Corazon, Wed Feb-09-11 12:45 AM
Album critical of the record industry, way back in 1970. Best known for "Lola" (obviously), a song that doesn't fit the concept except as being one of their best known hits. One of my favorite albums just from a song standpoint, but the concept is on point and realistic.

The beginning of the album starts with the protagonist trying to make.
"Denmark Street" is named after a part of London where a lot of industry movers and shakers were around.

On "Get Back In Line", Ray sings humbly as a humble would-be songwriter:
"Now I think of what my mamma told me
She always said that it would never ever work out
But all I want to do is make some money
And bring you home some wine"

"Lola" is followed by "Top Of The Pops", a story-song about the guy who just wrote a hit song and his life changing as the song climbs up the charts. "Lola" by itself is no part of the concept, but I think the Kinks knew it would be a strong enough single that it merited where it ends up in the track listing.

"The Moneygoround" - where did all the money go after the big success?

The next few songs are about the trials and tribulations of touring and parasitic hangers-on. On "Apeman", Ray sings about getting away from the city, being an ape-man is preferable to the rat race. "Powerman" is a showdown between the artist and the industry.
"And he's got my money, 'cause I got my fame"
"I'm not rich and I'm not free but I got my girl and she's got me.
He's got my money and my publishing rights but I got my girl and I'm alright."

"Got To Be Free" ends the album with a similar riff to the first track on the album and pines for "runnin' wild across the big country".

Overall, a pretty good concept, definitely true to life for Davies and many many artists before and after. Decades later, Q-Tip distilled this entire concept to Industry Rule #4080 but the songwriting on "Lola" is great enough to merit listening.