Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectDonuts was actually my intro to Dilla...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2487448&mesg_id=2639900
2639900, Donuts was actually my intro to Dilla...
Posted by rorschach, Thu Dec-15-11 03:24 PM
He was always one of those artists that I had heard without knowing. Prior to OKP, my only reference for music was the typical mainstream stuff and stuff and I'd randomly find. I'm from the country so it's not like I could just pop into a record store and hear stuff.

This record store opened up near my college and for some odd reason always had Stones Throw and Rhymesayers albums in it the day they dropped. That was weird because no one listened to that stuff in that area. I remember the guy saying that I was the only one buying those labels. Anyway, I picked up Donuts off the strength of Lessonheads (I think this had just become the Lesson).

I was instantly blown away. I elevated that album into the ranks of my most cherished albums in my collection (Black Saint...., Sketches of Spain, Supreme Clientele, etc.) I seriously doubt it will ever leave my all-time Top 10. When I lost all of my CDs, I searched to see if my copy of Donuts was spared. It wasn't....along with about 75% of my collection. I still have Ruff Draft and The Shining but those aren't the same. I gotta get another copy of Donuts ASAP.

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------