Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectan interesting comparison
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2487448&mesg_id=2490131
2490131, an interesting comparison
Posted by Dr Claw, Fri Jan-14-11 03:19 PM
>For me, "Donuts" is to Dilla as "In Square Circle" is to
>Stevie.

and you know, I defend '80s Stevie harder than just about anyone here...I concede the '70s Stevie just was... BETTER. I mean that period solidified him as an all-time great.

but it ain't like the '80s stuff was wack. Stevie was just as big in the mid '80s as he was in the '70s... although I'd argue it was because of his decades of success that he was all over the place in '84-85.

as for Donuts and Dilla...

man, I'm just now remembering what it was like. the boards were flooded like shit with the sudden news of his passing.

all up until that point I had taken to finally "drinking the Kool-Aid" with reckless abandon. whenever Dilla came out with something new (legit or otherwise), I was listening. he was on trajectory to make some absolutely earth-shattering shit from my perspective.

Donuts was part of it. I thought it was weird in spots, like he was tryna do the Madlib thing, but I still wonder, from a technical perspective... how the hell he did a lot of that shit. "Stop" for example. I mean, did he have access to master tapes?