Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectwelcome to the party
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2302013&mesg_id=2303278
2303278, welcome to the party
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Jan-19-10 10:03 AM
>you say he changed electronic music, but you dont give any
>examples.

I didn't say he changed electronic music. I said I turn on some electronic music and hear his influence.

> usually when someone makes an outlandish statement,
>its up to that person to support it.

where was the outlandish statement again?

>I havent heard dilla's
>influence in drum and bass, or even in detroit techno.

you must have missed all the drum and bass artist that went dubstep and hopped on the dilla quantization craze.

>im not
>saying it is NOT there, but you made a statement that you
>arent even trying to back up.

because the person I was replying to originally in this part of the thread wasn't coming from that angle at all.

>in fact, regarding techno, i would say its the other way
>around. Jay Dee may have expanded on some of the principles
>in early techno, but he hasnt changed the game. Kids in the
>hood were making techno while Jay Dee was still using his
>speak-n-spell.

It's a good thing I didn't say that Jay Dee changed Techno. That would have been outlandish.

>And to say he's influencing late night TV is asinine. Just
>because his friend got a job working for Jimmy Fallon doesnt
>mean program directors are basing their shows on a quantized
>Dilla track.

Did I say he's influencing late night tv, or did i say i turn on late night tv and hear his influence. See how you're twisting what I'm saying to make me look stupid. Except I'm not stupid. I'm actually very clear about what I'm saying.

Now if you want to start over and address what I say instead of what you've twisted me to say, I'm all for it.

We can start with the electronic music I hear with his influence.

The polyrhythms of dubstep (on top of the two step) frequently employ dilla esque sense of rhythm. Dubstep as a sound is permeating through a lot of electronic music today particularly for its rhythmic sensibilities. It's not all of music of course but it's got it's strong little niche.

If you let others tell it Nosaj Thing is an electronic artist. More or less a non sample based producer, that manages to incorporate dillaisms into his work, most clearly with the rhythm.

________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

I talked a lot of shit in the 00's
Watch me back it up in the 10's
http://avanturb.com