Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectit's not that serious and takes nothing from Hendrix
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2302013&mesg_id=2302644
2302644, it's not that serious and takes nothing from Hendrix
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Jan-18-10 10:28 AM
>Are you really trying to put Dilla's influence over Hendrix's
>influence now? Are you serious?!?!?!?!

Only if you qualify it the way I have. If you do the abridged version of course it sounds ridiculous.

>Not only that but you keep saying to everyone that popularity
>means nothing and is a weak argument (blah, blah, blah) but
>yet you've just typed how you can turn on the BBC and hear
>people talking about Dilla's influence, how there are crews in
>Korea and New Zealand who speak upon Dilla's influence etc...
>Basically what you are doing now is trying to use the same
>popularity argument FOR Dilla to try and prove your point (of
>which you don't have any really).

No I'm talking about artists. Not fans. But artists that are actively putting his musical influence into their work. See the clip from the jimi doc above and take the quote I pulled from it. Rock didn't radically change it's direction after Hendrix. It stood in shock and awe bearing witness to greatness. What could they do after that? "Get on stage and just strummed." Other than a handful of fringe artists that has been the trajectory of rock since. You don't hear Hendrix coming out of a grip of guitar players the way you do Dilla coming out of a grip of MPC players.

This takes nothing away from what Hendrix did. It doesn't diminish it in one bit. It just says that the influence of Dilla is more direct.

>Man just STOP already!

Nope.

>I came into this conversation with an open mind about the
>topic but after discussing this with you and reading the rest
>of the conversation I will say that Dilla was NOT the Hendrix
>of this generation. Fuck outta here with that bullshit!

The passion you put into that. :)

>I
>think you are being disingenuous and you even admitted
>yourself that you weren't even that big of a fan.

Why disingenuous, because I'm honest and objective. Does the fact that I'm not a fan and can respect the work of an artist indicate I'm not being honest?

>Why you now
>decided to try and make a case for him just reeks of ULTERIOR
>MOTIVES that are not at all altruisitic.

Ultereior motives that are not all altruistic? Like what, I'm trying to get Dilla to executive produce my next project? WTF? What do I gain by doing this other than getting more OKP's to think I'm batshit crazy until they come down to my level of insanity and realize I may not be so crazy after all. That takes time though.

I do have ulterior motives though. I want to see if people can speak on musical influence objectively. So far, not so good results.

>If an argument could
>be made on behalf of Dilla you certainly aren't the person to
>do it.

On behalf of Dilla? What does that mean. As for arguments being made. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one foolish enough to make such a claim, let alone actually face the ridicule to defend it.

>Just STOP already because you are embarassing yourself at this
>point.

The folk on here I give a fuck about know better than to dismiss me out of pocket.

>Shock posting doesn't suit you at all.

*This* is not shock posting.

________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

I talked a lot of shit in the 00's
Watch me back it up in the 10's
http://avanturb.com