Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectpeep
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2302013&mesg_id=2302621
2302621, peep
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Jan-18-10 09:22 AM
>Jimi influenced more people because more people cared about
>the music he made. Fourteen-year-old kids listened to his
>records and went on to carry his influence into the next
>generation of music.

This is what I keep debating. I'll give fourteen year olds saying hey I want to play guitar because after hearing Jimi. And that's all well and good, but what I really don't hear is people really applying jimi's musical influence into their own skill set. An example of what I'm talking about would be if you could say well The Black Keys have a Jimi-esque approach to fusing blues and rock. But they don't. At all. Even if they were influenced by him it doesn't show up in the music. Only a handful of artists ever took up that torch and so no matter how influential he may have been on a 'ethereal' level, it didn't play out practically in the music. He was raised so high as a God that his music was deemed almost godly and unattainable by mere mortal guitarists.

Dilla on the other hand, his techniques disseminated. They are still challenging to do beyond the imitation level, but at the same time they are spreading. Far and wide. Folk seem so concerned with his popularity in mainstream views but it's beyond that. I mean you can still get a nice set of top hip-hop producers to tell you about his influence. But the real testament is that I can turn on the BBC and hear about the musical movements bubbling over there and those artists are talking about dilla influence. There's a scene in Korea that will drop Dilla's name as an influence. In New Zealand you got a soul collective putting out Dillafied soul. I talk to young jazz heads and they're saying they got their sense of rhythm listening to ?uest and Dilla.

This type of musical influence is contagious and spreading. It keeps Dilla in the realm of the living as opposed to Hendrix's godly status. It has nothing to do with fame or hits or popularity, or how 'deep' the impact of the work was, it's about the musical message was disseminated.

________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

I talked a lot of shit in the 00's
Watch me back it up in the 10's
http://avanturb.com