Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectyes I can because it is *my* opinion...nothing more and nothing less
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2302013&mesg_id=2302390
2302390, yes I can because it is *my* opinion...nothing more and nothing less
Posted by Asoyini, Sun Jan-17-10 08:39 PM
>has music ever helped u thru a rough situation?

Yes but that doesn't mean it changed my life. My ability to work out my problems was what did it.

>have u ever gotten an idea for a grand scheme while listening
>to music?

Yes...often times in combination with some good marijuana. However, my ability to put the grand scheme into a plan of action and execute was what changed my life.

>have u ever fell in love with someone while listening to
>music..?

hmmm...Probably but yet again the music in and of itself wasn't what changed my life. I could have fallen in love with someone when we walked in the park. Does that mean the park changed my life?

Being inspired by something and having your life changed are two very different things in my book. Perhaps this is where we see things differently. Perhaps you feel being inspired by something automatically changes you. I don't.

>c'mon sis.....
>u not making sense.....
>how does a musician changing a listener's life make them
>unlearned, oppurtunistic or disingenious..

Wait you forgot I also said really young. When you're young and impressionable you have a tendency to put importance on things that aren't really that important in the grand scheme of your life. That also ties into what I said about being unlearned in music. This cat has admitted he is an aspiring music creator and he only *recently* got into Dilla. That sounds like someone who is unlearned in Hip Hop. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't but I am telling you how it came across to *me*. To say someone is unlearned is not even meant as a negative statement towards him. I have run into a few cats like him over the years and he reminded me of those encounters. You took my comments as being disrespectful towards him when that is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from the case.

The opportunism that sprang up around Dilla's legacy is very well documented. There were many people just looking to exploit the man after his passing.

The disingenuous part comes from people who seem like they are trying to "curry favor" with Dilla's peeps (most of them established and/or famous artists) by pretending to be more into Dilla's music then they really are. I have seen this happen before.

>
>if dilla changed his life....its his life.....not yours...

Come on man...Did I say his life was my life? No I didn't. If he believes Dilla changed his life then so be it. He posted his perspective and I posted mine. Please don't make it out to be anything more than that!