Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject"do ya'll listen to music...or do you just skim through it?"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2302013&mesg_id=2302192
2302192, "do ya'll listen to music...or do you just skim through it?"
Posted by Fisher_Price_Fly, Sun Jan-17-10 02:58 PM
As an aspiring music creator...Dilla is literally from another planet. He is one of those rare aliens, that this world is blessed with from time to time. Yes Andre 3000 is another one of those aliens, AND you can certainly add Lauryn Hill to that list to. Hendrix certainly was an alien.

Anyhow, Dilla created another world with his beats. The beats that define Dilla are the ones that take you to that place, and it's a place he literally created, that exists out in the universe somewhere, that we can get a glimpse of through listening to his music. It's so out of this world, and indescribable, yet familiar like you've already been there. It's so hard to explain, but if you FEEL music, there's no way you can't get into DILLA. take a minute to let that soak in.

He embodied the Detroit sound. He was so raw, and SO LIVE. It's crazy because I live in Orange County, and though my homie and I have been trying to create a defining sound for our town...SO MANY HEADS have been jocking Dilla's sound. It's ridiculous in how blatant it's been, but it's also a testament of how much of an impact his music really has.

J Dilla certainly changed my life. And hearing the story behind that actual shirt goes along with the beauty of Dilla in general. Folks act like everyone was on Jimi when he was alive.

Yes it became a fad to like Dilla, after he passed. And one of my best friends, who's also a producer put me onto Dilla about two years before he passed. Donuts is NOT the Dilla i'm referencing to,BUT could you really deny someone's passion and love for music, when they're producing on their DEATH BED? That cd is unbelievable when you take that into consideration, and realize the dude was literally dying as he was causing the beats to burp and hiccup and speed and slow down. He was communicating with us through his beats on that CD, and it's obviously not his best work. But that dude's your favorite producer's FAVORITE producer.

as far as disciples of his sound? BLACK MILK anyone?! if Dilla ain't the Hendrix of our generation in terms of hip hop, you better believe that it's going to be his music, or someone who idolized him who's gonna be the one. remember those words.