Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectFIXED: growth requires progression
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2302013&mesg_id=2302168
2302168, FIXED: growth requires progression
Posted by Asoyini, Sun Jan-17-10 02:21 PM
>Nosaj Thing is hip-hop. He's not just hip-hop, but he is
>hip-hop. One day hip-hop will be able to embrace it
>(especially if he goes from remixing rappers to working with
>them). Fortunately he doesn't HAVE to get the full embrace to
>keep doing his thing.

lol...He may be "Hip Hop" but I'm not hearing that prominently in his musical output. It's kind of like how you have some of these indie rock bands who utilize certain Hip Hop production techniques (like big heavy sampled drum sounds for example) but that doesn't mean they are making Hip Hop music. When I hear his music I don't immediately think "yeah that's Hip Hop" moreso than I think "yeah that is Hip Hop inspired". I think the audience for his style of music is limited. I don't think he will be embraced on a larger scale (not necessarily meaning mainstream popularity) until he can produce music that can fit into the current Hip Hop context while still being undeniably progressive. His shit doesn't "bang" nor is it particularly "soulful". Hip Hop music tends to lean in either one of those directions. Thus, he has to show he can be consistent doing one of those two styles of Hip Hop music, with his own progressive spin on it, before he will begin to be embraced...if being embraced within Hip Hop is even a goal of his.

>There is newness that Exile brings to the table, and a handful
>of others. I don't see him in the imitators category at all.
>The fact that he also has live chops alone is an addition.
>But technique wise he's got somethings. Getting the average
>fan to talk about them is another story. I'd articulate them
>here, but not without listening again to point out specifics.
>Unfortunately can't do that right now.

That's cool. Perhaps at another time then.