Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecti thought about this a bit more
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2302013&mesg_id=2302134
2302134, i thought about this a bit more
Posted by GumDrops, Sun Jan-17-10 01:47 PM
in terms of game changing, i suppose he did, in his own sphere anyway. ie detroit rap. certain production touches here and there. but not in the way timbaland did. or marley marl before him, or rick rubin etc etc etc. anyway i think to be a hendrix of beats, you have to kinda make that virtuoso-ness apparent. it has to be somewhat in your face. and dilla obv was an expert in terms of manipulating samples, but it wasnt often apparent to all but a small circle of beatheads/insiders/those 'in the know'. BUT i can see what you mean. as only guitarists understood what hendrix was doing that was so different/difficult, just how producers can only see that with dilla.

im not sure hip hop even lends itself to virtuoso-ness in the first place though. unless you want to talk about some crazy abstract headache inducing (lol) beat manipulation production. venetian snares or someone. some breakcore guys maybe. and thats more post-drum n bass than hip hop.

but yeah, i think if you can include records of routines by the skratch piklz guys, those are your hip hop hendrixes. quite easily too. theyre virtuosos, can do it live, plus anyone who sees them would obv be able to marvel at their technique, expertise, and general insane level of skill.