Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthe main factor in its placement was longevity, which is personal.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2291465&mesg_id=2292343
2292343, the main factor in its placement was longevity, which is personal.
Posted by howisya, Sun Jan-03-10 03:00 PM
>i know its your list, but i feel like the fact that you
>recognized discovery enough (you said you listen to it a lot)
>should automatically make it a lot higher on your list than
>#50.
>
>anyone who is aware of discovery knows what it has done for
>electronic music in principle as well as helping it reach the
>mainstream. every song on the album is so tight (and if you've
>seen interstella 5555, you'll understand how complete this
>album is). once again, i think you have a great list, and as
>you note it is ballsy to post one on here of all places. but i
>just feel like throwing discovery in last place is
>disingenuous.

i agree with you for the most part. i thought it'd be worse to exclude it completely and throw in dj shadow, another RDJ or squarepusher album, or whatever else i wished was in there. i've barely listened to 'discovery' in the last 7 years, and if i could exclude godspeed you black emperor!, who i loved from when they released their first cd until their last but haven't listened to much since they went on hiatus, then by the same rationale i could put 'discovery' at 50. unlike 'kid a,' i never thought 'discovery' was the best album of the decade or even that year. ideally, i'd have had time to relisten to all 50 of those albums and more, but no one paid me to do this list, i did it as a labor of love, and i had to restrict myself from spending any more time on it. i never claimed perfection; i'm sure i'll start disagreeing with some of my choices by the end of the year. so, yeah, maybe that album would be ranked higher if i relistened to it, but it felt right to me at 50, more right than off the list or artificially closer to the top just based on how much i liked it for the first year or two. it's an important album, one of the most in that entire list, for the reasons you describe, but that wasn't what my list was about.

i actually haven't seen interstella 5555. by the time that came out i was burned out on 'discovery.' i've always been curious about it though.

if daft punk came out with a great studio album to follow up 'discovery' maybe i'd have remained a fan of theirs throughout the decade and kept listening to this album and everything else, but instead they're more a group i like but don't love.