Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI’ve been to a lot of shows, so this is tough
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3015182&mesg_id=3015189
3015189, I’ve been to a lot of shows, so this is tough
Posted by spirit, Tue Apr-09-19 08:55 PM
I’m gonna stick to rap shows. Otherwise I’ll never be able to narrow this down. You will see a common denominator very quickly. Forgive the typos, I’m typing this on my phone.

The Roots/Public Enemy/and....Crucial Conflict in Atlanta. They were all great and surprisingly Crucial Conflict had the best show of the night. Those guys rap like they’re possessed. Scary high level of energy. I only knew one of their songs and still only know one of their songs but they killed it.

Goodie Mob opening slot for The Roots

Pharcyde/Roots show - Thought did all the Wu voices on Protect Ya Neck during HipHop 101. I think he impersonated Lyte for Cha Cha Cha that night too. Pharcyde has a great show, but I’m a big fan of seeing people get past mistakes. Unless I mixed this up with a different Pharcyde show (totally possible) they had some sound issue with the beats and seamlessly switched to Bootie Brown beatboxing for the show to continue. DJ dropped the beat back in and they kept going without missing a beat. This may have been the show where Quest broke a drumstick and kept playing with one stick until he pulled a replacement stick out of his Afro, but my memory is weird and that might have been a different show.

The Roots/Public Enemy/Living Colour - Thought caught the Holy Ghost

Tribe/De La in 93. I missed Souls because my friend Kamau was late. I’m still salty lmao

KRS in a small club in DC called the Ritz in 93. So packed when the crowd jumped, they lifted you off your feet without you even jumping. He was a special guest but wound up on stage longer than the guy on the bill. Who was Jeru. I only remember him doing Come Clean and his verse on I’m The Man. Maybe something else but KRS wiped his performance from my memory.

ODB lip syncing Brooklyn Zoo, stopping mid song when he saw me staring dead at him in disbelief that he was lip synching (he had actually stopped, holding the mic near his waist as he watched the crowd wilding out), then telling the DJ to rewind the track, and doing the whole song live from the top again with an insane level of energy. You can’t make shit like this up.

Main terrible show I remember is seeing Nature when he was so drunk he could barely stand. Jeru came through with opening act DJ Shadow and I remember Jeru being awful. His chant was getting the crowd to say “Jeru the Damaja, he’s no amateur” I walked to the bar and stayed in the back the rest of his set. Got in free

I forgot loads of shit.

Shout out to Gary Clark Jr and Maceo Parker for another one of my favorite shows but I wanted to keep this HipHop

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com