Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI think i figured why certain eps don't really work for me
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3003264&mesg_id=3003737
3003737, I think i figured why certain eps don't really work for me
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Apr-07-18 05:30 PM
Even though this whole series seems to be recorded in 2017, it still feels "dated." In the sense so much of it is wrapped up in what those particular MCs were doing over that particular time.

So like, all of Logic's episode was about him doing promo for his last album and then touring for it, so the episode became an extended commercial for ***that*** album. Or G-Eazy was only available when he was going on the Lollapalooza tour in South America, so the entire episode is essentially tour footage. Truthfully, itt seems like the majority of the episodes were "_____ on tour."

And I get it, because its one of the hazards of doing a documentary over a couple of months rather than an extended period of time. But then if the episode is going to succeed, than the artist's personalities. So, the T.I., Rapsody, and 2 Chainz tour episodes were good because they're all interesting people and they had interesting hooks (T.I. talking to Civil Rights leaders and Rapsody talking about how hard it is to be taken seriously as a woman artist). But guys like Logic and G-Eazy aren't that interesting, so their episodes were the weakest of the bunch. Especially the Logic one; I just got so bored of the extended concert footage by the end.