Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectEh, recycling of overfamiliar and WACK stuff was the main issue for me...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2983401&mesg_id=2983422
2983422, Eh, recycling of overfamiliar and WACK stuff was the main issue for me...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Fri Feb-03-17 07:57 PM
Once upon a time, rap got me into James brown, P-funk, 70's jazz etc. All of a sudden, they were recycling the shitty 80's shit I grew up with *and* hated. Oh yeah, the recycling of previously proved samples in *hip-hop* is another issue...

basically, the idea that hip-hop beats was this magic thing that were NOT just dope on it's *own* terms but also gave you a reason to go digging and finding out stuff was ruined here, replaced with 80's pop (and rap) nostalgia and rap recycling that struck me as every bit as airhead as the "Grease"/"happy dyas" nostalgia I grew up with.

Of course, one could argue that the Jb/Sly/meters-samples were nostalgia too for those who grew up with that. however, how many white folks in sweden did that?

And btw, whiteys infatuation with the underground in this *exact* era is quite teling... Seriously, someone should write a story...