Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: You know what man...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2964235&mesg_id=2965747
2965747, RE: You know what man...
Posted by jimaveli, Sun May-15-16 11:25 PM
>I think I read your post wrong. You weren't saying Jay didn't
>make great music, just that he isn't known for his music
>today. And I would actually tend to agree with that. My bad.

It is the innanet man! Go down with the ship of your original argument like a confed flag waver! JUST KIDDING!

With rap, the 'I refuse to like popular stuff...especially if other people like it' contingent will stand on top of tall items, scream/type really hard, and try to muffle at least some of the love that almost anyone gets before they get super big. That or the social and other media will try to catch a dude doing/saying/wearing/not wearing/thinking/standing by someone else doing something goofy to take him down a notch. It really is crazy.

AKA I don't know if any act can get to where Jay was in the late 90s. And even he ate some hatero's when he was clearly a machine who could do most things any rap cat would've wanted to do. Nas came from a borderline career deathbed and gave the contrarians a leg to stand on with the Jay hate. Now, it doesn't even take a murderous Ether. The innanet alone will hate a dude down a notch.

Maybe I'm overstating all of this since Drake is the star rapper, J. Cole is rich, Fewcha is the underground/mixtape master, and Kendrick is the (old) people's champ. Maybe that is it...there's more 'lanes' than ever but it is damn near impossible to have a whole freeway. Even a cat like Curren$y almost messed up when he came from out of his cave and tried his hand at having an 'on the table' hit or two. Now he's back giving away basic but solid work and I'm guessing he's fine.