Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectDon't think so.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2899224&mesg_id=2899324
2899324, Don't think so.
Posted by denny, Sat Aug-30-14 10:10 PM
Pretty sure this comes from a completely different session than the official 'OTW'. Like, they had this version....and then completely redid everything for the official version.

I think we're having a semantical misunderstanding of 'demo' and 'stems'. A demo isn't just an unmixed track. It's the initial recording of song which is meant to be completely re-recorded in the future. And 'stems' aren't the individual tracks (ie guitar mic, snare mic, hihat mic). Stems are the sub-groups of a session. So having the stems of OTW would mean something like 4 or 5 different two-channel mixes. The drums stem. The vocals stem. The keys/guitars/bass stem. So you can't really do much mixing by simply having the stems. You need the individual tracks. I suppose the term 'stems' might be less specific than my understanding but I don't think so.

In anycase....yah, You can get all the original tracks of OTW. Ie the hihat, the snare, the kick, guitar 1, guitar 2, lead vocal, harmonies etc. I'll see if I can find a link for you. And that shit is FUN as hell. There really should be a way of legitimizing a niche market for that. I think Trent Reznor has officially released his multi-tracks on some releases. Most of the stuff available on the internet is obviously done subversively/illegally. Around 10 years ago there was a download package that had the multi-track files of a bunch of artists....Nirvana, Marvin Gaye, Doobie Brothers, Bob Marley. That was the first time I saw something like that and it was a revelation for me. I would pay BIG money to have access to that.

A business model is needed though. Something like $15 for the record.....$40 for the multi-tracks. And then...for people who don't make music....someone could design a really user-friendly program aimed at beginners to plop the multi-tracks into. I mean, even casual music fans would have a lot of fun messing around with their favorite songs. Not even so much on a mixing level.....moreso re-arranging. "I want just the bass and drums on verse 1....then add in the guitars and strings on verse 2....then just the conga and voice on verse 3" type of stuff.