Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMy Top 5
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2845769&mesg_id=2846182
2846182, My Top 5
Posted by Luke Cage, Mon Oct-07-13 02:39 PM
1. Death Certificate- Perfect mix of street knowledge, shit talking and story telling. One of the 10 greatest Hip Hop albums of all time regardless of region.

2. Amerikkka's Most Wanted-This is like the first album that got East Coast heads to acknowledge that the West Coast had skills and that Cube wasn't just a shock rapper only getting by on controversy. Perfect marriage of West and East with the Bomb Squad and Sir Jinx handling the production.

3. The Chronic-Dre's masterpiece of production. Sonically that album is perfect and Snoop, Kurupt, RBX, etc all brought a new flavor and style to West Coast MC'ing.

4. No One Can Do It Better-I'm counting this as a West Coast album since Dre produced it and at the time DOC was so entrenched in LA culture and the whole Ruthless Records crew were hanging and touring together. Big influence on future lyricists like Snoop, Ras Kass & Xzibit.

5. I Wish My Brother George Was Here-A lot of people would pick No Need For Alarm and for some reason there is this resistance from the "underground" west coast scene to give this album the props it deserves. I think because there is such a funk influence and Cube is on it and they want to separate Del from anything "Gangsta". A great mix of fun, lyricism, story telling and brought a whole new, fresh perspective to what was going on in the West.