Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectAs for the other albums being 'better" than the classics, Bombastic
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2845769&mesg_id=2845960
2845960, As for the other albums being 'better" than the classics, Bombastic
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Sun Oct-06-13 03:40 PM
is pretty much right on point about it.

All of our biggest hits get overexposed, to where it makes some of us forget how good it was when it first dropped. Dre is good for that...even with "In da club" it's crazy to think of how amazing it was when it first dropped.

Now what I do feel is that true West Coast fans, mainly L.A natives, will always have different taste from the East Coast and even the South when it comes to our own music...which is a reason why we prefer albums that aren't in that Top 5-10 cannon as much. Being at college in Florida reaaally made me realize how wild it was. It's a combination of them just not hearing music to like it, meaning they won't like it when you play it unless it really grabs them...and them just having different taste.

I felt it WEIRD that in the South, they LOVED "Wrong idea"...yet didn't care for "I luv it" "G'd up" "Let's get high" or "Y u bullshittin" which all got more love in L.A. Wrong idea is classic, but it was like "this still sounds West Coast...how you love this but don't like the others?" So maybe the other tracks were just too West for them to feel? Or their radio just didn't pick them up bc they weren't Snoop singles?

So this makes a difference as well. I guarantee that at least a third of L.A. natives who were in High School or under 30 in 1999-2000 would even tell you they like Kurupt "Streetz is a mutha" better than "2001." And most will pick Street Gospel and Rhythmalism over EVERY Snoop album after Doggystyle.

It's the overall fact that for the most part...the music that was catered most to a West Coast fan will hit us way harder, but isn't gonna reach everybody else the same. This is even why a Lesson head will pick Souls of Mischief/Hiero, Tha Liks, Blackalicious, Murs, and Digable over the Suga Free, Eastsidaz, Mac Dre, Keak type music.