Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI remember there was a debacle surrounding Technotronic as well...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2844181&mesg_id=2844435
2844435, I remember there was a debacle surrounding Technotronic as well...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Mon Sep-30-13 11:10 AM
They had some model who apparently didn't even know english pretending to do the rap in "Pump up the jam" when in reality it was some little tomboy looking chick doing the rap. C+C music factory and Black Box were more understandable to me because they used old, sampled Loleatta Holloway vocals for those hits.

But no, "noone" in europe cared, maybe they did ib england but the more "trashy" countries like Germany or Netherlands or Sweden (before we became hip) or Spain, people almost took it for granted that dance-pop songs were not REALLY sung by the artists on the covers/vdeos/etc.; I could never really understand the outrage.

Don't get me wrong, it was a *little* controversial. Here in sweden for example, the girl who did all the female singing on the Dr. Alban-hits as well as tons of other euro-dance songs was this overweight, white background-singer but she was never in the videos; I remember her coming out and crying about it and people thinking it was unfair but it sure as hell never ended any careers the way it did Milli anilli (or Technotronic or Black Box) in the US.