Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectnice review
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2840933&mesg_id=2842777
2842777, nice review
Posted by dafriquan, Mon Sep-23-13 01:24 AM
takes me back to early lessons when we used to write paragraphs about one song...lol
my enjoyment of an album used to be enhanced by reading other posters fleshed out thoughts on it in the lesson.

anyway i agree there is no GOAT level rapping on here but I think what Drake is doing with "flow" is often overlooked because he has more "lyrical" lyrics than say early Slum Village. Drake borrows heavily from Southern rap flows but there is a certain sharpness that he brings to the table by reigning in the "drawl". Drake's winning formula is that he is a true hybrid. He can comfortably mix (or alternate) with Southern isms with East Coast lyricism in way that most rappers from NYC were not be able to do organically. Interestingly enough, New York rappers that came after Drake seem to do this more naturally eg A$AP

If we can't yet crown Drake for his lyrics, his flow should put him in the running with hardly any competition. Kendrick is an even more adept master of flow but his vibe is a tad too "throwback". There is a certain "nowness" to the Drake sound that KL just cant match. Meek only has one flow and after a monster mixtape of hit singles, dropped an album that fell flat. J Cole is just a decent side show for young cats who were never around for "real hip-hop" and old heads like me who miss that type of rapping. I don't consider him a serious contender for that crown. Pusha T might as well be in his 50s. disqualified.

Drake might get the #1 spot soon even if its only by default and a lowered bar.