Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI'd say 'Get On the Floor' and 'Burn This Disco'
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2781381&mesg_id=2781489
2781489, I'd say 'Get On the Floor' and 'Burn This Disco'
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Mon Feb-25-13 08:59 AM
anticipate boogie more than rep for meat-and-potatoes disco. "Rock With You" too... if you listen to the beat, it's more of a one-two shuffle than four-on-floor.

I don't want to fall into trap of suggesting that if it ain't four on the floor, it ain't disco... but it's hard to escape that the sound is more like the style that became popular over the next couple of years and which is now thought of as a different genre... Of course, that is mostly retroactive taxonomy because it's not like there was an actual line drawn at the time; the "boogie" demarcation is relatively recent. At the time, a lot of people still called the shit "disco"--I know I did--and record stores still had their Disco sections, Billboard still had its Disco chart, etc. And if they didn't freely use the word "Disco," they still thought of the music as still being part of the same continuum.

(By the way, if it's any insight into how my mind works, I don't really consider "Boogie Oogie Oogie" to be real disco either... for me, that record marks the beginning of Boogie. To some extent, I feel the same about "Disco Nights (Rock Freak)"... All these records bear certain cosmetic trappings by which they endeared themselves to the disco market of the time, but rhythmically, they really had a different thing going on...)