Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: So why not Nas?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2774333&mesg_id=2774642
2774642, RE: So why not Nas?
Posted by Ketchums, Fri Feb-01-13 12:30 PM
>Nas is the same. But he's actually a better emcee.

Nas is a better emcee, Jay-Z makes better (IMO) and more accessible songs, with much better production.

>Nas weakness? Though he has plenty of connections.
Nas has connections, but he doesn't use them very often. Aside from a few exceptions, he has often stuck to his same crew. He'll appear on a song for someone else, but he doesn't make it a habit of enlisting these connections for his own works. Plus, his collaborations with others that are for his own work don't always highlight his own talents as brightly.

>Nas has consistently reinvented himself, more or less kept up
>with the times, but with less club hits.

Him keeping up with the times hasn't always resulted in fruitful music that doesn't alienate his fan base. It was cool for It Was Written, Distant Relatives and Life Is Good, but wasn't as heralded for his other work. Matter of fact, some of the biggest blemishes of Nas' career, in many peoples' minds, came from unsuccessful attempts to reinvent himself.

>
>>4.) He can make different types of songs. Girl songs, gutter
>>songs, storytelling songs, a good diss song or two,
>>shit-talking songs, etc. He's a pretty complete artist.
>
>Nas can do all this and more.

He's more versatile than people give him credit for, I'll give you that. But I don't think he's more versatile than Jay-Z.

>So why hasn't Nas had the same success? The relationship part?
>Lack of club bangers?

He could've utilized his relationships better, and as you said, he could improve with his club bangers. But I'm personally still pretty satisfied with his career as a whole. Still one of the GOATs.