Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectuh-oh, think I have to come back to this. it's too much for me right now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2760510&mesg_id=2762183
2762183, uh-oh, think I have to come back to this. it's too much for me right now
Posted by Bombastic, Sat Dec-08-12 03:25 PM
don't get me wrong it could end up being good but the overwhelming skinny-jean/glowstick-style of the sonics is something that I need to be more mentally prepared for than I was when I clicked 'play' on the stream.

I like that Big Boi said 'fuck it' & really went left with it, this is actually on first run-thru as jarring as Love Below was on Andre's side or maybe even 808 & Heartbreaks in terms of where each took it (because like this one, you were kinda aware of a sharp turn ahead but that still didn't mean you truly saw it until you got there).

I can't get over how dumb that 'Thom Pettie that ho, freeballing' screwed chorus is or why they kept Little Dragon on that one but switched on Mama Told Me (though when I got to that song I felt relief in the familiar & thought Kelly sounded fine on it).

This joint is almost like what 'Supernatural' was for Santana, a compilation album weaved around Big's flow like that one around Carlos' guitar-tone.

Feels almost like Big sending a message to his partner to say 'oh you the weird one? get off your ass & try to get weirder than this or stop fucking around & let's make another Kast album. Either way, I'm going in & gonna go get this festival tour money.'

Production-wise the Phantogram tracks sound best initially, Mama Told Me is the only song that sounds like it has any chance of being a big single & I kinda dig that slow Descending joint with Big singing alongside Little Dragon.

More than a couple of these hooks/singers give me that 'No make up today-day-day-day' feeling from Section 80 which is not a compliment.

By the time the UGK joint & She Said Ok come on at the end they feel like the bonus 'rap' tracks rather than part of the album we just heard but at that point Pimp C's voice feels like that moment when you bump into an old friend at a weird party where you don't really anybody except the host who's busy working the room.

Gave me the urge to put on 'Three Sixteens' at ear-splitting volume to splash some cold water on my face.

And c'mon, Bun.

Did you really need to use that zanger/fanger/stanger rhyme scheme from 'Sippin On Some Syrup' on this joint 12 years later?

We know you ain't really switched the flow up since Dirty Money but no need to rub it in our face, we've been through a lot already with this album.

Very premature assessment but the gut reaction is more 'yikes' than 'yeah' on first run thru.