Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: well, because we're talking about a doc on a rock band
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2756357&mesg_id=2756563
2756563, RE: well, because we're talking about a doc on a rock band
Posted by howisya, Fri Nov-16-12 02:09 PM
>But Spike is a great documentarian, I'd be cool with seeing
>him make a good one on a musical act based on 4 Little Girls,
>When The Levees Broke, The Original Kings Of Comedy & Jim
>Brown: All American while giving him a pass for the misfire
>that is Kobe Doin Work.

yeah, that was really my point, that he is a great documentarian with obvious expertise in black culture and music

>I still need to see it too but let's be honest, there's
>probably a reason neither of us hurried to catch it and that's
>my point: there's not a lot of acts that lend themselves as
>well to that kind of treatment.
>
>Those Wilco & Radiohead docs were *boring as fuck*.
>
>Just painfully dull.

i would say they were intentionally sterile; it was an artistic choice that fit thematically for those bands, which clearly lack the fireworks of a rolling stones.

>I thought Jigga's 'Fade To Black' was strong, might be one of
>the few on more recent acts that has been because along with
>the career narrative it had an angle & an event to piggyback
>sorta like 'The Last Waltz' did.

agreed, although personally i preferred the studio footage just because it was more fun for me to watch than the live performances... i'm a long-time jay fan with oddly no interest in ever seeing him live. to your point, it was a captivating film and a perfect example of what i am asking to see more of.

>On the rock or singer-songrwriter front the best music-related
>doc of the past decade or so is probably 'The Devil & Daniel
>Johnston' but not due to the actual music made by its
>subject.

i've been meaning to see that for years, not sure why i haven't since everything i've heard has been positive. although watched, enjoyed, and appreciated, this is sort of a different class of documentary than i am talking about that are big events, even garnering theatrical releases. i just think there is a little more room than the same few dinosaurs that get returned to year after year in the media. maybe it's just a matter of time and the people of our generation(s) will be doing justice to these musicians in the coming years, but young people seem so fickle about music that i'm just not sure about that. still, i don't mean to make this an age or recent music critique, a lot of older artists deserve some of the spotlight regularly given to the stones, dylan, the beatles, zeppelin, etc. there is room for a lot more stories to be told by many storytellers. as people/musicians are unique, so, too, do they deserve treatment unique to them.

>The 'Marley' doc was a bit choppy but still worthwhile as
>well.

another i plan to see soon