Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectwell, because we're talking about a doc on a rock band
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2756357&mesg_id=2756538
2756538, well, because we're talking about a doc on a rock band
Posted by Bombastic, Fri Nov-16-12 01:02 PM
so that seemed like a logical extension.

I'm familiar to the point of near-exhaustion with Dylan or The Stones, nonetheless I enjoyed this special & the PBS' Scorsese one on Dylan because both were done well.

Why beef about them existing, it's not like they're taking a slot that would have gone to a younger act if either hadn't been made.

I'd love to see lots of folks get the full-scale feature-film documentary treatment.

It's not on the Stones or Dylan for having musical legacies, cultural impact & peaking during the time period they came about in that happens to lend itself to better myth-making & entertaining narrative.

I mean your thought was what Rappaport tried to give Tribe this treatment & fucked it up horribly because he's a limited actor turned amateur filmmaker.

I'm sure that Cameron Crowe Pearl Jam one was boring as shit as well because frankly from a personality standpoint the band is.

Pearl Jam's war with Ticketmaster or Phife being mad Tip thinks he's a fat jealous runt are just not as interesting onscreen as the debacle at Altamont, Hyde Park two days after Jones died, the steps of Washington with MLK or the mad folks at Newport Folk Festival.

*shrug*