Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectBand Style/identity vs. serving the song/good songwriting
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2741863&mesg_id=2742684
2742684, Band Style/identity vs. serving the song/good songwriting
Posted by c71, Sat Sep-22-12 08:09 AM
I appreciate good songs but as a music lover, I am more into "band style/identity" than a band or artist striving to be a good songwriter(s).

Good songwriting to me usually leads to the "one hit wonder" thing. I know there is the Beatles, Maroon 5 and even Rihanna has more than one hit but when a new band or artist is known for a good song, that seems like shaky ground to the proverbial "well drying up".

But..........

when a band is known for having an over-riding identity or style, that to me leads to LP after LP of material that explores that sound/style, which is more satisfying to me than: "oh, I hope Matchbox Twenty can come up with another song as good as "Disease".

Take for instance Fugazi's CD "End Hits" song after song on that CD has Fugazi's style: strange/atonal guitar lines, stong bass lines, etc. Someone could say, "no, Fugazi was trying to give each song on "End Hits" its own character" but to me, nah, almost each song on "End Hits" cd has that Fugazi style/stamp/identity on it, and that is what I want usually over "serving the song".