Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI'll say that you're both right
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2702045&mesg_id=2702267
2702267, I'll say that you're both right
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed May-23-12 06:48 AM
"T.R.O.Y." is held in high esteem, Pete made a purse out of a sow's ear (and even Tom Scott agrees), and for the most part, it was left alone. People sampled it, but they didn't really stray from the vibe of the song.

>I'm sorry...
>
>Covers/beat jacks/ tributes
>
>whatever you want to call them
>
>have BEEN happening

^^^^ this is correct. Snoop has done it often. It wasn't always liked, but for the most part people didn't trip.

Black Star covered "Children's Story" and flipped it. People didn't trip.

Beanie Sigel and Memph Bleek took on EPMD's "So Whatcha Saying" respectably. Beanie also did his own take on "Beats To The Rhyme".

Cam'ron redid "Bout It Bout It". Jim Jones redid "Boyz In The Hood".

Now some extremists would have called them BITING, but each one of them put their own personal take on those songs.

>The only difference here is that its Lupe + Pete Rock
>literally crying on the web.

I don't think so here. I will acknowledge some might be like "oh, there go Lupe again..." but really, if it wasn't Lupe and someone put out THAT beat, I think Pete Rock would have still cried foul. Because even though you could easily call it a tribute, the beatmaker simply did not go far enough to make his track better than Pete's.

Pete even prefaced his comments with being a fan of Lupe. He just didn't like someone taking his idea and not doing anything dope with it. I guess you can liken that to people who don't like their work being sampled, but I think it's more like Miles Davis talking about people making wack covers of songs he wrote.