Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: does Pete's response prove there are no hip hop covers? [not accepted]
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2702045&mesg_id=2702063
2702063, RE: does Pete's response prove there are no hip hop covers? [not accepted]
Posted by Li Mu Bai, Tue May-22-12 07:30 PM
the same conversation is going on on my fb page as we speak. swizzy.....

Tee Love it's a STRAIGHT jack tho. i think lupe intends for this shit to be iconic somehow and he's piggy-backing off of pete rock in the process, imo.
5 hours ago · Like
'Prince' Vaughn Sanders lol, he's buggin like soulja boy got on n destroyed it... atleast wasalu speaks about somethin... im pretty sure majority of hip hop today and back then is sample after sample so... he needs to go sit down
4 hours ago · Like
Lilian Chavez Pete got the permission/blessing from the person he sampled.
4 hours ago via mobile · Like
Jeremy Roshun WHo told you that^^ naaah he didnt either, it was a big thing because the label had to go back and get aaaall those samples cleared.
4 hours ago · Like
Jeremy Roshun Anyways, PEte as much as i love you soul brotha.. You gots to chill.. He didnt even make the beat, besides, you sampled as well.. so an angry sampler being mad about a sample is kind of dumb..
4 hours ago · Like
Tee Love so as long as you rap conscious you can jack anything you want?
4 hours ago · Like · 1
Jeremy Roshun if sampling is jacking, isn't pete rock jack the ripper?
4 hours ago · Like
Lilian Chavez Jeremy: Pete Rock did. He even got a co-sign. Go read his Twitter TL. T.R.O.Y. was a heart-felt personal tribute. It wasn't just any regular joint to Pete. THAT'S what got to Pete. Plus the fact that the person who did the beat for Lupe did...
See More
Lilian Chavez The fact that nothing was really done to the beat makes it a "beat jack" and furthermore makes it messed up that Lu is taking a step further into selling it.
Lilian Chavez Lu has already rapped over the beat and released it before (the song "Dope Boy") but he didn't sell it for profit because the beat wasn't his. I think that's why Pete didn't make it a big deal before.
3 hours ago via mobile · Like
Tee Love ‎^^^knows her shit^^^
3 hours ago · Like
Jeremy Roshun Yeh if only it were true though, dont believe the twitter hype Lilian.. I know the truth behind that and HE didnt clear anything.. The labels did..
3 hours ago · Like
Jeremy Roshun Don't catch a frog and call it a snake because your best friend told you it was a snake.. ITS NOT EITHER OF THEIR SONG lol.. They both sampled, thats like the handicapped man with paper clip legs gets mad that a child with the same paper clip legs runs faster than he does.. think about it..
3 hours ago · Like
Lilian Chavez even if they did. He ended up getting it cleared. Lupe didn't and he also didn't get the sample flipped or any of that, which makes it a beat-jack.
Lilian Chavez Selling a beat jack? No dice. And Lupe knows that's wrong which is why he never sold "Dope Boy".
Jeremy Roshun He used the same sample, not a complete beat jack... what are you talking about.. Tom Scott is the one that should be mad...
3 hours ago · Like
Lilian Chavez He's selling this one wrongfully. And I don't know of a producer who calls a beat-jack "sampling". Obviously I'm not seeing something you are. So what is it exactly that was DIFFERENTLY sampled on "Around My Way" that set it apart from T.R.O.Y. that makes it sampled vs a beat jack?
Tee Love Tom Scott should be mad? He's the originator of the element that makes that song memorable, right? my guess is that pete rock probably ended up doing a favor for dude cuz a lot of other people had to take notice of his catalog because pete ...
See More
3 hours ago · Like · 1
Lilian Chavez Once again, I'm talking "sampling". Not the weak drums that were poorly added. Tom Scott was sampled. His whole beat wasn't taken and sprinkled with weak drums.
Tee Love hmph. speak of the devil. the same convo is going on here-------->http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2702045&mesg_id=2702045&page

Okayplayer.com Boards - Viewing topic #2702045 - does Pete's response prove there are no hip hop cov
board.okayplayer.com
lolpete's responseMinutes after Lupe Fiasco debuted his new single "Around My Wa...