Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecti know personally
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2697376&mesg_id=2697856
2697856, i know personally
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Fri May-11-12 06:33 PM
i feel putoff when i feel an artist is making 'Black' music and is apeing the aesthetic but doesn't respect the social conditions or emotional space that made the original Black artist(s) make the music they made.

i guess i ought to and kinda would feel putoff if I heard a European Country artist. i would think, they have 'their' own circumstances of their life, how could it be that they could make authentic American Country music. but then again, Americans make well-crafted European Classical music and i wouldn't think, 'those musicians are bougie or wannabees.'

i also don't feel that acts like The Beatles or maybe The Rolling Stones or even modern day Rock acts who have musicians that are White are apeing Black music. in the case of The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, i think it's because they at least really respected the music of the people they were influenced by and also added a unique, authentic part of themselves in the music and in the case of the White Rock acts i feel they're just not really serious musicians or that they just have a different take on things.