Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecti see what you mean
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2697376&mesg_id=2697847
2697847, i see what you mean
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Fri May-11-12 06:07 PM
but that wasn't what i was hoping to get at in my post.

i was being kind of arrogant, but i was wondering why more artists don't respect the craft of making music and use it as a means of expression or an avenue for creativity and the simple enjoyment of liking music and liking music that is both enjoyable and challenging.

i know there have been musicians 'use' music for financial gain and to prop up their own ego since music has been made, but there have always been musicians whose skill and talent and ability to convey meaning in their work.

it seems given the way music gets presented to people that people don't respect artists who are talented and respect their audience and listen to really unfufilling music. i know part of my feelings are me being unwilling to accept modern music for what it is and give new things a chance, but part of me feels that there's just a dearth of music that overpowers you and makes you feel that sense of 'rightness' that you feel when you hear something really, really good.

i mean Jay-Z is probably known as the best rapper / artist in popular Black music and he's talented and skilled, but he's also as well known for riding trends and making music that's hot right now rather than playing what he individually feels is good and making a lane for himself (American Gangster might be an exception, but...)

maybe i'm just stuck in the past and don't know what's good now to determine who or what is 'next', but i just don't run across anything made recently that gives me 'that' feeling.

* goes back to listening to Main Source *