Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I hate these kinds of opinions
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2670064&mesg_id=2670450
2670450, RE: I hate these kinds of opinions
Posted by djwallysparks, Tue Mar-06-12 10:34 AM
>>I STILL think KRIT's records are not only in their ballparks
>but in >most cases legitimately better than all but OutKast's
>first trio of >
>>albums.
>you obvioulsy weren't really a huge fan of 8ball & mjg if you
>think its touching "coming out hard" "on top of the
>world"...lol
>its laughable.
>i'm not even getting into ugk.
>you guys obviously weren't fans of that shit...stop fronting

I was around. I'm 34. I lived in Tennessee my whole life until last year. I listened to to 8Ball & MJG, UGK, Outkast etc. when they made their initial impact before 1995.

I'm also KRIT's friend and DJ.

It was KRIT's ability to manifest the same type of feeling I got from listening to that early Southern rap without it sounding like a cheap imitation that I sought him out to work with him when he was an 18 year old kid.

I've sat in on conversations with KRIT and the artists most people are critical of him "biting" or emulating where said artists are giving KRIT glowing commendation for doing what he is doing and making his own sound based on the influence their work had on him.

That's why I always get kick out of the opinion shared by those that say "if you listened to UGK, 8Ball & MJG, 3-6 Mafia etc you'd understand why I don't rock with KRIT like that".

Especially when all of the Southern rap royalty and I do mean all of them have put their arm around him and embraced him. Or, they've reached out wanting to work. I've seen them all say job well done to his face.