Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI mean personal taste is that - but you have to be kidding Maxx
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2662045&mesg_id=2663676
2663676, I mean personal taste is that - but you have to be kidding Maxx
Posted by Artful Dodger, Fri Feb-17-12 07:04 PM
first a better singer?

Thats subjective. Who says everyone likes all that gospel sanging sanging? Not everyone does. I'll take Bob Dylan over Fantasia any day - why? CAuse he's a great artist and she is merely a product of the industry. First Prince is even held in the highest regard by Lionel Richie who Prince upstaged at the American Music Awards when they sang together and Prince started out on a extremely high note (literally) there is a picture of Lionel's face and hes in complete disbelief. He's even quoted as saying Prince was a force, the most talented musician he'd ever encountered. You hear that more and more from everyone from Alan Leeds to Quincy. You cannot just discount that for a couple of hit wonders like Freddy Jackson.

A singer from the machine tends to sing anything - cause there are no morals there. An artist like Prince on the other hand tends to pick and choose and not cause of talent - cause of reason.

Now I wont do a back and forth on Freddy Jackson cause Im laughing as I type this. Freddy Jackson may be good live - I would never use BET soundstage performanes as a guide - me personally but I will check it out.

Prince has influenced three decades of music - hell four if you count his first two albums - Freddy Jackson has done the same song and dance you would expect from any run of the mill R&b artist -

Jam Tonight?
You Are My Lady?

Haha... man Miles Davis talks about Prince in his autobiography - Eric Clapton is afraid of the man - Marcus Miller said he couldn't keep up with him if he tried. Prince's musical legacy is felt worldwide and is only mentioned in the same breadth as TRUE legends - not fake made up ones - true legends like Jimi Hendrix, Santana, James Brown.

Freddy jackson's biggest moment? The fundraising charity scene from King of New York.

With all due respect - to place Rick beyond Prince, that's an argument - even though it really isn't an argument at all. To compare Freddy Jackson or even bring his name up cause of one good performance on BET - disqualfies you from the convo. Haha..

Im kidding, Im kidding - but that really is like saying Color Me Bad was better than the Time.

You know I love you brother but your really gonna have to sell me on this one. The Rick thing I get - the D'Angelo thing (although you went HUURRRddd) I get - but this? The Rkelly thing i will never ever get but we do agree on his work ethic.