Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Yep.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2604474&mesg_id=2604617
2604617, RE: Yep.
Posted by denny, Wed Sep-21-11 02:22 AM
You can definitely hear a Rakim thing in the DOC's syncopated flows and rhythms. The only cuss I remember from that record is 'lend me a motherfucking ear' which hits so perfectly and effectively. Almost sounds like Dre had to convince him to say that there. I remember using that shit as an edit point for pause mixtapes cause it was so climatic. But other than that...I can't remember any other cusses neither but they might be a couple here and there.

Fact is....I never considered DOC a gangster rapper. I always seen him more as a pure talent without a gimmick and all skills. Partly why I wanna see a bio/unsung thing on him is cause there are alot of things I don't know. You can hear an obvious latino influence in some of his raps...like on 'Funky Enough'. Also some west indian things in different places. I have no idea what his roots are or how that came to be though.

Can't say enough about that record. I'd like to see a complete and thorough explanation of his later contributions as well. Everything is kinda vague. His story needs to be told.