Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTaboo & or uncommon opions…
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13504267
13504267, Taboo & or uncommon opions…
Posted by 3CardMolly, Fri May-17-24 07:50 AM
I’ve noticed a lot of people self-diagnosing themselves with autism all over social media. Some are calling for laws to be seen as a discriminated population. It’s gimmicky asl, also we’re probably all on the spectrum on some level.
13504273, OCD and ADHD are popular ones
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri May-17-24 08:53 AM
Always hated hearing someone self diagnose and chuckle about their OCD. People who really have that shit aren’t giggling about it.

I do wonder if some of these kids with ADHD are just being fucking kids. They get rid of arts and recess and wonder why kids are all over the place in class rooms. What kid wants to spend all day studying for standardized test? Some of them are bored or probably need more challenging curriculum
13504397, That testing is hell on the kids
Posted by 3CardMolly, Sun May-19-24 10:49 PM
About a week ago the kids had to take a reading just a weeks after taking the psat and some other standardized test.
Some of my kids just said f&ck. I tried bribing a kid w/ a juice and she stayed deep in her protest. All I could do was raise the black fist and say ‘more power to you sis’. She eventually logged in and finished the test.
One of the guys started the test but after staring at the screen for 5-7 mins, he stopped, said f&ck this sh!t, pulled chairs together and rested his eyes. Another girl student also complained about the screen making her sleepy but made it through.

The kids (h.s) were over it. Sad thing is they cant get the test in paper form and I believe that all or the majority of the test are online only.
13504274, A lot of the "self-diagnosed on social media" probably want attention...
Posted by flipnile, Fri May-17-24 09:05 AM
...or drugs, or special treatment. or all three.

I remember people back in college lying about having ADD (now ADHD) so they could get prescriptions for ritalin.

Most people that I've known on the autism spectrum mask like hell to avoid being treated like shit by other people, not making social media post about it. *Most* not all tho. I'm sure a small percentage on SM are real about it, and are doing it to spread awareness.

>I’ve noticed a lot of people self-diagnosing themselves
>with autism all over social media. Some are calling for laws
>to be seen as a discriminated population.
>It’s gimmicky asl,

>also we’re probably all on the spectrum on some level.

Definitely NOT. At all.
13504398, The spectrum is so wide
Posted by 3CardMolly, Sun May-19-24 10:50 PM
We honestly would not know.
13504277, My kid was diagnosed as ADHD/Dyslexic
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri May-17-24 09:25 AM
My wife cried and went to all sorts of emotions about it but I didn't really sweat it because all the traits they described about it are things I have and do. I mean I want to lightweight self-diagnose based on this experience but I don't think I would seriously do it.

The thing about it. It was probably a blessing to catch early because it just meant adjusting the way he learned. He did do medication for a couple of years and it was helpful in teaching him to focus but we were easily able to taper it off.

Now he is the kid who reads for pleasure more than his brother. We kinda wished we had diagnosed him and did early intervention to train him better how to focus.

Other than that the diagnoses is mainly a kid being a kid and is more a personality/learning type IMHOP more than a malady of any sort.

Like this is the kid that likes MF Doom and Tyler the Creator while his brother loves Drake and other pop acts and I know the diagnoses and the way he sees the world is part of it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13504307, That Cosby episode where they found out Theo might be Dyslexic
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri May-17-24 12:27 PM
Cliff: I hope you fail
Theo: I’ll try not to let you down Dad

and Vanessa like “all those times you punished him for bad grades and he had dyslexia”

definitely something parents should get tested if a kid struggles in school.

13504399, Sounds like a great kid.
Posted by 3CardMolly, Sun May-19-24 10:55 PM
Early diagnosis does help. Sometimes you’ll have a physician that’ll be against it claim from their basic examination that there’s no concern. Good thing your docs didnt play that game and took it seriously.
13504405, speech to text and text to to speech
Posted by fif, Sun May-19-24 11:24 PM
coming implementations of these may be a blessing for your son, might want to keep an eye on that space. great that he got his sight-reading up. listening to doom, etc...common for dyslexics to have great phonological processing. if focus is issue, he might actually be great at focusing and RETAINING high level info that comes thru his ears. books, podcasts, lectures, interviews. and with the new tech you can have any words read aloud. so u could shoot him a 5 min article u think would do him good and he can throw it in his earbuds. so many great sources of wise intelligent people talking on yt, etc. this has been an underrated info revolution cuz ppl are enamoured by visuals.

and now we can speak to the machines (eg voice inputs to gpt-4) and get info coursing thru our ears licketysplit. have talked to two dyslexic friends about this, this new tech can be a mind revolution for some. best of luck. no studies i know showing adhd/dyslexia is caused by ingesting gnats so rest easy there.
13504403, dsm 5 psychobabble has become a new religion for many
Posted by fif, Sun May-19-24 11:05 PM
aint got millenia behind it though. far greater skepticism about mental health claims would do society good. it is not hard to become a "therapist". self-elected priest class. proceed with caution. psychology is not a real science. neuroscience tells us almost nothing. human psyche remains a mystery, dont let em tell u otherwise. slicing and dicing the joie de vivre outta life like mean puritan puckered up ladies. ok ok
13504407, for those with kids
Posted by fif, Sun May-19-24 11:41 PM
looking into a high quality fmri to go along with whatever diagnosis. could be worth paying for. a lot can be told from looking at resting-state functional connectivity. can be much more efficient route than multiple psychiatrists throwing darts a bit blindfolded. not sure on prices here.

also, handedness. any lefties you meet. not all, but many...are wired a bit different. can be a blessing really, but helps if
parents understand it. ~98% of right-handed people process language predominantly in left-hemisphere. 70% of lefties do too. the remaining 30% are the odd ones. learning some about this helped me understand things about myself.
13504404, what constitutes a fidget (c) Tony Soprano
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun May-19-24 11:23 PM
13504408, could y'all stay in this thread and never come out?
Posted by Rjcc, Mon May-20-24 02:12 AM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13504409, lol why dont u share
Posted by fif, Mon May-20-24 02:17 AM
you are in a judgment free zone

what the head docs say u got bud
13504412, i typed a list of what i think u got rjcc
Posted by fif, Mon May-20-24 03:12 AM
but in the spirit of mental health kumbaya, i won't post it unless you continue being an asshole. rjcc mental health bingo would be a good okp party game. but getting along is nice too. have a good monday. hope you write some good stories this week.
13504419, what I got doesn't make me want to feel smart by explaining things
Posted by Rjcc, Mon May-20-24 07:56 AM
to 3cardmolly

13504451, and yet you pop your funky face into every one of my post
Posted by 3CardMolly, Mon May-20-24 11:09 AM
stop post stalking ya creep.
13504423, Playing “mental health bingo” about people is kind of gross
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon May-20-24 08:46 AM
>but in the spirit of mental health kumbaya, i won't post it
>unless you continue being an asshole. rjcc mental health bingo
>would be a good okp party game. but getting along is nice too.
>have a good monday. hope you write some good stories this
>week.

Formulating armchair diagnosis of people and even fake threatening to tell people about your armchair diagnosis is gross.

As is publicly asking someone “what the head docs say they got”.

None of that is cool.
13504524, RE: Playing “mental health bingo” about people is kind of gross
Posted by fif, Mon May-20-24 03:48 PM
rjcc has for years been more than kind of gross.

he is wired for negativity. he has problems. list posts where he makes a positive contribution to the discussion. list posts where he attempts to belittle people. which is easier? he has the worst vibes of anyone on the board and that's not a good thing for anyone.
13504534, None of that has anything with you wanting play mental health bingo
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon May-20-24 04:58 PM
13504544, i want him to stop putting people down and shutting down
Posted by fif, Mon May-20-24 07:52 PM
discussions with his incoherent bullshit.

im typing fast in this thread, am i 100% certain about every last word? no. but im putting my thoughts out there. what does he do? he comes in acting like he knows better than everyone and contributes zilch except...putdowns.

mental health bingo for someone as nasty as him? no, i don't feel bad about that. when someone is the kind of fucked in the head that makes them nasty to other people, the "respect neurodivergence" stuff goes out the window.
13504557, some advice
Posted by Rjcc, Tue May-21-24 07:24 AM
you should not devote this much time to worrying me

if there's something you don't do because it makes you feel bad to do it, don't let me knock you off your square.

or do, because you're a liar, and you actually deeply enjoy that shit and you were just waiting for an excuse you could give yourself. it's not something that makes a difference to me.

13504586, thank you pal
Posted by fif, Tue May-21-24 12:54 PM
im not sure what it means but thanks.

i find it odd how much disdain you have for posters here. and how you police discussions with cryptic angry bs. my advice would be to do less ad hominem and figure out how to get the cert situation fixed for good. ppl have offered to pay. some clarity about all that would be appreciated. a very fixable problem. you don't seem to like most people here or the fact okp still exists at all. i think the place might become more interesting if leaders like u actually cared a little and tried but u seem pretty pessimistic about the whole thing. what can we expect going forward? expired certs all the time? mean mods? i know everything here just sort of happens, but there are probably levers to pull to foster better conversation. but your engagement is more trolling, sabotage. too cool for school. will u scoff? probably. but why not try to give this place more life instead of cheering its decline?
13504613, the expired cert thing is actually my fault
Posted by Rjcc, Tue May-21-24 07:01 PM
I could fix it but I just don't because I'm that kind of guy

(I feel like I should be clear that this is satire)

13504616, pass the buck pass the buck
Posted by fif, Tue May-21-24 07:09 PM
who am i to deny rjcc his Natural way of saying hiii
13504641, you're right, I should fix it and that I haven't is a stain upon my legacy
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-22-24 08:02 AM

13504559, bro, I don't know who you are.
Posted by Rjcc, Tue May-21-24 07:28 AM
but apparently you have a list of my various misdeeds, AND a ranking of my vibes

I would like to see this list.

13504587, you came in shooting at every poster in here
Posted by fif, Tue May-21-24 01:01 PM
and were probably gonna duck out, smug.

all im saying is u r a bully and y r u that way? there r better ways 2 b
13504642, this thing where you write fanfic about what I might do
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-22-24 08:04 AM
is bizarre, and I don't know why you'd present your own assumptions as incorrect

13504449, No one here summoned your evil trifocal blah face ass
Posted by 3CardMolly, Mon May-20-24 10:57 AM
shoo fly
13504560, lol yep
Posted by Amritsar, Tue May-21-24 08:09 AM
Like one of them off kilter subreddits
13504410, “We’re all_______” statements tend to come across as dismissive.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon May-20-24 02:26 AM
>with autism all over social media.

Quick question- is it evident that all of these are people actually diagnosing themselves, or are people talking about it and you’re assuming it’s a self-diagnosis?

Personally, I’ve heard people say “I think I’m autistic”, but usually in a way that suggests thinking out loud more than an actual self diagnosis.

I do see it with things like OCD a lot, but it’s often pretty clear that they don’t have any real understanding of actual OCD. I.E, “OMG I’m so OCD, I can’t stand not having a clean house”.

Point being, I see those tendencies, but I also don’t know whether most people who say such things have actual diagnosis.

>also we’re probably all on the spectrum on some level.

I mean, maybe.

But there are degrees to things, and statements like this come across as dismissive to people who are on the spectrum in ways that present significant challenges.

Most of us experience similar things (obviously there are outliers and situations that are specific to a given demographic). Because of those commonalities, we could easily reduce most things to a low common denominator somewhere on the chain and present things as though everyone is on even footing.

I’m not saying that’s your intent, but that’s the net effect.

Three people can have (pick a diagnosis/challenge) and each can have a decidedly different experience set of challenges. Just my perspective.
13504411, it all exists along a spectrum
Posted by fif, Mon May-20-24 02:55 AM
a 13 year old who can't talk and rocks himself back and forth and...some awkward tech guy who functions well enough to pull 6 figures...are on the same spectrum? people are messy. it's not easy to define/assess theory of mind, social processing. neurological tests can help but it's a mess.

and it's a mess of language. calling what is going on with the first kid and with the tech guy by the same name just leads to confusion.

people are complex. it's important that we treat each other as individuals first. it's good for parents to understand what the doctors make of their kids. but it's important to realize that no doctor can "solve" your kid. no pill. too much faith in shrinks can be dehumanizing. im not anti-all psychopharmaceuticals or anti-going to a psychiatrist. but parents should not think they have all the answers like they are holy people with long beards and uma thurman.

ocd...a lot of people have checking behaviors, but most people can get out their house and go about their day, don't spend hours spinning through checklists.

i think above all it's important to remember that people are individuals and generalizing from one person to another, throwing names made up fairly recently, can do more harm than good. people have recently been using them as an excuse. i know a couple who talk about nothing but their latest diagnoses, their new therapist vs their old therapist blah blah blah. for them, imo, they are being held back by their approach. guy couldnt do something for a holiday because was meeting with his new therapist the next day. ok bruh, uh have fun?

but that is one person. one couple anyhow. everyone is different.
13504418, Yes.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Mon May-20-24 07:54 AM
>a 13 year old who can't talk and rocks himself back and forth
>and...some awkward tech guy who functions well enough to pull
>6 figures...are on the same spectrum?

That's literally what a spectrum is. Red look a lot different from blue. People way more studied than you or me have used their knowledge and experience to create these definitions. The mental processes of that awkward tech guy have more in common with that 13-year-old than with you. Fortunately we have developed sciences to study this that go deeper than 'people are messy.'

A lot of 'uncommon opinions' are really just 'I know more/better than the experts' opinions.
13504528, that is all babble
Posted by fif, Mon May-20-24 04:08 PM
"more in common"? do they? what does this mean?

psychology is NOT a science, sorry yall. what falsifiable claims does it make about people? it has almost no predictive power about individuals. it lumps people into good enough categories. can this be helpful? yes. can this lead to people concretizing hazy notions about themselves and other people? yes. do you think the DSM-10 is going to look much like the DSM-5? the DSM-III came out in 1980 and tried to nail a lot down...and look how it all keeps shifting. it doesn't work well across cultures, it doesn't work well as social norms have rapidly shifted. it is better for some things than others. it provides frameworks, it is not describing the way matter moves in the world, it is not looking at humans the way biologists look at cells.

this is not as settled as many of you think. my point in speaking up is not to dismiss all of psychology whole cloth, but to push back against view like the one above. look at the curriculum psychologists take to get certified. it doesnt give them special powers.
13504420, this is not the meaning of spectrum disorder
Posted by Rjcc, Mon May-20-24 07:58 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_disorder

and it would be great if more people knew that

13504529, try to explain what it means then
Posted by fif, Mon May-20-24 04:19 PM
i'll wait. read your own link and try to parse it. it devolves into gibberish. ASD lumps people who have very little in common together. is there are many many more subtypes of people than are acknowledged. psychology as a science can't define the categories properly because humans are extremely complex and we can't vivisect the human nervous system and watch what it is going on in the brain with any granularity. what did people do before modern psychiatry? they managed somehow, yea? what insights does it bring? and what illusions? it is not this fountain of clarity and wisdom that many take it to be. people are confusing, psychology does not have all the answers. it will be better in 50 years and these advances will come by looking at what the brain is actually doing. it is up to everyone to decide if this is what we actually want. do you want to take your kids to an fmri and learn that they are dim, not wired to be astronauts?
13504556, it means that the disorder is defined as having multiple conditions
Posted by Rjcc, Tue May-21-24 07:21 AM
contained within the spectrum

"where conditions on this spectrum may now all be referred to as autism spectrum disorders."

it does not mean that your experience puts you somewhere on the spectrum.

this isn't a question of how complex humanity is. it's literally just what the word spectrum means in this case.

13504592, first sentence of your wiki link
Posted by fif, Tue May-21-24 01:34 PM
"A spectrum disorder is a disorder that includes a range of linked conditions, sometimes also extending to include singular symptoms and traits."

_also extending to singular symptoms and traits_

the whole world becomes involved. the definition is far too broad to be meaningful. it is hard to categorize people especially when the tools are self-report, clinician assessments.

advances in brain imaging and IDing genes associated with autism, schizotypy, etc will likely give us better precision. but are a very ethically thorny area.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0959438814002050

would u like to know whether your teenager is at risk for a psychotic break at some point in young adulthood? maybe so, maybe no. but its likely we can begin to put probabilities on such things soon. people are more comfortable with the current model of diagnosis but it is not always very accurate or usefully descriptive.

i am not against talk therapy. im against certain forms you could say. i think there is a lot of promise in certain modalities getting honed better and taught more widely. eg ifs parts, various somato-sensory modalities, etc. normalization of psilocybin as a "medicine". more cautious normalization of MDMA. more investigation into ketamine.

there is a problem with therapist education and quality though. not everyone with a cert is going to be capable of providing the same care. some people have a gift, others not so much. some of the 'others not so much' apply the dsm-v and psychopharmaceuticals in a rote way that is not ideal. sometimes this helps, sometimes it doesn't. but it often circumvents deeper interventions, a deeper understanding of and relationship with the patient that, if fostered, could lead to better results, more lasting change for the better in the person seeking help.
13504614, brother. you can literally ask a doctor about this.
Posted by Rjcc, Tue May-21-24 07:02 PM
you don't have to rely on your own poor reading skills.

and you definitely don't have to take my word for it.

there is at least a third option, if not a fourth, fifth, sixth, or seventh.

13504615, yes there is complete unanimity in the psych community about this
Posted by fif, Tue May-21-24 07:08 PM
im sorry i didn't realize. i do talk to docs and therapists, guy. they say i'm very special and valuable just the way i am and that im not to forget it, not ever
13504640, about what words mean, when it comes to specific terms
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-22-24 08:02 AM
I think you'd be surprised what you found out if you asked

but you haven't asked because

13504558, me: the word spectrum means you have multiple conditions
Posted by Rjcc, Tue May-21-24 07:26 AM

you: "do you want to take your kids to an fmri and learn that they are dim, not wired to be astronauts?"

this is a really strange response from you

13504422, I think we’re making very different points
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon May-20-24 08:40 AM
I’m talking about the way we respond to someone who is dealing with pretty much anything.

If person A expresses that they are seriously, deeply, clinically depressed and person B says “we all get the blues”, that’s a dismissal of what person A has expressed, reducing their own direct, lived experience to common generalities rather than meeting them where they are.

Plug any personal issue into that equation and the effect is similar.

“You’re dealing with _______? Yeah we all deal with that to some degree.”

It reduces their situation to a pissing contest where we’re all the same, as though even similar basic circumstances can’t lead to wildly different challenges, outcomes, experiences.
13504465, RE: I think we’re making very different points
Posted by 3CardMolly, Mon May-20-24 12:24 PM
Commonly if someone says they are depressed or feeling some kinda way, most people will ask if they know what's making them feel that way, some might ask what they can do to help. If the person says they feel depressed about the end of the school year or a common situation, then most will say something to let them know they are not alone in their feelings.

I don't think thats being dismissive, but someone looking to relate to that person's feelings. Now in some cases you will have someone say 'shake that shit off, we all go through it' and yes that is dismissive and much like everything else it's not just what you say but how you say it.
13504708, the problem is saying it to mean relatable doesn't mean it will be taken
Posted by tariqhu, Fri May-24-24 09:49 AM
that way. the receiver of that communication can see it as dismissive.

it may be well meaning, but could have a different impact for the person hearing it.
13504751, RE: the problem is saying it to mean relatable doesn't mean it will be taken
Posted by 3CardMolly, Mon May-27-24 01:43 AM
And thats the difference in reading words and hearing them.
Consider it miscommunication if you will, dismissiveness was not the intent.
13504460, RE: “We’re all_______” statements tend to come across as dismissive.
Posted by 3CardMolly, Mon May-20-24 11:55 AM
>>I’ve noticed a lot of people self-diagnosing themselves
>>with autism all over social media.
>
>Quick question- is it evident that all of these are people
>actually diagnosing themselves, or are people talking about it
>and you’re assuming it’s a self-diagnosis?

Some are were diagnosed by a physician, however the 'a lot' I'm mentioning are people who have self-diagnosed. A young cousin self-diagnosed based on her partner who was diagnosed by a physician. If you try to ask them 'what makes you so sure?', they state common themes that most anyone does.
To some degree I blame their mom for placing munchausen syndrome on them and having them and all siblings diagnosed at a young age for whatever could put an extra buck in her pocket and take off the pressure of actually parenting.

>Personally, I’ve heard people say “I think I’m
>autistic”, but usually in a way that suggests thinking out
>loud more than an actual self diagnosis.
>
>I do see it with things like OCD a lot, but it’s often
>pretty clear that they don’t have any real understanding of
>actual OCD. I.E, “OMG I’m so OCD, I can’t stand not
>having a clean house”.
>
>Point being, I see those tendencies, but I also don’t know
>whether most people who say such things have actual diagnosis.

It's become a catchy thing to say.
>
>
>>also we’re probably all on the spectrum on some level.
>
>I mean, maybe.
>
>But there are degrees to things, and statements like this come
>across as dismissive to people who are on the spectrum in ways
>that present significant challenges.
>
>Most of us experience similar things (obviously there are
>outliers and situations that are specific to a given
>demographic). Because of those commonalities, we could easily
>reduce most things to a low common denominator somewhere on
>the chain and present things as though everyone is on even
>footing.
>
>I’m not saying that’s your intent, but that’s the net
>effect.
>
>Three people can have (pick a diagnosis/challenge) and each
>can have a decidedly different experience set of challenges.
>Just my perspective.

I don't mean to come off as dismissive, but the autism spectrum by level(high functioning/low functioning) is not well de-fined. Could it be there's certain areas of the spectrum many of us fit in at various times of our lives?
Can one grow out or receive therapy to overcome autism?
When it comes to masking, based on society aren't we all trained in some way on how present ourselves in certain settings? I know this comes off as we all have it, but there seems to be a push online for anyone that wants to claim it to self-diagnose from the comfort of their computer or phone.

There's also a push for those who are or claim neurodiversity to be part of a minority subculture or movement that is discriminated against. I honestly have never heard of anyone who had autism or any neurodivergent person being discriminated against, let me also say that those leading this movement appear mainly white women.

13504492, this is not what spectrum disorder means in this instance
Posted by Rjcc, Mon May-20-24 01:43 PM
"I don't mean to come off as dismissive, but the autism spectrum by level(high functioning/low functioning) is not well de-fined. Could it be there's certain areas of the spectrum many of us fit in at various times of our lives?"

I don't expect 3cardmolly to read, but a lot of people could look a lot less stupid discussing these things if they just read what the word spectrum refers to.

It is not like a color spectrum, we are not all somewhere on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_disorder#:~:text=A%20spectrum%20disorder%20is%20a,by%20the%20same%20underlying%20mechanism.

"In some cases, a spectrum approach joins conditions that were previously considered separately. A notable example of this trend is the autism spectrum, where conditions on this spectrum may now all be referred to as autism spectrum disorders"

13504553, Here you go halfass comprehending
Posted by 3CardMolly, Tue May-21-24 06:09 AM
What I mentioned relates directly to the autism spectrum. No one but your ignorant ass mentioned the color spectrum.
13504662, His point is that we don 't all exist on the Spectrum (like a color spectrum).
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed May-22-24 06:20 PM
There is a Spectrum for the condition, but not everyone in the world is on that spectrum. It's not an all-encompassing spectrum (again, like a color spectrum).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13504700, There’s no beginning nor ending for that spectrum either
Posted by 3CardMolly, Thu May-23-24 07:19 PM
And the color spectrum still has nothing to do with what I’ve mentioned. For him to type that and make a claim as if I mentioned it, is ignorant af.

I have a few family members with autism, one has it profoundly, at age 33 he functions on the level of a 5-8 yr old with speech of a 4yr old.
Another has social emotional and sensory disabilities that have lead to alcoholism.
Another mask pretty well and handles his business.

There are probably others but as with most families, if a child is hitting a grand majority of their milestones, few will question a possibility of autism or any testing.

The thing Im seeing on socmed are people (particularly a # of white women) claiming autism via self diagnosis and making mention to how they are being discriminated against due to their newfound disability. To me it favors incels throwing on a wig and dress to compete in women’s sports.

13504704, they don't have a concept that words have meanings
Posted by Rjcc, Fri May-24-24 02:24 AM
you won't be able to explain this to them

13504535, Well you did say "taboo"
Posted by The Bobblehead Man, Mon May-20-24 05:14 PM
13504554, Tis true
Posted by 3CardMolly, Tue May-21-24 06:15 AM
People dont really want to discuss these things for fear of being word mobbed, incorrect, non-pc etc.

13504593, death of conversation
Posted by fif, Tue May-21-24 02:04 PM
when everyone gotta have the same opinion. people lonely as hell in america and people are still shouting down interactions. narrowing the lanes isnt good for anyone. people gotta feel comfortable being wrong. problem is...internet is forever. in-person convos in the past...when ppl were wrong...that shit was quickly forgotten if they proved themselves over time in other ways. now people pounce and don't let up. most of them dont got a whole helluva lot to say for themselves
13504601, one weird effect of elon era twitter
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue May-21-24 03:56 PM
Is it's way less lockstep

It's still a cespool that brings out the worst in people including Elon, but now its's more wild west than 1984
13504606, it is better just like 2005 okp was better
Posted by fif, Tue May-21-24 05:28 PM
people have different opinions. lions and tigers, oh my!

okp bought 1984 as utopia. an understandable overreaction to Trump. it's good to see the seesaw swing back some. still a ways to go. but those still on their "one true way" trip will find those shouting others down next to them thin out more and more. gotta let the voices speak and the truth rise, not go around thinking we got it all figured out already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCQqCOu1qWs
13504610, idk how much okp was all that open then
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue May-21-24 06:29 PM
there were just more people before

I mainly hung out in ptp and sometimes sports, bc GD as entertaining as it could be was way too cliquish. But the dogpiling and nastiness was still there and often worse(again, way more people) You had your against the grain type posters, some were trolling and some just with differing opinions, but basically Expertise was often the lone conservative, and even though I liked watching people tear him down, it often felt like 10% of someone ripping his arguments and 90% of people calling him stupid and not really addressing anything he said. CaseOne (second time I brought him up today) was an admitted troll at times but had his beliefs. He was kinda masterful in baiting people into feeling like they could be shitty as they wanted to him

Twitter felt like a much larger worse version, X is an uglier place imo but more free. I suppose i prefer it in its alloverthrplaceness

I agree in a general sense on this place. People should feel free to speak their mind... but just saying that makes people want to pounce like "lol who says u can't speak your mind". I don't know anyone’s reason for leaving but I've def seen my share of, 'nobody wants you here' type shit thru the years
13504611, yea it's less about the content of people's beliefs for me
Posted by fif, Tue May-21-24 06:47 PM
as it is about dynamic free interchange of them. i hear you on the nastiness of okp of old but i think the volume made up for it. there was a diversity of opinion, far more teams--far more sides stated, sides to take. now people think the world is really simple--agree with me and it's all good. dylan line: "i'm liberal but to a degree, I want everyone to be like me". problem is there are...problems with the mainstream democratic opinions. any side needs to remains open to self-criticism and evolution. things have become bogged down. reality is, the rigidity that's taken root, hurts the left at the polls. gotta work on our footwork, stick and move. much more stick in the mud these day. petrified forest really when u look at Joe and Nancy, those valiant warriors for all that's good and grand

13504536, 59, male, okinawa
Posted by squeeg, Mon May-20-24 05:19 PM
13504683, You live in Japan?
Posted by flipnile, Thu May-23-24 11:49 AM
13504714, People diagnose themselves with a lot.
Posted by Kira, Fri May-24-24 11:51 AM
I doubt we're all on the spectrum..

G'head and get your diagnosis off.
13504749, With thru a few links via google…
Posted by 3CardMolly, Mon May-27-24 01:37 AM
And according to a couple I’m possibly on the spectrum.

Most questions seemed based on personality such as if you prefer working alone or in groups or do you like meeting new people, and this age…I prefer others stay out my kitchen and the less the merrier.

13504748, Probably has a lot to do with self-diagnosis questonnaires online
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun May-26-24 08:08 PM
Then there are people who hear about one or two traits of autism and call themselves autistic due to having a characteristic or two, because they want to be special. I scored off the charts for neurodivergence on the online questionnaires, but that doesn't really mean much, given the questions they ask.

>with autism all over social media.
13504750, RE: Probably has a lot to do with self-diagnosis questonnaires online
Posted by 3CardMolly, Mon May-27-24 01:40 AM
>I scored off the charts for neurodivergence on the online
>questionnaires, but that doesn't really mean much, given the
>questions they ask.
>
>>I’ve noticed a lot of people self-diagnosing themselves
>>with autism all over social media.

Just saying the same thing.
13504758, you ever talk to an actual doctor about that?
Posted by Rjcc, Mon May-27-24 08:55 AM

13505136, Treme was a better show than the wire.
Posted by AFRICAN, Tue Jun-04-24 03:50 PM