Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectOJ Simpson is dead
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13501960
13501960, OJ Simpson is dead
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Thu Apr-11-24 09:50 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/oj-simpson-dead-at-76-family-announces-144012008.html
13501961, Put me in coach!!!
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-11-24 09:52 AM
13501964, Welp, I guess I have to stay off social media for the next few weeks.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Apr-11-24 10:28 AM
Jokes will be fun for a couple of days but the commentary will be exhausting.

I just realized Fox News wasn't in existence during the OJ trail. I wonder what they would have done with it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13501965, Died of dysentery.
Posted by squeeg, Thu Apr-11-24 10:31 AM
>I just realized Fox News wasn't in existence during the OJ
>trail. I wonder what they would have done with it.
13501968, Cancer?
Posted by handle, Thu Apr-11-24 10:47 AM
>>I just realized Fox News wasn't in existence during the OJ
>>trail. I wonder what they would have done with it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39920478/oj-simpson-dies-cancer-age-76-family-says
13501966, weeks?
Posted by PROMO, Thu Apr-11-24 10:38 AM
man, it's 2024. that ish will be old news in 48 hours or less.
13501970, Right? I give it 24 hours
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-11-24 10:54 AM
They kicked the hell out of that horse for years.

13501971, right. there'll be a few articles here and there that try to...
Posted by PROMO, Thu Apr-11-24 11:08 AM
make sense of OJ's life as a whole (how to balance that he killed a couple people with his fame and success, etc).

after that? everyone will move on. quickly. before those articles are even written.
13501975, SoWhat was always right about the trial.
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Apr-11-24 11:24 AM
So was "Jon" (the Boston/Pats fan).

The man was rightfully acquitted, and it cost OJ everything to get that outcome.

The civil trial was a scam.

The conviction of the "crime" of stealing back his own property was a complete and utter joke.

The real tragedy is that the LA District Attorney and LAPD never did a real investigation of the crimes.

The writing of Stephen Singular and Donald Freed (especially) exposed how bad it really was.

All we get to hear from is "Zoom Dick" Jeffrey Toobin and Black folks scared of Mr. Charlie, instead of what really happened.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2016/07/01/oj-and-jeffrey-toobin-black-bogeyman-auctioneer/

https://youtu.be/VJGyM1PfEMk?si=8sBwO0U654AiiEoc

https://youtu.be/79e8tgVhu_s?si=03jpvtkR26IWgqc3
13501978, Dead at zoom dick lol
Posted by Cenario, Thu Apr-11-24 11:53 AM
13501985, "'zoom dick' toobin" is objectively a fire nickname
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-11-24 12:38 PM
13501979, I still defend OJ when white folk speak on him
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-11-24 12:08 PM
JURY OF HIS PEERS!!!

but that gotdamn book title.. smh. Dude was wild.
13501986, he also did not write that book.
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Apr-11-24 01:23 PM
it was written by Pablo Fenjves, one of the prosecution witnesses. He was the one who testified to the "plainitive wail" of a dog near the crime scenes. the publisher offered a sum that OJ accepted.

Pablo's account (he lies about the "fiction" part):
https://youtu.be/PY4vLCmzFVw?si=jO4z1hShlQsDlHkp

OJ's interview about the book (from 2007):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGGICxaU-So
13502013, same. OJ was dirty but so was half the mfers involved with his investigation
Posted by Cenario, Fri Apr-12-24 10:46 AM
I still defend OJ when white folk speak on him
13502028, His son did it
Posted by rdhull, Fri Apr-12-24 03:47 PM
>I still defend OJ when white folk speak on him
13502034, Yeah I didn't think an old, beat up Ex football player
Posted by Adwhizz, Fri Apr-12-24 05:46 PM
would be able to pull off killing two younger folks that were fighting for their lives and barely taking any damage.

He still had a history of Domestic violence so I'm not exactly losing sleep over his passing.
13502036, He was 46 at the time. That's younger than a lot of us on here now.
Posted by JayEmm, Fri Apr-12-24 06:19 PM
And, to the best of my knowledge, none of us are built like former NFL running backs.
13502039, Most of us didn't spend 11 seasons getting banged up and tackled
Posted by Adwhizz, Fri Apr-12-24 06:26 PM
either.

That had to take some sort of toll on the body
13502089, lmao.. nah bruh, that doesn’t make sense
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-15-24 09:36 AM
its not like this was 2 world class athletes or boxing heavyweights that were killed

not saying he did it but I’ve seen some former Steelers up close who were around his age that lived in my area and those dudes weren’t crippled at 45.

but I also heard that they had columbian neckties, not sure if its true or a rumor. Would definitely be drug related if true.

13501992, that's crazy Doc
Posted by Beamer6178, Thu Apr-11-24 03:00 PM
just because it seemed too neat, I never thought he did it, though I believed he always knew who did. And I didn't rule out the possibility of it being him.

Gonna read up on this, looks interesting.
13502000, cmon.
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Apr-12-24 01:39 AM
13501982, RIP Nordberg
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Apr-11-24 12:24 PM
13501984, I sorta worked on the If I Did It Special in 2006.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Apr-11-24 12:35 PM
I worked at the production company who was making the show for Fox. It was pretty hush-hush at the time, but I was an in-office PA, which meant I was privy to a lot of stuff - including the logistics shoot that came together last minute to interview OJ in Florida (I didn't go, though).

Part of my job was to cover for the receptionist when she went to lunch every day. Pretty simple and straightforward, most times. Then, one day, I was sitting at the desk and got a call from a Fox executive who wanted to speak with the owner of the company. There was a procedure for this, but I don't remember what it was - only that the guy who ran the place was kind of weird and eccentric so you had to do stuff in a very specific way. For whatever reason, I couldn't get him to take the call.

The Fox guy sounded irritated as hell, and then just yelled at me, "Tell him to check fucking Drudge Report!" and hung up.

So, I checked it.

It was a big headline that said, "Fox Network Pulls OJ Simpson If I Did It Special; Will Not Air" or something like that.

And that was the time I had to be the bearer of pretty bad news to a very intimidating producer.

At the time, but ESPECIALLY in hindsight, it seemed like SUCH a stupid fucking idea to make that. I cannot believe it got as far along as it did.

Anyway. That's my sorta OJ story.

13501994, Rest in peace.
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Thu Apr-11-24 03:38 PM
13502003, r.i.p.
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Fri Apr-12-24 07:33 AM
nice meeting you
13502019, we have an idea of what twitter would've looked like in 95
Posted by Amritsar, Fri Apr-12-24 11:36 AM
-Bomani
13502037, ...Okay
Posted by Adwhizz, Fri Apr-12-24 06:24 PM
But since we're on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lXuIh_2hmE&ab_channel=Health%26Wealth
13502066, r.i.p.
Posted by kinetic94761180, Sun Apr-14-24 03:33 PM
13502091, I Remember Where I Was When the Verdict Came Down
Posted by Thee Phantom, Mon Apr-15-24 10:04 AM
I was sitting in the waiting room of my Dentists office in Frankford section of Philly. There were about 8 or 9 people in there and only two of us were black.

When they read the "Not Guilty" I just stared at the TV and immediately the two receptionists burst into tears. This one white woman in her 30's or so, fell to her knees crying and screaming.

This older white man kept looking at me to see if I had any visceral reaction. I looked around the room and knew I needed to be out. I canceled my appointment and I don't think I ever went back to that Dentists office.

I watched as much of that trial as I could. The point of no return for me was when Furman plead the 5th and the other Detective was found to have been riding around with OJ's blood instead of checking it in right away. There was so much Reasonable Doubt raised by Cochran and the Defense that even if they wanted to, the jury couldn't have found OJ guilty.
13502093, That's wild
Posted by Lurkmode, Mon Apr-15-24 10:16 AM

>immediately the two receptionists burst into tears. This one
>white woman in her 30's or so, fell to her knees crying and
>screaming.
>

Damn
13502094, me too. i was on the lawn of the Student Union at U of Washington.
Posted by PROMO, Mon Apr-15-24 10:28 AM
there was a crowd of maybe 200 or so people outside, because someone had set up a speaker and it was playing radio coverage of the verdict.

when it dropped, i just remember all the black students in various states of celebration, and a fair amount of shocked and/or angry looking white faces.

13502095, I was at VCU and it was my birthday.. best gift ever
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-15-24 10:37 AM
I think I even skipped class to see the verdict.

VCU is like 60% Black and Brown folk so campus was partying hard af.

13502098, My brother & I were in college...
Posted by Marbles, Mon Apr-15-24 11:44 AM
He was at the library when the verdict came down. He said that Black folks were dapping each other up and white folks were near tears.
13502099, we watched live in one of our classes at my catholic middle school
Posted by shygurl, Mon Apr-15-24 12:00 PM
All the kids (mainly white, a few blacks, one Indian) cheered, and our middle aged white male teacher was pissed.
13502145, Imagine if you were in the dentist's chair instead.
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Apr-16-24 09:33 AM
The receptionists bursting into tears sounds pretty wild; I'm assuming they didn't know anyone in the case personally.

I'm somewhat glad I was in high school at the time and was a bit too young to get too emotionally invested in the case. The Chris Rock punchline about the reaction to the verdict rings so true to me.
13502155, Chris Rock summed it up perfectly
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Apr-16-24 09:55 AM
it was never about OJ, it was beating the system with money, power and privilege.

White folks getting a taste of their own medicine was glorious. Shit was like a national
holiday for us.

Even now my coworker is mad.. “you know he did it”

me: found innocent by a jury of his peers!!!! FOH.

13502267, Highschool weight lifting class.
Posted by spades, Tue Apr-16-24 08:00 PM
13502699, There were 15 black students at my college
Posted by 3CardMolly, Fri Apr-26-24 08:05 AM
8 of us lived on campus. To my surprise my white roommate jumped up in celebration of the verdict quicker than I did. A number of students cheered and ran around the campus. I know that was the overall feeling by lost but it was pretty nice to see.

Kinda reminds me of seeing Jewish college students, parents and people in general protest on behalf of the Palestinian people. Right is right and wrong is wrong.
13502097, I found this article to be fascinating. The world stopped. (NYT swipe)
Posted by Marbles, Mon Apr-15-24 11:40 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/10/04/us/not-guilty-the-moment-a-day-10-minutes-of-it-the-country-stood-still.html

The country stopped.

Between 1 and 1:10 P.M. yesterday, people didn't work. They didn't go to math class. They didn't make phone calls. They didn't use the bathroom. They didn't walk the dog.

They listened to the O. J. Simpson verdicts.

Airplane flights had to wait. At Hartsfield International Airport in Atlanta, passengers and airport workers alike were so fixedly watching the television sets at the departure gates that several Delta Air Lines flights due to leave between 1:24 and 1:32 boarded late. When a Delta agent with poor timing tried to start her boarding instructions for a Louisville flight just as the verdicts were being read, a hundred passengers shouted her down.

Finance ceased. At the Barnett Bank branch on Biscayne Boulevard in Miami, tellers stopped counting bills and the lines of impatient customers evaporated as everyone turned, tantalized, to the television on the wall. Seeing the envelope containing the verdicts, a sales manager implored: "Open it. Open it."

It was an eerie moment of national communion, in which the routines and rituals of the country were subsumed by an unquenchable curiosity. Millions of people in millions of places seemed to spend 10 spellbinding minutes doing exactly the same thing.

The curiosity infected everyone, no matter what larger matters might be under consideration. President Clinton left the Oval Office at two minutes before 1 to catch the verdicts in his secretary's office with several of his aides.

The Supreme Court was hearing arguments at the big moment. Immediately after the verdicts were announced, two messengers appeared. One went to the side where Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg sat, and the other to the side where Justice Stephen G. Breyer sat, and they handed them notes with the news. None of the Justices showed any reaction.

It was considered essential to find an electronic connection for the end of this most electronic of trials. Consolidated Edison determined that between noon and 1 P.M., 745,000 more television sets than usual were turned on in New York City, a calculation derived from a 93-million-watt increase in electrical consumption.

Still, people took the news however they could get it. Bicycle messengers in Washington received the pertinent facts from their dispatchers over walkie-talkies. They, in turn, shouted it out to the pedestrians they pedaled past on the streets.

Exercise was cut short. At the Equinox Fitness Club in Manhattan, half of Gregg Washington's aerobics class stopped panting and bolted from the room at 1 P.M., joining 100 others in front of a row of television sets. Flab had lost importance.

AT&T experienced a few of the strangest minutes in its history. Around 12:50, long-distance calls began to taper off, registering 19 percent below the levels of a week earlier. At 1 P.M., calls were down 49 percent. Between 1:05 and 1:10, they lagged 58 percent below normal. Not until 1:20 was long-distance conversation normal again.

"The nation paused as people turned to their televisions and radios for the news," said Herb Linnen, an AT&T spokesman.

It seemed as if no one could stand not knowing. At 1 o'clock, the nine 10- and 11-year-olds in Suzanne Leake's class for the learning disabled at the Mary McDowell Center for Learning in downtown Brooklyn pushed their plastic orange chairs around a beat-up television set and watched, mesmerized.

Once he heard the verdict, Alex Gavin, 10, said of Mr. Simpson that despite the acquittal, "No one's going to see his movies."

The aircraft carrier Independence, sailing in the Persian Gulf, temporarily lost its satellite feed just before 1 P.M., Eastern time. With the 5,000-member crew clamoring for word, officers called the Navy public affairs office in Washington. Someone there held up his telephone to a television, and technicians on the Independence piped the audio through the carrier's sound system.

Secretary of State Warren Christopher arranged to have his weekly lunch with John M. Deutch, the Director of Central Intelligence, moved from the Madison Room at the State Department to Mr. Christopher's small back office. Why? Because of the television set there.

Senator Sam Nunn, Democrat of Georgia, did something almost unheard of for a politician. He postponed into next week a news conference at which he was to announce whether he would seek election to a fifth term. He knew his verdict was less pressing news than O. J.'s.

The most ceaselessly hectic environments were transformed. At the emergency room at Kings County Hospital in Brooklyn, the atmosphere became tense at 12:55. A security guard marched to the far corner of the room and turned up the volume of a television set perched on a shelf. As the judge began to speak, people started hushing one another: "Shhh! Shhh!"

Trading proceeded, but slowly, at the New York Stock Exchange after 1 P.M. and did not resume at full pitch until 1:10, when reports of weak metals prices were joined by a single headline: "Simpson Acquitted on All Counts." At the trading pits of the Chicago Board of Trade, where the sound of shrieking commodities traders is customarily deafening, there was absolute silence during the tense moments in which the verdicts were read.

Work, all work, could wait. At an apartment house on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, the doorman locked the front door at 1 P.M., leaving tenants to fumble with their own keys, and headed for the TV set.

On the 47th floor of a Houston skyscraper, the law firm of Dinkins, Kelly, Lenox, Gerstner & Lamb and a neighboring software company, Futuresource, advised their answering services that no one would be available for 10 minutes as all the employees, plus one client, assembled around a television.

Never were people more grateful for radio. A class of sixth graders from St. Bridget's School in Richmond, Va., who had taken a train to Washington to see the Smithsonian's Museum of American History, found themselves wending their way through the past at 1:05. Fortunately, two pupils had packed Walkmans. They announced the news to their classmates and 30 adults who converged on them.

At the Kendall Park, N.J., mall, customers sat in their cars in the parking lots listening to their radios. Shoppers lingered in stores that boasted radios or televisions. The sales could wait. They had to know.

Some businesses saw ways to seize the moment. At the Cafe Acapella in Hackensack, N.J., a sign out front read: "4 TV's. Today 1:05, OJ verdict. Have lunch with us." Eighty people did, double normal business.

It was certainly an important moment at the Lindell AC restaurant in Detroit, where John Butsitaris, the owner, answers the phone, "O. J. headquarters." More than 100 customers stared at the four big-screen television sets. At 1 o'clock, rowdiness gave way to silence. Mark Downs, a lawyer, kept one eye on the bottle he was feeding his 5-month-old daughter, Samantha, and one eye on the TV.

Restaurants not equipped with televisions found themselves at a distinct disadvantage. Business was off 30 percent at the TV-less Michael's, a midtown Manhattan restaurant. Several diners with 1 P.M. reservations asked that their tables be held while they scampered to the nearby Manhattan Ocean Club, which had a television set.

Interest overseas fluctuated, running relatively high in England. In Brighton, a seaside town on the southern coast where the Labor Party is holding its annual conference, 25 people jammed into Steamers, a restaurant-bar on Kings Road that was the only place with a TV set. At the Queens Head pub in central London, Phil Lambert, the manager, could not remember another occasion when all his customers watched a live news event on the one small television set.

The French have viewed the whole spectacle with muted interest. In the TGI Friday's American bar and restaurant in the center of Paris, 10 people watched CNN on a television set as the verdicts came. More people were huddled around a second set that was showing a tennis match.

But in Times Square, traffic halted as thousands of people packed the small island between Broadway and Seventh Avenue to watch the drama on the large but silent Sony television looming above a billboard of Claudia Schiffer. John Zelenka, a technician from the suburbs, had had the foresight to bring a radio so that the curious could hear. He said he had observed history before from this same corner and thus had come prepared.

Not everyone, of course, had thought things through. Who knows what went through the mind of Mayor Terence M. Zaleski of Yonkers when he scheduled a news conference for yesterday at precisely 1 P.M.? No one came. When a tardy photographer showed up with a Walkman, the Mayor and two trustees from the Yonkers Board of Education elbowed in to hear the big answer.

Oh, yes. For those who missed it, the Mayor is calling for mandatory uniforms in the city's public schools.

13502424, the serial killer who confessed to killing Nicole Simpson
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-19-24 12:29 PM
CNN even had a documentary on it.

I don’t remember this story at all.

still implicates OJ as an accomplice who had the guy rob her to get some diamond earrings. His brother said he confessed and called him prior to brag about partying with Nicole Simpson.

https://www.cnn.com/2012/11/20/justice/o-j-simpson-film-claim?cid=ios_app
13502425, Damn
Posted by Lurkmode, Fri Apr-19-24 01:01 PM

All that trial coverage and this was missing.
13502432, He was apprehended after the Simpson trial concluded.
Posted by JayEmm, Fri Apr-19-24 01:43 PM
>All that trial coverage and this was missing.

- The supposed "confession" occurred in 2009, long after the trial and only after Rogers had exhausted all of his appeals against his death sentence. The obvious thinking is that this belated confession was nothing but an elaborate ploy to delay his execution. There's no validity to his story at all - the details that Rogers included in his confession, such as the expensive earrings that OJ gave to Nicole, were all public knowledge soon after the murders happened. It's easy to offer details about a famous case that the media reported on extensively.

The documentary in question also leans heavily on a defense claim that two different sets of shoeprints were found at the crime scene, one belonging to OJ and another mystery set. However, there's no indication of a second set existing nor is there any forensic evidence that connects Rogers to the crime (Rogers is a convicted felon, so his fingerprints and DNA are already on file). The expert hired by the defense that made the claim has since been discredited (https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2007-jun-03-me-lee3-story.html).

The other part of this theory that causes it to completely fall apart is the idea that OJ was supposedly taking the fall for a murder charge to avoid revealing some kind of burglary scheme. Common sense alone makes that seem a bit improbable, no?
13502727, Definitely seems scammy…
Posted by 3CardMolly, Fri Apr-26-24 03:38 PM
From the brother as well as a way netflix to bite. But now that all of OJ’s children are adults, I doubt they’ll bother for fear of suit.

>>All that trial coverage and this was missing.
>
>- The supposed "confession" occurred in 2009, long after the
>trial and only after Rogers had exhausted all of his appeals
>against his death sentence. The obvious thinking is that this
>belated confession was nothing but an elaborate ploy to delay
>his execution. There's no validity to his story at all - the
>details that Rogers included in his confession, such as the
>expensive earrings that OJ gave to Nicole, were all public
>knowledge soon after the murders happened. It's easy to offer
>details about a famous case that the media reported on
>extensively.
>
>The documentary in question also leans heavily on a defense
>claim that two different sets of shoeprints were found at the
>crime scene, one belonging to OJ and another mystery set.
>However, there's no indication of a second set existing nor is
>there any forensic evidence that connects Rogers to the crime
>(Rogers is a convicted felon, so his fingerprints and DNA are
>already on file). The expert hired by the defense that made
>the claim has since been discredited
>(https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2007-jun-03-me-lee3-story.html).
>
>
>The other part of this theory that causes it to completely
>fall apart is the idea that OJ was supposedly taking the fall
>for a murder charge to avoid revealing some kind of burglary
>scheme. Common sense alone makes that seem a bit improbable,
>no?
13502448, OJ Made in America is on Netflix now
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Apr-19-24 07:57 PM
Gonna rewatch. Haven't seen it since it first came out