Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHow many of us use a CPap. / mouth taping?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13498502
13498502, How many of us use a CPap. / mouth taping?
Posted by lazyboi, Sat Feb-03-24 08:44 PM
CPaps save relationships and marriages

I have one, just goes over my nose, I was thinking of getting one that covered the nose and mouth. not sure I can do the whole face thing tho. (that reggie white/carrie fisher ish is SCARY).

I was thinking bout mouth tape too, but I haven't tried it yet. Some people seem to swear by it tho

"If you wanna help us, fine. Sit down with your kids and make 'em study at night...otherwise, shoot THIS mothaf*cka!" (c) Morgan Freeman,
13498766, I've used one, my sleep quality was MUCH better.
Posted by spades, Wed Feb-07-24 07:40 PM
However, I've found, losing a little weight and avoiding booze in the evenings seems to have made the greatest difference.
13500897, Yeah i need a new round of weight loss
Posted by lazyboi, Sun Mar-17-24 11:48 AM

"If you wanna help us, fine. Sit down with your kids and make 'em study at night...otherwise, shoot THIS mothaf*cka!" (c) Morgan Freeman,
13500898, it's crazy how some people die without theirs
Posted by lazyboi, Sun Mar-17-24 11:49 AM
hard to conceive that

13500900, Serious queston - not trying to be a dick - but are you fat?
Posted by handle, Sun Mar-17-24 12:37 PM
I know that not everyone with sleep apnea is fat, but I do know that if you lose weight it often gets much better.

IF you are fat maybe try to get on Wegovy/Ozempic or Zepfbound and see if it helps. Just a suggestion.

And of course wear whichever CPAP your doctor recommends -- nasal or oral.
13500909, To be clear, I had sleep apnea before a weight loss surgery
Posted by handle, Sun Mar-17-24 08:33 PM
If the word fat offended you, I sincerely apologize, but having sleep apnea was one of the ways 24 years ago that you could get insurance to cover your weight loss surgery so people I met back then all head sleep apnea. I had minor sleep apnea after doing the home test, but my doctor was happy because he knew insurance would cover it.

I was just thinking that maybe weight loss medication, which is much easier than a surgery to handle, might be covered
13500941, RE: Serious queston - not trying to be a dick - but are you fat?
Posted by jetblack, Mon Mar-18-24 07:41 PM
LOL

I'm a lttle overweight. The more weight I lose the better sleep I have.

Diet and exercise matter so much. Too much quick access to terrible foods.
13500905, At-home sleep tests are HSA eligible now, I believe.
Posted by JFrost1117, Sun Mar-17-24 05:43 PM
I had a class mate that died during a sleep test at a facility.
13500912, they are. I used Lofta.
Posted by jetblack, Mon Mar-18-24 06:07 AM
$800 for the home test. And I had a lab test $6000 - covered by my insurance.

Get tested.

Live.
13500913, damn, hope his fam got dome type of settlement. .
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Mar-18-24 06:46 AM
Was it a sleep induced test?

13500915, *some
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Mar-18-24 08:59 AM
13500943, Now, I'm visualizing his mom getting dome.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Mar-18-24 10:19 PM
BUT, I do remember chipping in on a GoFundMe for legal fees for them to fight.

He was always a really really big dude, though, so I'm sure they were like "He was dead when he got here!".
13500925, wow damn.
Posted by Cenario, Mon Mar-18-24 01:05 PM
13500910, Sleep Apnea and insomnia
Posted by jetblack, Mon Mar-18-24 06:00 AM
Resolved last spring. The sleep apnea but the insomnia is still in search of a solution.
13500929, how is your sleep hygiene and before-bed practices?
Posted by bearfield, Mon Mar-18-24 04:04 PM
>but the insomnia is still in search of a solution.

been an insomniac since i was a kid. what's working for me currently is no screens for 30-60 minutes before bed (and if there are screens, going in night light mode), limiting caffeine intake and stopping caffiene about 13 hours before bedtime, and lots of physical activity. this is in addition to good sleep hygiene practices like no screens or tv while i'm in bed, making the bedroom and bed exclusively for sleeping so your mind associates bed/bedroom with sleeping and little else, and getting out of bed for a reset if i'm not asleep after 20 minutes

i'm also taking OTC herbal sleep aids like valerian root and melatonin to help me wind down ~30 minutes before bed

this book helped me a lot with my insomnia: https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Your-Mind-Get-Sleep/dp/1572246278
13500931, low lights
Posted by jetblack, Mon Mar-18-24 04:21 PM
quiet.
sleep meds AND BP meds.
lavander essential oils in the air.
hot bath with bath salts, bath bombs and bubble bath.
bath by LED candlelight. From Dollar tree... I have like 40 of em.
lower lights.
white noise.
4-6 hours sleep.
13500939, good practices!
Posted by bearfield, Mon Mar-18-24 07:17 PM
the thing that helped me most and i didn't know about until i read that book is the "don't stay in bed *trying* to fall asleep" bit. if it's been 20 minutes and your mind is still disquieted, get out of bed and do something not involving screens (if possible) and not particularly interesting or engaging. i'll fold laundry or read something dry like marie kondo or a history book. it's kind of amazing how yawny i get and how quiet my mind gets after getting out of bed, after struggling to sleep for 15-20 minutes. usually the second i get out of my bedroom i get tired again 🙃

13500940, Thanks
Posted by jetblack, Mon Mar-18-24 07:39 PM
Keeping away from screens is a good idea. Exercise helps. I also rack up 7-10k steps a day just working. 10-15k if I can get a hike in - morning or afternoon. I live in a neighborhood with a large high desert open space. I feel like I'm close to the magic formula.