Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBlack Hip Hop artists who made/make music that attracted mostly
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13484970
13484970, Black Hip Hop artists who made/make music that attracted mostly
Posted by allStah, Tue May-23-23 09:16 AM
white people.

Young MC - Bust a move. We hated that song with a passion because that’s all
you heard being bumped by urban white guys and girls

Tone Loc! Cool dude….but funky cool Medina and Wild Thing…white dudes wearing Z Cavariccis driving around in drop-top z28 Camaros blasted that song!

Now in my mature years, we sit back and laugh at them and play those songs for fun.

I could definitely name more…but have at it.

13484971, what is "white hip hop music?"
Posted by PROMO, Tue May-23-23 09:29 AM
wouldn't that, at minimum, be hip hop made by white people?

cuz, based on your examples, you seem to be defining it as songs by black artists that catch on with white people.

if that's how you're defining it, you can throw just about any rap song made by black artists since white people still consume the majority of rap music, concert ticket sales, etc.

13484972, It’s more about black artists who made hip hop music
Posted by allStah, Tue May-23-23 09:40 AM
that attracted mostly white people…and most black people had no
interest whatsoever in the song or thought it was wack.

I will rephrase the title.
13484977, hmmm...
Posted by PROMO, Tue May-23-23 10:00 AM
i remember mad black kids bumping Bust A Move and Funky Cold Medina and Wild Thing at my school and in our neighborhood.

i think those songs hit the audience they were intented to hit by the artist, which wasn't white people.

i think white people latched on to them because they were light hearted and didn't have much gravity as far as content goes, though they had plenty of cultural gravity.

i think ONCE white people discovered them and latched on, THEN those songs became "uncool" or "corny."

but to say black people had NO interest? not from what i saw.
13484980, Yeah ..white-black kids
Posted by allStah, Tue May-23-23 10:05 AM
Those black kids that grew up in white neighborhoods or went
to white high schools.

They weren’t bumping that in the hood or black or underground hip hop clubs.
BACK THEN, that shit was corny from jump.

It was considered SAFE hip hop= hip hop that mostly white people played

And I mean MOSTLY, there was maybe a small percentage of black people that
listened to it.
13485019, Man.. it was MTV that made Tone Loc a star
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-24-23 06:19 AM
wasn’t nobody in the hood or the burbs bumping that shit.

I grew up in the burbs and we played XCLAN, PE, RAKIM, KRS, Brand Nubian, Tribe, De La, NWA.

13485053, agreed
Posted by allStah, Wed May-24-23 12:24 PM
13484974, Flo-rida own this right?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue May-23-23 09:44 AM
Only hear him at white parties or on resorts.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13484975, LOL
Posted by allStah, Tue May-23-23 09:51 AM
“at resorts”
13484976, I just came here to make sure he was accounted for nm
Posted by snacks, Tue May-23-23 09:54 AM
13484979, now he's one i could say...
Posted by PROMO, Tue May-23-23 10:04 AM
seemed to be making music for the white gaze.

the pop gaze at minimum. in fact, some of his songs are damn near "electronic dance music."

now, he's rapping on them, but i shudder at calling his stuff "rap music" and it's definitely not hip hop IMO.
13484994, Pitbull too
Posted by kwez, Tue May-23-23 03:12 PM
And he's a special case considering his early history.

13484978, All, every?
Posted by MEAT, Tue May-23-23 10:03 AM
Vultures gonna vulture
Aint got nothing to do with the artist
13485002, The Roots
Posted by flipnile, Tue May-23-23 06:25 PM
!(j/k)
13485050, *boxes your ear*
Posted by spades, Wed May-24-23 11:58 AM
13485009, I work across from a venue...Tech N9ne/Strange Music is S tier
Posted by Nodima, Tue May-23-23 10:39 PM
When he was popping off in high school I only knew my fellow white people that loved his stuff, and his crew seems to book at least 7 shows a year at this venue...always some baggy short wearing backwards cap white dudes at those shows.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
13485010, Another up and comer is City Morgue
Posted by Nodima, Tue May-23-23 10:41 PM
granted the younger Black and Latino generations are way more willing to see their hip-hop pushed into moshpit/hardcore territory, but I actually worked this show and out of 1,100 tickets sold there might've been 50 people that looked like the dudes on stage.

Granted, this isn't exactly Chicago or New York in terms of diversity but I was watching some clips of their live shows in the week leading up to it as a sampler and their crowds - like a lot of rap shows, obviously - seem consistently quite white.

~~~~~~~~~
13485160, RE: Tech N9ne Packs Em In By The Boatload
Posted by Thee Phantom, Thu May-25-23 04:56 PM
at his shows. He does damn near 100 shows annually and sells over 1,000 tickets per.

Always wondered what his ticket buyers looked like.
13485016, Hopsin
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed May-24-23 12:46 AM
Tech N9ne and Flo-Rida are good calls as well.
13485017, Afroman seems like he would fit this category
Posted by Adwhizz, Wed May-24-23 05:16 AM
Was Sir-Mix-A Lot getting play in the hood before "Baby Got Back"?

That's odd since that song is now kinda of a white girl anthem even though it's making fun of them
13485018, My Posse’s On Broadway was his first hit
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-24-23 06:13 AM
and Baby Got Back is the most disrespectful song ever to white women..

which makes it even more hilarious.

“eww, look its her butt, its soo big”

13485027, being in Seattle when Mix started blowing up...
Posted by PROMO, Wed May-24-23 09:52 AM
Posse On Broadway DEFINITELY got play in the hood here locally, as it should. not only was it his most "serious" song to date, it was literally shouting out places/streets/corners in the Central District (aka the hood).

i'm super curious how that song registered around the country? cuz in my mind it was always more a local thing, but looking at the history of it as far as charts and whatnot, i see it may have been more national than i remember.

did OKPs hear Posse On Broadway where they lived in '88?
13485028, Yeah, "Posse on Broadaway" definitely got play where we were (Ohio)
Posted by Marbles, Wed May-24-23 10:04 AM

I remember hearing a few of his songs (My Hooptie, Beepers, One Times Got No Case) pretty regularly.

I feel like Mixalot was another rapper in the mix. Nobody hated him but he wasn't anyone's favorite rapper.

But after "Baby Got Back," the shift was noticeable. That's like the all time favorite rap song for white chicks my age. They lose their minds to that song.
13485034, okay, i'm way more shocked...
Posted by PROMO, Wed May-24-23 10:44 AM
that My Hooptie and Beepers were getting spins in Ohio.

even though we'll always love Mix, and he still puts on for the city, the view of him after Baby Got Back blew up definitely changed.

for one thing, the overall sound of rap changed between 1989, when he had last put an album out, and 1992 when Baby Got Back came out. so while his sound was always kind of silly/fun, that kind of stuff sounded even less "cool" by 1992.

and man, white people latched on to that intro, even if they didn't realize it was kind of a shot at them.

because it blew up and went pop, it seemed like Mix had sold out and in 1992 selling out or being pop was a big negative as far as rap was concerned.

but hey, Mix owns all his own publishing and that song alone, according to him, still makes him over a million dollars a year. i wouldn't doubt it either as it's always getting licensed for SOMETHING.
13485030, We loved that song/video but had no idea he was in Seattle
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-24-23 10:10 AM
13485032, my homie is in the video...
Posted by PROMO, Wed May-24-23 10:30 AM
and now that i'm typing that i'm wondering how much older he is than i am, lol.

cuz i was 11 in 1988. so he must be almost 10 years older than me. in my mind we've been the same age the whole time, haha.

not sure why that just hit me right now.

he played a hater in the video, lol. he's the guy in the shades and grey hat w/ the huge dookie ropes when Mix says "we're getting dirty looks from those other sucker crews."

anyways, my world view was so small back then. even though i was listening to rap from all over the country, it didn't really register to me that Posse On Broadway could have moved beyond the Seattle city limits, lol.

13485035, in 88, i just assumed it was NYC...lol. Rap only came from 3 places in
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed May-24-23 10:54 AM
to 12 year old me.
NYC, Cali or Texas.
13485037, the J. R. Ewing of Seattle is literally a line in the song, man...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed May-24-23 11:14 AM
..c'mon LOL.

POSSE UP!

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
13485055, to be fair though?
Posted by PROMO, Wed May-24-23 12:52 PM
Broadway is NYC in the minds of most, even though many big cities have a Broadway.
13485088, Broadway is universal like Central or Main St...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed May-24-23 03:22 PM
I can't think of a major city that doesn't have them.

But you can't get around the fact that any reputable emcee will undoubtedly reference their hometown at some point. The J.R. Ewing of Seattle can't be ignored in "Possee on Broadway."

Just another reminder most people recognize the music, but they don't really know the lyrics.

Lol.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
13485119, you doing too much..
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu May-25-23 08:50 AM

13485036, RE: being in Seattle when Mix started blowing up...
Posted by Original Juice, Wed May-24-23 11:00 AM
It got major play on the rap and r&b stations in the Bay Area at the time (KMEL, KSOL). Perfect car culture/cruising song so you know it was popular around California.

The mixshow DJs also played Rippin, Square Dance Rap, My Hoopty.. even Kid Sensation's "Back II Boom" was a hit for the minitruck crowd back then.

13485118, Posse on Broadway was getting good radio play in Atl.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu May-25-23 08:13 AM
13485177, Hell Yeah, I lived in Brooklyn at the time and later moved to South Philly
Posted by jimi, Fri May-26-23 07:27 AM
Loved that song when it came out and I was 12! At the time, that was one of my favorite videos... I just wanted to be in it.. lol
13485054, I remember goretex and posse on k97 out of the M
Posted by speedlaws07, Wed May-24-23 12:43 PM
13485063, Yup
Posted by MaxPtah, Wed May-24-23 01:23 PM
Stan Bell played the hell out of those
13485047, I think folks are being a little disingenuous
Posted by Original Juice, Wed May-24-23 11:40 AM
..by focusing primarily on those super crossover and safe pop rap acts that most hip hop heads find corny.

Let's be honest. A LOT of the rap music that is popular on these boards is being primarily consumed by white and non-Black audiences. Just because many Black folks love and listen to Wu-Tang Clan, Pharcyde, Hieroglyphics, etc. doesn't mean these artists and groups don't attract mostly a white audience in many areas.

If you attend a Danny Brown, Killer Mike, or Lupe Fiasco, etc show in the Bay Area, there might be a somewhat diverse audience, but there's a good chance that there will be more white fans in the audience than Black fans. Now, this depends on exactly what city you're in. In Oakland there very well may be a majority Black audience for a Lupe show; however, at venues in Napa, there will be mainly White folks. In San Francisco, San Jose, Mountain View, Concord, there will be a diverse crowd for the most part.

I've been to Hiero shows in SF, Oakland, and Petaluma. Oakland was diverse. SF was always diverse. Petaluma was a lot of young white and white-adjacent skater kids and cannabis culture types (and this was just a few years ago). Of course, Petaluma is mostly white folks with some Hispanic and Asian. None of these shows were mostly Black folks. The same thing with Wu-Tang shows.. it may be different in NYC, but in California, Wu-Tang shows are diverse with probably more white than Black.. but lots of Asians and lots of Latinos.

Went to an El-P (C4C), Killer Mike (RAP Music), eXquire, and Despot show in SF in 2012 (when RTJ was just the 1st free release) and it was almost ALL white people in there.. at least 90% which is crazy for SF.. even considering that half the acts were white.

I noticed at the Art of Rap tour that Black folks were not really checking for the Pharcyde or King Tee. Then again, they weren't there for them. A lot of folks, of all ethnicities, were there just to see the headliners: Bone Thugs and Harmony.
13485068, Good reply and I agree with all of this
Posted by calij81, Wed May-24-23 01:32 PM
I remember going to a Dead Prez show in Oakland back in 2003 and while the crowd was majority black, I was shocked at how many white people were actually at the show.
13485179, This is absolutely accurate, but also a fact of demographics
Posted by Nodima, Fri May-26-23 08:00 AM
Y'know?

I can only speak as a Midwestern white dude who's spent all his years in the middle, but it seems to me pretty clear the difference between Black music that is immediately targeting a white audience vs. Black music that finds white money.

Just last week, Devin the Dude played at the venue I referenced in my Tech N9ne post and while the people waiting in line were largely Black or Hispanic, more and more white people showed up as the openers sat down (I saw him at the same spot eight-ish years ago, Coughee Brothaz - aka Odd Squad - opened...I've got no idea who Yung Rico Chills, Faith Freeman nor Strange & Dread are) but that tracks for a $30 show in a white part of town.

To me this thread is about a group like City Morgue, two Black dudes from New York, who are advertised almost more like a nu metal group than drill, trap or whatever. Like I said above, I worked that show, about 1,100 tickets were sold and it was more like an emo or metal crowd than a big hip-hop show. Even compared to, like, a Curren$y show in his heyday, let alone like when Slum Village did their Dilla tribute tour or Gibbs came through after the Madlib collab, the clusters of Black folks didn't exist. It was front to back white people ages 18-to-50, aggro Hispanics looking to drain Patron bottles and throw down and the random goth-type Black kid kicking it solo looking for a scene to fit in to.

Even if a Ghostface crowd is majority white, the Black people don't look "out of place" the way they do at these sort of shows, y'know?

~~~~~~~~~
13485187, That is more of an income and economy thing than
Posted by allStah, Fri May-26-23 10:18 AM
it is a following or support situation.

White people have the finances to go to shows and concerts. A lot of diehard black
fans don’t. I’m talking about what gets played in the whip and hood. Your opinion
relates and refers to a whole different topic.

It goes back to black folks dubbing and copying tapes back in the day because they
couldn’t afford to purchase the 9.99 cassette, or buying the 2.00 bootleg cassette.

Black folks are cheap as fock when it comes to going to concerts and showcases
because they don’t necessarily have money to splurge on expensive tickets even if they
have money. I know, because I have done it. I have money, but there were times
where I’m like “damn, how much are those tickets?” And I’m not even close to being
cheap, because I will drop money on something physical in a heartbeat ( car, electronic
equip, etc).

Back in the day I used to go to Lollapalooza when it first hit Chicago. Tickets were
reasonable. They were like 30.00 for a single day! Now they are about 150.00!
And I never go to a concert alone, I always go with whomever I’m dating at the
time, so that’s 300.00 that I would have to pay. More than likely, I would go ahead and
pay if it’s someone I really want to see….But again black people don’t turnout like white
people because of the cost, not because they are not diehard fans.

White people will go anywhere just to drink, party and get focked up because they
have money like that, and considering where the venues and arenas are located, there
will be a predominantly white turnout based off of that.

However, if that same show is presented at a venue in a black neighborhood than the
the turnout will be mostly black
13485109, Would Coolio count?
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Wed May-24-23 09:20 PM
13485136, Coolio got play in the hood
Posted by allStah, Thu May-25-23 11:44 AM
especially “gangsta paradise”.

And fantastic voyage ..

Mostly because of the samples ..they were straight loops of classic soul cuts…
so it was some catchy stuff.
13485111, Wu Tang
Posted by javi222, Wed May-24-23 11:20 PM
13485172, Kool Keith
Posted by tariqhu, Thu May-25-23 08:45 PM
Run the Jewels
13485181, F O H
Posted by allStah, Fri May-26-23 09:21 AM
13485173, Cypress Hill
Posted by tariqhu, Thu May-25-23 08:48 PM
13485182, Seriously GTFOH
Posted by allStah, Fri May-26-23 09:21 AM