Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAnyone up to impart advice on professional burn out?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13474547
13474547, Anyone up to impart advice on professional burn out?
Posted by MEAT, Fri Dec-09-22 02:30 PM
I got a job offer this week and I realized I couldn't do it
I've been on the inside of well over 100 warehouses and distros in my career and I just feel repulsed by those concrete walls and ceilings
But at the same time, I feel as if I don't have that as a luxury
That I need to be the kind of person that does what it takes to make money for my family
I'm honestly considering stepping away from the profession, but that feels selfish.
13474551, it definitely sounds like it's time to move to a new industry
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Dec-09-22 02:55 PM
or at least a different space in your current industry. I'd suggest finding another area of interest that will also allow you to get the money you need.

linkedin is good for connecting with folks from all types of work. I randomly make connections there. it was really helpful when looking to get information about other career types, jobs within industries, how to get in, what knowlege to gain, etc.

what makes it feel selfish? I don't see it as that all. we all have to grow in some capacity, especially after spending a lot of time doing the same type of work. you owe it to yourself and your fam to try finding other goals.

13474553, It's a tough balance.
Posted by Marbles, Fri Dec-09-22 03:22 PM

I get this and it's a huge responsibility. You got a lot on your shoulders.

>I'm honestly considering stepping away from the profession,
>but that feels selfish.

At the same time, you're no good to anybody at all (including your family) if you burn out and end up angry, bitter and not yourself.

13474658, ^
Posted by Brew, Mon Dec-12-22 10:31 AM
13474571, got out of the same industry
Posted by Stadiq, Fri Dec-09-22 05:32 PM

about 2 years ago.

Much, much happier and the money has already bounced back.
13474660, Time to switch something up.
Posted by spades, Mon Dec-12-22 11:09 AM
Either switch what role you play in the same industry, or switch industries.

Burnout is real and debilitating. Take it seriously.
13474673, try to avoid generalities and be specific
Posted by Damali, Mon Dec-12-22 12:11 PM
I have some advice but it would help if you could dig a little deeper...

>I got a job offer this week and I realized I couldn't do it
>I've been on the inside of well over 100 warehouses and
>distros in my career and I just feel repulsed by those
>concrete walls and ceilings
>But at the same time, I feel as if I don't have that as a
>luxury

What is this luxury you speak of? be more specific

>That I need to be the kind of person that does what it takes
>to make money for my family

This is such a general and cliche statement...i'm not talking about how you feel...i'm talking about the words you're using to express it.

why do you need to be a certain kind of person? is that for you or for the outside world?

what if "does what it takes to make money for my family" means leaving a n industry that causes you mental and emotional harm? what part of that means you have to be miserable? can you do both? can you make the money you want to make AND like your job? I can tell you the answer is ABSOLUTELY. But you need to make some shifts in your perspective first...

>I'm honestly considering stepping away from the profession,
>but that feels selfish.

...and the shift starts here.

1. there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with being selfish. You, as an individual, have the right to be happy and fulfilled in whatever you do...in fact, one could argue that its your ONE JOB as a human being...to be happy. The fact that you somehow how see that as selfish is not ok...where did you learn that? who does that type of thinking serve? Clearly not you

2. at the same time, stepping away from your profession, if its causing you distress of any kind, is NOT SELFISH. it's actually the complete opposite. Finding a field or a job that feels aligned to who you are will actually enable you to make MORE money...the way you would absolutely SHINE in any role where you're happy!!! And a happier you means that you have more of you to give to your family...it's better for them if you are fulfilled at work.

Man, so much more awaits you...you can achieve all your goals and NOT be miserable. You just gotta step out of this single story you are telling yourself about your life and your options.

d

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13474676, Thanks
Posted by MEAT, Mon Dec-12-22 12:50 PM

>What is this luxury you speak of? be more specific

I just feel that a job is to make money, there are warehouses and distribution centers all over this planet. So I have a job skillset that I can be employed wherever. It feels like a luxury to downplay what that means.

>This is such a general and cliche statement...i'm not talking
>about how you feel...i'm talking about the words you're using
>to express it.
>
>why do you need to be a certain kind of person? is that for
>you or for the outside world?

For the house. I need to be a person that's always employable anywhere. I have two small kids and radical billionaires are forever fighting against people having stability and buying power. Right now today, I have the ability to be flexible and unconstrained by that. When I lived in Houston the entire city was tied to the success of oil and gas. By being tied to logistics, transportation, and distribution I'm decoupled from the failings of any particular city or industry.

>what if "does what it takes to make money for my family" means
>leaving a n industry that causes you mental and emotional
>harm? what part of that means you have to be miserable? can
>you do both? can you make the money you want to make AND like
>your job? I can tell you the answer is ABSOLUTELY. But you
>need to make some shifts in your perspective first...
>
>
>>I'm honestly considering stepping away from the profession,
>>but that feels selfish.

In this field you don't get sunlight or quality food and you're also subject to a continuously moving 24/7 network of connectivity. But millions of people are in that same network. What makes me so special that I can't be?
13474692, RE: Thanks
Posted by Damali, Mon Dec-12-22 02:38 PM
>I just feel that a job is to make money, there are warehouses
>and distribution centers all over this planet. So I have a job
>skillset that I can be employed wherever. It feels like a
>luxury to downplay what that means.

ok. since you know the industry so well, is there a management role you could do that has you in an office instead of the dreary warehouse?

>For the house. I need to be a person that's always employable
>anywhere.

and there are so many ways to do that that don't require you being miserable. you seem to be stuck on that there's only one path for you here.

I have two small kids and radical billionaires are
>forever fighting against people having stability and buying
>power.

so why play into their hands by being an obedient worker who grinds themselves into dust for the capitalists?

Right now today, I have the ability to be flexible and
>unconstrained by that.

that's great!!!!! move forward with that energy.

When I lived in Houston the entire city
>was tied to the success of oil and gas. By being tied to
>logistics, transportation, and distribution I'm decoupled from
>the failings of any particular city or industry.

again, superb!!! if this is true, then your options are infinite. you don't have accept just anything that comes your way.

>In this field you don't get sunlight or quality food

ok that sounds like some overexaggerated bs, but i don't know your field at all so i guess i'll take your word for it

and
>you're also subject to a continuously moving 24/7 network of
>connectivity. But millions of people are in that same network.
>What makes me so special that I can't be?

again, you're asking the wrong question (its a very capitalist/supremacist one, actually). Everyone is special...its not just you. Everyone is at choice. You don't have to choose to stay just because millions of others have. Oftentimes we spend our lives believing we don't have choices when we do. IT's just that some of our available choices would mean that we have to adjust other things in our life to make it work, and alot of times, people don't want to do that.

So you have some choices to make. But if you choose to be miserable thinking that is best for your family, you will eventually find out that its not.

d

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13474677, therapy and rotating hobbies
Posted by tomjohn29, Mon Dec-12-22 01:08 PM
read Atomic Habits by James Clear a couple of years ago and one thing i steady doing is picking up a hobby getting good at it and then quiting
last year was beatmaking
year before jujitsu
year before cooking

how gratifying to repeat that cycle is
13474679, from my experiences with it
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-12-22 01:17 PM
I feel like burnout is both a symptom of dealing with unusual and untenable stress at work, plus just not being fulfilled in total, across all areas

so you gotta look at everything to find out why it's not adding up. put your own facemask on first, make sure your cup stays filled, etc.

and the answer may be you need to leave your current job / career / industry, or maybe just need to cut one or two things out that were fulfilling that aren't anymore

it has at times been difficult for me to deal with, because my job is literally my hobby, and my favorite thing to do, and a career I'm like...I'm lucky just to have this job, or to have A job while people are getting fired left and right at all kinds of places, so how can I be tired?

the answer is I can be. just gotta accept it and recognize it

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13474689, Agreed.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Dec-12-22 02:24 PM
It's not always as simple as "this industry isn't it".

Sometimes it IS that simple, of course.

But recognizing that you don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water is definitely something that can improve your circumstances.
13474690, Take the break. Change or Be Changed
Posted by Mori, Mon Dec-12-22 02:32 PM
Definitely take a break. Even if it is only for a short period. I have seen so many people crash and burn trying to push through. Either their health, relationships, finances or mental health gets broken when they push too hard for something they are not passionate about.

It can happen at any age. Luckily, there is a labor shortage and you can get a job anywhere, even if you take a break.

Heal up! The work will be right there if you need to come back.
13474792, Did you discuss it with your family yet?
Posted by Backbone, Tue Dec-13-22 01:18 PM
Maybe they're ok with having a little less (for a while?) if it means you get to work somewhere you feel happier.

I'd say it is definitely worth trying something else if you feel this way, unless you really see no better way to make ends meet.

It wasn't exactly burnout that made me switch careers at 40, but so far I'm glad I did. It's not perfect but it's much better than feeling stuck in place.
13474892, I have. My wife accepts but she doesn’t “get it”
Posted by MEAT, Wed Dec-14-22 03:35 PM
She’s extremely risk adverse and she just doesn’t do change unless forced to.

And what I’ve tried to communicate to her is that I can follow my brain in when I should be doing or my body can tell me what it’s going to do.

Bad commutes, no fresh food, and just zero natural light are DAMAGING
13474919, What kept you going till now?
Posted by Backbone, Thu Dec-15-22 07:09 AM
With those working conditions, I think depression would kick my ass by Thursday of the first week :( I'm a delicate flower of a man though.
13474922, Stupidity? I’m a Black man from Texas that played football and other sports
Posted by MEAT, Thu Dec-15-22 08:38 AM
For all of my developmental years
There’s no limit to the things I can compartmentalize.
Im trying not to though. I got everything I need. The house, cars, wife, kids … all I care to have now is stability and health.
13474926, can’t you bring fresh food?
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-15-22 10:01 AM
I know its a simple question but seems like an easy solution.
13474948, So I tried for this job. Refrigeration and microwaves becomes an issue
Posted by MEAT, Thu Dec-15-22 11:10 AM
Tried to solve it by having cooling packs was good for cool meals but not great for frozen
Then I ran into reheating issues since lack of microwaves (9 for a workspace of over 2000 people)
So yes. You CAN have fresh foods in the right conditions.
But having the right kinds of fresh foods to meet needs is a problem
Additionally we don’t have enough shitters
So what kinds of foods can you put on your stomach when you dont have good shitter access for a majority of the day

TLDR. You need enough fridges, enough freezers, and some mind of means to reheat it. Otherwise you’re trying to do all of that on your own.
13474959, Too late to edit. You can work around all of the challenges of storage
Posted by MEAT, Thu Dec-15-22 11:51 AM
By just shopping every day. But with these places being far from grocery stores you dont have that option.

13474884, I used COVID as an opportunity to quit.
Posted by GNT1986, Wed Dec-14-22 02:46 PM
Took some time off to rest, recuperate, rejuvenate.

My old employer sought me out to hire me for a different role w/ a 20% raise.

So, I took it.

Got a new director and it feels *incredibly* different being under new a management and some time away.

Was stuck in meetings w/ an old colleague who is still in my old unit.

He sounds miserable. I told him as much and told him to think about getting a new job or taking some extended leave.

It's made a world of difference for me. (The increased pay has too.)
13474918, assuming it's a good offer:
Posted by Triptych, Thu Dec-15-22 12:59 AM
take the job and negotiate time off between jobs.

See if you feel the same way after a little distance.

13474921, Hobbies
Posted by flipnile, Thu Dec-15-22 07:51 AM
Having something(s) that you truly enjoy to be passionate about outside of work. Things that YOU really enjoy.
13474933, Thankful to let my wife quit due to burnout and stress
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-15-22 10:30 AM
she was in the school system and her health was suffering..

but she also worked with a shit load of passive aggressive insecure bitchy women who acting out anytime she took a day off.