Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI went on a recruiting trip a few months back at an HBCU
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13473347&mesg_id=13473699
13473699, I went on a recruiting trip a few months back at an HBCU
Posted by MEAT, Tue Nov-22-22 01:24 PM
We were specifically going there to recruit Black students and all of us were Black employees
And the amount of "have a good resume, have a decent email address, look presentable" shit that came from my counterparts offended me.
There's something about being Black and successful that you can find yourself with blinders on the systems that you had to overcome and the luck you had to have
So many times I meet Black successful people and they communicate an air of "anyone can do what I did if they just act right" and that's such a terrible message.

It's my own hang up 100%, admittedly, but I get that energy from these types of folks. And that's not fair to them. None of us owe anything to anyone except ourselves. But fuck if I don't feel lonely as hell talking to Black people without Black spouses. And when people are in a position of influence and they have a myopic view of what it took to get there, I worry about how isolating that energy can be to others.