Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAre republicans making inroads with black folks?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13472739
13472739, Are republicans making inroads with black folks?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Nov-07-22 02:40 PM
If so, how are they doing it?

I was listening to a story this morning talking about how the only black people on the congressional ballots in Michigan are republicans. That was interesting in itself.

But I thought the interviews were more interesting. There were quite a few black folks who were very open to vote for Republican candidates. And that seems like something the GOP has deliberately worked hard at to achieve.

I looked up exit poll data over the past few presidential elections (I couldn't find midterm data). Since this data covers Obama and Trump, it's probably hard to make any really conclusions. But based on the vibes and this data, it seems like the GOP is skimming some black people up.

Black men:2000(12%) 2004(13%) 2008(5%) 2012(11%) 2016(13%) 2020(19%)
Black women:2000(6%) 2004(10%) 2008(3%) 2012(3%) 2016(4%) 2020(9%)
https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/The-Exit-Polls.pdf?x91208

And they are doing work getting more black people to run for office under the GOP banner. This year there are a record number of black candidates on GOP tickets.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/a-record-number-of-black-candidates-are-running-on-gop-tickets-this-midterm-season-heres-why-that-matters

It feels like republicans are abandoning their win with only whites strategy and are doing something to appeal to enough black people to tip the scales a bit.
13472741, No they are not. More Ruckus are trying to get paid
Posted by Lurkmode, Mon Nov-07-22 02:54 PM

"It feels like republicans are abandoning their win with only whites strategy and are doing something to appeal to enough black people to tip the scales a bit."

lmao yeah right

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Enterprise_Institute
13472744, I know what AEI is. The polls are not AEI's
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Nov-07-22 03:00 PM
Source: Roper Center US National Election Day Exit Polls, 1972–2016; National Election Pool, 2020; and AP VoteCast conducted by
NORC at the University of Chicago for the Associated Press and Fox News, 2020.
13472755, It's the way you frame it
Posted by Lurkmode, Mon Nov-07-22 04:01 PM
"Are republicans making inroads with black folks"

How is it inroads if the number of Black folk vote voting for Republicans was even higher in the past ?

Black Men: 1972(23%0) 1976(18%) 1980(14%)
Black Women: 1972(14%) 1976(13%) 1980(9%)

How ard are Republicans working if they are pushing candidates like Walker ? Seems like they are getting the Ruckus clowns that would vote Republican anyway.

What did they abandon if they are still running Willie Horton ads, despite the fact that it's more Black faces running in one area?

This is from the PBS link that you provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm_b3Qxx8Cs&feature=share&si=ELPmzJkDCLju2KnD5oyZMQ&t=350

How is that "abandoning their win with only whites strategy and are doing something to appeal to enough black people"
13472790, Different eras. I say modern GOP started around Gingrich
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Nov-08-22 09:50 AM
The 1972 republican party can't be compared to the class of 2022.

I admit the data isn't clear. I was just using it to see if it corresponds to the my general observations.

It just appears to me that republicans are making more efforts to attract some black voters. As minimal or as lame as those efforts may be (i.e. Trump's platinum plan, targeted ads).

It's not like it's a crazy strategy. It's probably a lot easier and cheaper to move the black vote from 4% to 5% than to move the white vote from 62%-63%. And in close elections, those small gains are all they need
13472807, Different eras same GOP
Posted by Lurkmode, Tue Nov-08-22 11:54 AM
What you can't compare Nixon and the Southern strategy to Bush and Willie Horton, Reagan and the Welfare Queen, Trump and Charlottesville ? Why not ?

Did you listen to or observe the Nicole Ellis interview with Ted Johnson from the PBS link in your post ?

First you say Republicans "deliberately worked hard" to get a few Black votes, then it's "probably a lot easier and cheaper to move the black vote from 4% to 5% than to move the white vote from 62%-63%" using "minimal or lame efforts" Which one is it, hard or easy to skim Black votes in this modern version GOP that's can't be compared to the old version ?
13472746, No.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Nov-07-22 03:01 PM
Obama was a blip that caused more than usually allegiance to the Democratic Party but it looks like there was a return to the median of around 12% of black men and 6-9% percent of black women.

I always got annoyed with the Dem Plantation talk because the fact that republicans are terrible to black people turns into our fault for us never voting for them.

And republicans have put themselves in this weird position where they can't gain more black voters without losing some of their base voters. That's what happens when you make racism a cornerstone of their party.

Trump made a half ass reach out to Black Men voters (that fool really had a plan called the Platinum Plan") and it didn't work and it's hard to see more republicans pursue that block.

The voters who it seems like will make and break the future of both parties are Latin voters. Check out this episode of the Daily.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/03/podcasts/the-daily/latino-voters-midterm-elections-polling.html

The funny thing is, when you listen to their reasons for voting republican, its all based on misinformation and low information about the party.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13472793, I disagree with this part
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Nov-08-22 10:00 AM
They wouldn't need to change their platforms or upset their base to gain black voters.

They can gain some black voters simply by not ignoring them and investing in outreach and building relationships. It wouldn't get them a lot, but they don't need a whole lot to flip races

>
>And republicans have put themselves in this weird position
>where they can't gain more black voters without losing some of
>their base voters. That's what happens when you make racism
>a cornerstone of their party.
>
13472752, dumb black people
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Nov-07-22 03:22 PM
13472753, the democrat party is a conservative party
Posted by Brotha Sun, Mon Nov-07-22 03:40 PM
they claim they can't fight for certain policies cause they dont want to alienate republicans and swing voters

inviting republicans to speak at DNC rallies

at this point why not skip the middle man.

13472757, skip the middle man?
Posted by makaveli, Mon Nov-07-22 04:08 PM
13472763, middle men = the conservative democrat party
Posted by Brotha Sun, Mon Nov-07-22 05:10 PM
13472768, post #4 n/m
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Nov-07-22 05:48 PM
13472786, not sure why you take pride in being a self hating negro
Posted by Brotha Sun, Tue Nov-08-22 08:42 AM
13472787, damn.. lol
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Nov-08-22 08:44 AM
13472801, I'm not sure why you take pride in being a dumb negro and a low...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Nov-08-22 10:36 AM
information voter.
13472802, Lazy dumb argument.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Tue Nov-08-22 10:43 AM
Liberal and Conservative policies are vastly different. As we see with abortion, student loan forgiveness, climate change etc. The "they're the same" argument is just lazy and stupid.
13472813, in theory, but in practice the outcomes are the same
Posted by Brotha Sun, Tue Nov-08-22 12:48 PM
So when obama and the dems say they stand with you on your abortion rights, remember when obama told yall its not a priority

https://www.reuters.com/article/obama-abortion-idUKN2946642020090430

but its definitely "on the ballot" when its campaign donation time

when they tell you climate change matters, remember they still bailout oil companies and funnel billions (if not trillions) of tax dollars to the united states military, the number one polluter on the planet.

Their stances seem to always change when its actually time to legislate. Not enough votes. the midterms are coming! not a good time.

its never a good time isnt it?
13472754, no
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Nov-07-22 03:58 PM
the Michigan situation poses a very interesting (and oft avoided) discussion though

it has a lot to do with (the failure of) Black politics which runs parallel to the neoliberal turn the Democratic Party has taken increasingly since the 1970s and deindustrialization
13472792, very fine people on both sides
Posted by luminous, Tue Nov-08-22 09:55 AM
13472804, No political party is entitled to the black vote..
Posted by Kira, Tue Nov-08-22 11:16 AM
I'm a registered independent...

"vote dem no matter who"
"You're not black if you don't vote for Biden"

Democrats don't shame the Jewish, latino, Asian, LGBT, and white communities into voting for them. They court votes from those communities.

Let's revisit a somewhat short list of recent history:

Kamala Harris refusing any tangible solely policy for the black community:

https://youtu.be/IKuBwpybvnA

Biden told a group of black power brokers he wouldn't honor his campaign promises and the black community needs to follow the lead of the latino community.

Democrats marketing abortion as a black issue while the black infant mortality rate soars.

Democrats pushing the gender divide to split up the black vote while blaming black men for not voting for them.

The buffalo shooting massacre happened without Grendon immediately charged for a hate crime. 24 hours later the first LGBT Haitian press secretary hosted k-pop band BTS to speak on Asian hate, ignoring the massacre.

The Biden Administration floating the idea of giving latinos $50,000+ per person in reparations over the black community.

It is not the job of the black community to elect Democratic politicians that refuse tangible policy solely for the community. Every mainstream community besides the black community received tangible aid solely for itself under Biden. None of those communities besides the black community saved Biden from losing to Trump. Court the black vote the same way every community's vote is fought for.

When the Democrats lose don't blame us, blame them for constant disrespect, sabotage, and benign neglect of the black community. Ask those other communities they gave tangibles to bail them out.

13472832, its always been the lesser of 2 evils, IDK why people acting brand new...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Nov-08-22 02:58 PM
the president appoints judges for LIFE long after the people that appointed them are dead and gone, the ones appointed by republicans are not going to be on your side.
13472835, you were also a proud mormon at one point..
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Nov-08-22 03:28 PM
just sayin’
13472837, Well, Republicans did fight the south and free slaves and push
Posted by allStah, Tue Nov-08-22 03:57 PM
democracy.

That’s a strong card to push to fool black folks of this era…..

History, billions in the bank, evangelism and a unified party makes
a strong force to deal with.

I look at the Democratic Party, that I support, and Focking cringe most of the times
because I have tovote for some of those clowns.

Republicans aren’t clowns. They just always have bad intentions. Democrats don’t
have bad intentions, but they are clowns…..which is why we have a clown party at
the moment.
13472944, NOPE
Posted by Reeq, Wed Nov-09-22 01:12 PM
13472956, Not this one.
Posted by spades, Wed Nov-09-22 01:55 PM
As conservative as I am.
As capitalist as I am.

I cannot abide the plain anti-black racism.

so no, fuck their bitch and the clique they claim.