Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTalkin' shop on a Monday
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13472680
13472680, Talkin' shop on a Monday
Posted by spades, Mon Nov-07-22 09:25 AM
I'm burned out.
13472683, RE: Talkin' shop on a Monday
Posted by MEAT, Mon Nov-07-22 09:27 AM
>I'm burned out.

Same
13472694, they want us to do our self evaluations again
Posted by mista k5, Mon Nov-07-22 10:32 AM
they did that for the first time earlier this year. they already said merit increases are scheduled for april so not sure why theyre pushing up evaluations.

last year the boss said we all evaluated ourselves too high lol its been a slow year so not sure what im even going to put on there. he said not to score ourselves this time.
13472707, RE: they want us to do our self evaluations again
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Nov-07-22 11:16 AM
>they did that for the first time earlier this year. they
>already said merit increases are scheduled for april so not
>sure why theyre pushing up evaluations.
>
>last year the boss said we all evaluated ourselves too high
>lol its been a slow year so not sure what im even going to put
>on there. he said not to score ourselves this time.

My gig is all about not giving people the highest scores available for each category so I feel you! They basically make it impossible to get the '10 of 10' score on anything, so you end up with a bunch of middle and upper middle scores even if you killed it during a year.

Evaluating others can be tough. Usually I find that too many people aren't even really trying to 'do them right'. Either it is a witch hunt of people with titles trying to screw people over during their review after NOT SAYING A DAMN THING ABOUT whatever the 'issue' magically is once review time rolls around. Or its a 'you had one issue one time so I'm gonna hang you over it even if it was 10 months ago'. OR on the other end, people are just trying to get it over with so you get told 'you aight..keep rolling' via a bunch of high enough to keep everyone out of trouble type scores.

The truth is usually somewhere in between but so many things have to go right in order to get to that truth during an evaluation session. This is ESPECIALLY true when people's money is tied to the eval/review. No one wants to admit to ANY failures in those situations!

Evaluating yourself, like you're mentioning, too often turns into a game that you play with the person who is reviewing you. If you're dealing with a jackass who hates to admit that you're doing a good or even great job, you damn near have to pretend that you aren't killing it in spots just to save yourself the grief of having to argue about how good you might be. If you're dealing with a softball reviewer, you're just going through the motions and you might get like no information on things that you may be able to improve upon. Messy!

13472713, i find my boss hangs on to things from years ago
Posted by mista k5, Mon Nov-07-22 11:26 AM
he brings them up on each evaluation even though i havent had the same issue since that year. or he brings up something that someone else mentioned to him but without any details.

he's like well you need to work on ___. i ask him what he means, can you give me an example. he will just say well so and so mentioned it once, i dont remember what it was but you need to do better. um thanks? why not bring it up when it was brought to your attention??

i think i struck a nerve because one year i was coming in late. i fixed it and actually was working while on vacation. i put that in the evaluation and he was like "whoa we didn't ask you to do that, you don't need to do that". when uh he definitely called and asked me to do it and i didnt give him any grief about it. so this year he really goes out of his way to say i dont need to worry about work if im off that day.

im pretty sure the evaluation wont make a difference on getting a raise. they have a set percent they're going to give and there's nothing you can do to improve that unless you actually take a new position. i'm sure you can give them a reason to give you less though lol i am glad that they do give yearly increases though, last company was so bad about that. we would go a few years without an evaluation or an increase.
13472701, have to use 5 days of PTO before the end of the year
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Nov-07-22 10:52 AM
where to go and what to do???

think we may just hit the mountains again for a few days..

but then I’m like “Jamaica? Bahamas? Vegas?”

why not have some fun?

not trying to go broke before the holidays tho
13472710, RE: Talkin' shop on a Monday
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Nov-07-22 11:20 AM
>I'm burned out.

Same.

I want to close this year out!

- Pick a few final things to finish up and then ACTUALLY FINISH THEM.
- Do reviews for my group.
- Set up next year personally and professionally.
- Take off some days to relax, hit the gym at weird times (when it would be just me, the always working out folks, and maybe a couple skrippas or at least a trophy wife I can fall in love with for a few minutes at a time), handle some basic personal stuff and play video games.
13472717, Our CEO is having a very very public and expensive meltdown
Posted by MEAT, Mon Nov-07-22 11:33 AM
And like … what the fuck
How is this a thing
This is insane
13472726, You work for Twitter?
Posted by spades, Mon Nov-07-22 12:52 PM
lolololol
13472727, I work for a manufacturing company located in Austin
Posted by MEAT, Mon Nov-07-22 01:04 PM