Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectwhy isn’t Amazon in trouble for selling that documentary Kyrie promoted
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13472665
13472665, why isn’t Amazon in trouble for selling that documentary Kyrie promoted
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Nov-07-22 06:57 AM
seems weird Kyrie is called all types of names but Jeff Beezo can profit from it and no one says a word about it.

I get the NBA’s angle but national news aint even asked or answered that question.

Happy monday yall
13472667, Publisher versus tout
Posted by shockvalue, Mon Nov-07-22 07:10 AM
Doesn’t freedom of the press demand that mere publication of racist or otherwise offensive material be allowed to continue? We don’t want the government banning books. You can learn good lessons from a bad book and I would therefore not support a boycott of Amazon over its sale of Mein Kampf for example.

But a famous person saying “”Mein Kampf” is an important book and
if you ask if I mean the antisemitism I’m going to be coy and not give you an answer” is different. I might support a boycott of that individual.

(Not trying to totally accurately invoke the Irving situation since I don’t know the details).
13472672, He posted a link to the doc on twitter, and a screenshot of...
Posted by flipnile, Mon Nov-07-22 08:35 AM
...it's cover on IG. No caption or description. No context (originally) given by him other than linking to the doc on his accounts.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/kyrie-irving-antisemitic.html
13472674, Freedom of Speech/Press has nothing to do with Amazon Prime
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Nov-07-22 08:58 AM
The Amazon bookstore doesn't have to sell mein Kampf. They can choose not to profit from that book.

Amazon Prime already moderates and doesn't publish every video that people want published there just like the new York Times doesn't have to print any and everything that is sent to them.

There is a journalist in jail in Texas for a story she published. That is the only story I've seen in the US a long time that actually implicates Freedom of Speech?Press.

https://reason.com/2022/11/04/this-court-case-could-make-it-a-crime-to-be-a-journalist-in-texas/

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13472681, You’re right. But thank god they do carry Mein Kampf. N/m
Posted by shockvalue, Mon Nov-07-22 09:26 AM

13472695, Thank god?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Nov-07-22 10:34 AM
That book could disappear from saale and humanity would be okay.

I wouldn't mind if there were books that analyzed and critiqued it but I don't see a great harm to the world if the book were just outrighted banned.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

13472697, How would the critiquers obtain the book?
Posted by shockvalue, Mon Nov-07-22 10:37 AM
13472704, lol.. good point
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Nov-07-22 11:08 AM
and my point isn’t that these books shouldn’t be available..

its just wild seeing how everyone jumps on Kyrie and no one has asked why Amazon is profiting off this stuff.
13472723, except there's a reply here with tons of national media
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Nov-07-22 12:32 PM
who have for years asked that exact question, you just never read any of it because you don't actually give a shit, and you heard someone else make this point

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13472716, The book is public domain. You can get it literally in 2 seconds online.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Nov-07-22 11:28 AM
Amazon banning the book would not have any impact on people's ability to get the book. Amazon banning it does stop anyone from profiting from the book.

So amazon banning the book has no impact on people's ability to critique the book. Howver, if someone were to make an annotated copy of the book that explained all the lies, all the stereotypes and treats the book as a historical text to be critiqued, I am all for that being sold.

13472676, I’m not suggesting the book shouldn’t exist
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Nov-07-22 09:02 AM
but why can Beezos profit from these books and no one says a word?

13472685, My problem is that offering a piece of media
Posted by shockvalue, Mon Nov-07-22 09:35 AM
In some contexts is value-neutral.

Amazon probably sells old historical math books with incorrect outdated math in there. Obviously there’s no endorsement of the math here—Amazon is a bookseller and old books have historical value…but if a candidate for a math position propounds these books, this is problematic advocacy, it could be grounds for being passed over for the job.

I’ve not seen the case made that the Hebrew Israelites videos aren’t mostly being watched by stoners for laughs…

13472687, if no one cares, then this is a fake argument
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Nov-07-22 10:00 AM
if y'all do care, then feel free to press amazon on it.

Amazon has been criticized for this before, and it's been reported on by the mainstream media

you didn't notice because why would you, you don't actually care

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amazon-com-auschwitz-idCAKCN20H0JA

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/09/technology/amazon-bookstore-nazis.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/06/01/amazon-trans-pride-month-books-protest/

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/diversity-inclusion/542975-amazon-stops-selling-books-that-describe-being/

https://fortune.com/2018/07/07/amazon-white-supremacist-products/

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53518008
13472671, who's the ceo of amazon
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Nov-07-22 08:24 AM

13472679, National news is owned by corporations and is a vehicle to sell ads
Posted by MEAT, Mon Nov-07-22 09:23 AM
Why would “national news” question the owner of the Washington Post, controller of Thursday night NFL, and ruler of AWS?
13472688, it's mostly because no one cares or wants to read it
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Nov-07-22 10:02 AM
as I linked above, there have been reports.

no one gives a shit.

What Jeff Bezos is a shareholder of doesn't really matter

13472690, I don’t deny that that’s one component of it
Posted by MEAT, Mon Nov-07-22 10:16 AM
But the power dynamics are a whole other.
NBA CBA says that players must talk with the media after every game
So the players and coaches are contractually obligated to answer a whole host of questions that no such power dynamic exists for either owners or the comissioner
And so what you’re left with is Joey from New Affiliate Blah Blah Z coming at Rich and Famous NBAier and who needs to answer for and to their views.
Meanwhile the Joe Tsai don’t have to answer for having dude on the payroll

And that’s just the way of everything in this country.
Your neighbor gets a fine front he city for water wasting and we “all” agree that his behavior is bad that the fines are fair
Meanwhile the hotel down the street got a resort style pool and lush green golf course.
The different levels of harm are night and day but society has deemed individuals punishable for their actions to curb behaviors growing at scale

So you end up with. Kyrie Irving way more answerable to his dumb shit than that platforms that supply it, the platforms that don’t block him posting it, and the people hosting this shit on the servers, and the financial systems that complete the transaction of purchase or rent
13472691, Double post
Posted by MEAT, Mon Nov-07-22 10:16 AM
Nm
13472689, Watch how it’s done Kyrie
Posted by shockvalue, Mon Nov-07-22 10:05 AM
GODDAMN THIS BOOK LOOKS VILE:

Unlocking the Secret within Mein Kampf: Revealing the Jewish Master Race https:
https://www.amazon.com/Unlocking-Secret-within-Mein-Kampf/dp/B08P4SJ4Q9
13472692, ^^^ "There's a BET, why not a White Entertainment TV??" energy
Posted by handle, Mon Nov-07-22 10:26 AM
"Just asking questions."

All your questions are answered with a simple Google search.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/kyrie-irving-antisemitic.html
13472696, That's not at all the same energy. And the article you shared said
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Nov-07-22 10:36 AM
nothing about Amazon's role in selling the video.

13472702, he’s white and wrong
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Nov-07-22 11:07 AM
13472706, I said a simple Google would do it
Posted by handle, Mon Nov-07-22 11:09 AM
And I linked an article.

Do BOTH.

Here's a super simple Google for "Hebrews to negroes" + "Amazon" and this comes up for national news:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kyrie-irving-hebrews-to-negroes-amazon-antisemitic/

Want it off Amazon, tell them you want it gone. Don't ask why the NBA and the "national news" isn't pressuring a boycott. And don't pretend other people aren't.

13472712, dont ask a question on a message board? wtf
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Nov-07-22 11:22 AM
sometimes you just need to stfu
13472715, ^^
Posted by handle, Mon Nov-07-22 11:28 AM
You clearly came here to post some clearly grievance shit.....
-OR-
You literally can't think of anyway to find information.

I'm thinking you're NOT stupid, so I'm going with option 1.

13472719, Amazon is not nearly getting the backlash that Kyrie is getting.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Nov-07-22 12:14 PM
ADL asking them to take down the video isn't the same as calls across the board for Kyrie to be suspended and apologize.

It really isn't the same energy. Which isn't a function of anti-semitism, but rather an intersection of race and the power of rich elites.

13472724, lol
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Nov-07-22 12:33 PM

13473432, Anyone who can’t see the disparity wants to be blind
Posted by spirit, Wed Nov-16-22 11:19 PM

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
13472699, Only a white person would say something this stupid
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Nov-07-22 10:45 AM
to a Black person

13472810, ^^^^^^^ No lies detected
Posted by Kira, Tue Nov-08-22 12:13 PM
13472740, yall let these crackers get way too cozy
Posted by Brotha Sun, Mon Nov-07-22 02:52 PM
13473774, yup.
Posted by kayru99, Fri Nov-25-22 08:34 AM
13472703, Conspiracies and Anti-semitic tropes have one main purpose
Posted by sevencents, Mon Nov-07-22 11:07 AM

to create division and take the attention away from the destructive nature of Capitalism and white supremacy.

Kyrie being suspended and the only one being called out in this scenario helps turn him into a 'martyr' to people who believe what he's saying or things in the film.

If we talked about how Amazon is profiting off the film, or look at the dark money and people who amplify a lot these conspiracies, then we'd have to start having a conversation about the role capitalism and white/christian supremacy plays....and US don't want to have that conversation.

We go to wars to not have that conversation.

13472711, its not about believing what Kyrie is saying
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Nov-07-22 11:21 AM
I don’t even know what he is trying to say.. lol

but its sports and Beezo now host Thursday Night football and is rumored to be in play to buy a team.

so its a question that needs to be answered..

its a topic that needs to be discussed on sports radio since they are spending all this time on Kyrie.
13472718, exactly
Posted by sevencents, Mon Nov-07-22 11:38 AM

US loves the narrative of the 'self-made billionaire'
we don't want to talk about how they got there or call out that they are actual sociopaths who have made their wealth off blatant exploitation and are only looking to help themselves.

more people are starting to see Elon for the person he is, but anyone reading between the lines could have seen the type of person he was years ago.

We're aware of the blatant violations against Amazon workers, delivery drivers and attempts to organize....but we still line Bezos' pockets cause of cheap prices and free 2-day shipping.

I have 'progressive' friends in DC that hate Snyder and are THRILLED at the possibility of Bezos becoming the new owner of the team....the collective trauma cycle that this country has with capitalism and worshiping billionaires is self-destructive.

feels like a lot of people want us to have a billionaire like Tony Stark, but we're really just creating a bunch of Lex Luthors.

13472728, Based on the outrage, you would think Kyrie wrote the book...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Mon Nov-07-22 01:20 PM
...meanwhile, Amazon is just quietly profiting of the book ..no calls to boycott ..no calls to cancel Amazon Prime. ..it's very weird

13472730, I don't expect them to review EVERY book/album/movi
Posted by Adwhizz, Mon Nov-07-22 01:49 PM
that gets put up for sell, although with all the attention this is bringing to it, I'd be surprised if it doesn't get pulled from Amazon and other retailers
13472734, agreed. but yeah i'm surprised its taking this long.
Posted by Cenario, Mon Nov-07-22 02:03 PM
13472731, looks like the nets and the adl read your post!
Posted by Reeq, Mon Nov-07-22 01:55 PM
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1589679725727059969
13472733, Of course Amazon should be held accountable as well!
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Nov-07-22 02:03 PM
Like why would anyone think its okay for Kyrie be suspended but have no problem with Amazon profiting off the video1?!?

13472736, literally no one, that's why the ADL has protested this before
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Nov-07-22 02:10 PM

13473433, But they’re not asking Jeff Bezos to apologize
Posted by spirit, Wed Nov-16-22 11:23 PM
“ asking that the “virulently antisemitic book and related-video” either be removed from the platform’s marketplace or come attached with context that explains why these works are problematic.”

Attached with context?

Why wasn’t Kyrie giving context for why he posted the link enough?

I don’t see how anyone can fail to see the disparity in treatment.

Jeff Bezos is never gonna be surrounded by reporters asking him over and over to explain why that content was on Amazon.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
13473461, who is the CEO of amazon?
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Nov-17-22 01:45 PM

13473752, RE: No Longer Bezos
Posted by Thee Phantom, Wed Nov-23-22 04:42 PM
Hasn't been for nearly two years.
Folks don't even know who to be faux outraged at.
13472738, iono but this shit put a battery in white peoples back
Posted by Brotha Sun, Mon Nov-07-22 02:36 PM
they feel like experts in bigotry now. gonna send us to get "educated" on hate.

and the negroes egging it on are going to hell
13472742, This is a silly question.
Posted by Musa, Mon Nov-07-22 02:55 PM
Bullies don't pick on someone they think can hurt them.

Y'all scary negros let these fake chosen people bully you into all kinds of experiments see the JAB.
13472766, 'Zon Sells Everything From Dildos to Mein Kampf
Posted by Thee Phantom, Mon Nov-07-22 05:18 PM
They don't censor what they sell in the same vein that Apple Music doesn't censor Gangsta Rap or Trap Music. You can own a copy of "F*ck the Police", but you can't play it at work.

It's foolish to think that a company who's literal slogan is to sell everything from A to Z, would pull something from it's shelves just because an NBA Player got in trouble with his employer.

Bezos isn't even the CEO at this point and there are way too many stakeholders to think about pulling one product. They'd have to pull a ton of products and that ain't happening.

I keep seeing this posted and I don't think folks are thinking this all the way through.
13473144, rhymes with "macism"
Posted by kayru99, Sat Nov-12-22 08:13 PM
Americans are 100% bitchmade when it comes to challenging corporate power, and LOOOOOOVE punishing black men