Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTiffany Cross fired by MSNBC
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13472618
13472618, Tiffany Cross fired by MSNBC
Posted by c71, Sun Nov-06-22 07:19 AM
It was great watching her for a while (especially on instagram with her sort of mentor Dr. Jason Johnson talking about stuff after the Saturday show regularly). Mission accomplished by Tucker Carlson and Megyn Kelly.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/msnbc-tiffany-cross-departure-tv-news-1235423317/

MSNBC Cuts Ties Unexpectedly With Weekend Host Tiffany Cross

By Brian Steinberg

Tiffany Cross, the MSNBC weekend host who was known for running the freewheeling Saturday commentary program “Cross Connection,” is leaving the NBCUniversal-owned cable-news outlet.

Her production staff was informed of the decision Friday morning, according to three people familiar with the matter. MSNBC declined to make executives available for comment, and Cross could not be reached for immediate comment.

MSNBC decided not to renew Cross’ contract after two years, according to one of these people, and severed ties with her immediately. A rotating group of anchors will lead her weekend hours until a replacement is found, and the production staff assigned to her show are believed to be likely to stay in place.

There has been speculation that Cross’ relationship with MSNBC was becoming frayed, according to two of these people, with executives at the network growing concerned about the anchor’s willingness to address statements made by cable-news hosts on other networks and indulging in commentary executives felt did not meet the standards of MSNBC or NBC News.

And yet, the network is parting ways with an anchor who has proven popular with audiences it has sought to attract: Black viewers overall and Black female viewers in particular.

Cross was an essential building block in MSNBC’s efforts to add a broader range of diverse voices to its schedule. After competing in an on-air bake-off of sorts in 2020 with Jonathan Capehart and Zerlina Maxwell to fill weekend hours previously led by Joy Reid, Cross has presided over a loose but chatty program that she also promoted heavily on social media.

Cross, a former Washington bureau chief for BET, had worked as a political analyst for MSNBC and was a former resident fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics.

MSNBC has many options for her Saturday hours. The network has yet to announce a place for Jen Psaki, the former White House Press Secretary who is slated to launch a new program on cable and streaming in months to come. But it also has an array of recent hires, like Katie Phang or Symone Sanders, it could also utilize.

------------------------=

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tiffany-cross-disheartened-msnbc-ouster-232831322.html

Variety

Tiffany Cross ‘Disheartened’ By MSNBC Ouster, Says ‘My Work Is Not Done’

Brian Steinberg

Fri, November 4, 2022 at 7:28 PM

Tiffany Cross didn’t want to leave MSNBC, and feels she has more to do.

The outspoken weekend anchor, whose show was cancelled earlier Friday by the NBCUniversal-owned cable outlet, said in a statement Friday night that her freewheeling, outspoken style was on the mark for a disruptive era in politics, and indicated she would continue her work elsewhere.

“I am disheartened to learn of MSNBC’s decision to cancel my show, ‘The Cross Connection,’ at such a crucial time — four days before the midterm elections,” Cross said, while spotlighting the program’s ratings. “And we were intentional about centering marginalized voices of the rising majority — from all communities of color.”

MSNBC cut ties with Cross unexpectedly Friday morning, telling her production staff of the decision Friday morning, according to three people familiar with the matter. A rotating group of anchors will lead her weekend hours until a replacement is found, and the production staff assigned to her show is believed to be likely to stay in place.

At partial issue, according to people familiar with the matter, are on-air volleys between Cross and commentators like Tucker Carlson and Megyn Kelly, who have criticized the MSNBC anchor’s views in recent months, sometimes spurring across to retort. MSNBC executives felt the segments were not up to standards, but Cross supporters wonder why the network didn’t do more to shield her from the criticism. After all, the show drew an average of more than 600,000 last month, according to Nielsen, though it captured fewer viewers than its time-slot rivals on Fox News and CNN.

“Fresh off the heels of a ‘racial reckoning,’ as so many have called it, we see that with progress there is always backlash,” said Cross. “With a career in media spanning two decades from CNN to BET and MSNBC, I have not only navigated newsrooms but built them as well. With a rapidly changing media landscape, I look forward to maintaining a platform that continues to reflect the changing demographics of the country.”

She added: “We know that now is not the time for politics or journalism as usual. The two years I spent at MSNBC have been disruptive and transformative, changing how politics are discussed and making policy more digestible, I hope. It was the opportunity of a lifetime to create a show the culture would be proud to keep trending every weekend. While this journey ended abruptly, surprising many of us, my work is not done. As political violence has reached a fever pitch, it is becoming inherently more dangerous to speak the truth. But I will not stop. The attacks on me from other outlets and former hosts will never control my narrative.. Thank you to my community and fans for your overwhelming advocacy and support. Thank you to the more than 4.6 million monthly viewers. I am forever in awe of you and so grateful. See you soon!”

MSNBC declined to make executives available for comment.

Cross was an essential building block in MSNBC’s efforts to add a broader range of diverse voices to its schedule. After competing in an on-air bake-off of sorts in 2020 with Jonathan Capehart and Zerlina Maxwell to fill weekend hours previously led by Joy Reid, Cross has presided over a loose but chatty program that she also promoted heavily on social media.

Cross, a former Washington bureau chief for BET, had worked as a political analyst for MSNBC and was a former resident fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics.
13472708, Not familiar with her but this is a bad sign for the midterm
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Nov-07-22 11:18 AM
I heard she called Florida the dick of the country.. lol

trying to clear up room for a more welcoming host?
13472756, Dude in this video said he got fired from MSNBC similarly.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Nov-07-22 04:05 PM
https://youtu.be/I6u24Ni0aEI

Something about when you stand up for yourself to Fox News.
13472720, times like this when I miss the old OKP....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Nov-07-22 12:16 PM
take that as you please....
13472811, Good riddance don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Posted by Kira, Tue Nov-08-22 12:41 PM
That's what she gets for attacking the Democratic voter base aka black community. She was fired over her comments on Florida and attacking Megyn Kelly.
13472814, What ?
Posted by Lurkmode, Tue Nov-08-22 12:50 PM

She was fired because MSNBC is garbage. Megyn blackface Kelly and Nazi Carlson attacked her,what are you doing ?
13472816, Start at the 7 minute mark of this video...
Posted by Kira, Tue Nov-08-22 01:02 PM
For her specific take.

https://youtu.be/arxouyuGdRw

Whole video is a shaming attempt for black men to vote for a democrat. I'm pointing out blatant hypocrisy. Feel free to post examples of Democratic operatives shaming latino men into voting for them without addressing their concerns.
13472818, If they vote Republican they deserve it
Posted by Lurkmode, Tue Nov-08-22 01:14 PM

Any Ruckus supporting the Nazi GOP should be called out.

John Leguizam may not be a Dem operative but he did say "Latinx Who Support Trump ‘Are Like Roaches for Raid"

Sunny Hostin said the same about white women.
13472830, you should be shamed by your people for voting GOP
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Nov-08-22 02:37 PM
lmao.. what a weird point to make.