Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject"Fuck brunch" (c) Carmy & Sydney on The Bear
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13472490
13472490, "Fuck brunch" (c) Carmy & Sydney on The Bear
Posted by Robert, Thu Nov-03-22 01:14 PM
current/ex-kitchen staff OKPs..

- is it the specific crowd it brings in? (and that they can be extra.."cunty" {sorry, cant think of a better word} compared to the average lunch/dinner crowd?)

- is it not being able to sleep-in on a Sat/Sun?

- is it having to combine lunch prepping with breakfast prepping?

me? im always down for the combo of bacon/potato-hash/poached egg/hollandaise/zing-zang bloody mix---just wondering why the well-documented specific hatred for it?
13472492, Can't think of a better word?
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Nov-03-22 01:34 PM
Yes, you can.
13472493, Those folks don't go to brunch to eat, they go to socialize
Posted by flipnile, Thu Nov-03-22 01:55 PM
See and be seen, etc. If you think of it like a day club w/ food, then the type of people there and their attitudes makes a lot more sense.
13472497, RE: Those folks don't go to brunch to eat, they go to socialize
Posted by Robert, Thu Nov-03-22 02:25 PM
id agree if people were ordering bowls of cereal..or even a plate of bacon strips/eggs/toast (things that can be easily fixed at home), but the average person making breakfast at home isn't doing crabcakes topped with poached egg/hollandaise? i'd say in addition to socializing*, they're also going to eat..?

* - as for the socializing, what's the 7-930pm restaurant crowd doing?

13472510, I'd argue that *most* people that dine out do so for social reasons
Posted by flipnile, Thu Nov-03-22 03:37 PM
>* - as for the socializing, what's the 7-930pm restaurant
>crowd doing?

Same thing, probably.

Just ask someone if they would go out and eat at a restaurant by themselves. Some would, but most of the people I've asked found that to be "weird." Same with dancing, movies, drinking at a bar, etc.

Of course they enjoy the food, and order what they like, but the food is always secondary to social reasons.

Also, "social reasons" can be anything from dating, to networking with coworkers, to hanging with old friends, family get-together, etc.
13472513, Yeah, same thing.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Nov-03-22 04:14 PM
People want the Instagram-able experience. Pics of food, video of hookah and bottle service. Day or night.
13472501, I imagine it’s partially because The Beef didn’t sell booze, mostly.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Nov-03-22 03:11 PM
13472517, Per my wife who has 20 plus years in the industry
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Thu Nov-03-22 05:09 PM
>current/ex-kitchen staff OKPs..
>
>- is it the specific crowd it brings in? (and that they can be
>extra.."cunty" {sorry, cant think of a better word} compared
>to the average lunch/dinner crowd?)

It can sometimes be the crowd, if it's your standard family brunch crowd, no problem. But if it's the too-be-seen brunch crowd, most of them are "a-holes," and she hated the "All-You-Can-Drink Mimosa" brunches. Said Mimosas brought out the worst in folks.

>- is it not being able to sleep-in on a Sat/Sun?
Yea, but if you work in the industry sleeping in isn't a thing. She would get off at 2:30 -3 am and be up again at 8 am - 9 am to start her day. It's a grind.

>- is it having to combine lunch prepping with breakfast
>prepping?
Yea, your prep is prep to an extent. Her biggest issue is she's a pastry chef so making morning pastries and lunch/dinner pastries was a bitch.

>me? im always down for the combo of bacon/potato-hash/poached
>egg/hollandaise/zing-zang bloody mix---just wondering why the
>well-documented specific hatred for it?

Now that my wife isn't back of the house anymore, she's nice to staff whenever we go to brunch cause she knows what they go through.
She ended by saying, not everyone's back-of-the-house experience may be the same so this is only her view of the Brunch situation.
13472533, Was just talking to my homie who has been in the industry for
Posted by T Reynolds, Fri Nov-04-22 08:05 AM
almost two decades

similar to the main character he was in a michelin star restaurant and is kinda dangled in the industry as a draw, and has had to kind of 'start over' at smaller restaurants like Carmy does to a more dramatic extent in the show.

I was like, is the show realistc? he was like it's 100% realistic.

on top of that his wife was also formerly a pastry chef as well, the hours are unbelievable really.

one thing that's wild about the industry that I think the show touches on is the loyalty and bonds you create in the kitchen. A dude he worked with years ago comped us a whole meal at his new restaurant. Really was an experience, the waiter upselling us the whole time, people giving us excellent treatment despite us being underdressed and not being rich types that frequent the spot, all knowing we would get a bill for $0.00.

First time I've exprerienced first hand, but you feel the camaraderie through those gestures.

13472534, appreciate the response
Posted by Robert, Fri Nov-04-22 08:21 AM
>>current/ex-kitchen staff OKPs..
>>
>>- is it the specific crowd it brings in? (and that they can
>be
>>extra.."cunty" {sorry, cant think of a better word} compared
>>to the average lunch/dinner crowd?)
>
>It can sometimes be the crowd, if it's your standard family
>brunch crowd, no problem. But if it's the too-be-seen brunch
>crowd, most of them are "a-holes," and she hated the
>"All-You-Can-Drink Mimosa" brunches. Said Mimosas brought out
>the worst in folks.

(ok maybe i could've said "a-holes") ---but yeah, this person: "yes, im gonna do the Chorizo Hash Breakfast Bowl--but instead of the chorizo, can you top it with canadian bacon instead? and also make sure the poached egg isn't runny..and no scallions...hmm, or onions...and can you add a side of fruit? and i need a refill when you can *waves champagne flute*". and they're wearing a shirt that says, like, "Doing the Mi-Most-a Today" or some shit like that
13472563, my wife was front of house all thru under-/grad school
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Nov-04-22 12:34 PM
and she said she hated brunch because people want 4 different drinks at all times
13472968, Places that focus on dinner but do Sunday brunch don’t have the staff
Posted by Nodima, Wed Nov-09-22 02:33 PM
I spent the better part of four years closing the restaurant down after a busy Saturday night by midnight, or if it was a wedding buyout as late as 2am, only to have to turn back around and walk in the door at 8am to be ready to open doors at 9 to fake smile with a bunch of six and seven figure earners that have no idea how deliriously tired and hungover we all were.

On the kitchen side, you have no idea how evil hollandaise is until you have to prepare and keep up to par enough of it to serve upwards of 140 people in a five hour period. That shit SUCKS.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
13472982, this kinda touched on the crux of my original ask
Posted by Robert, Wed Nov-09-22 04:27 PM
>On the kitchen side, you have no idea how evil hollandaise is
>until you have to prepare and keep up to par enough of it to
>serve upwards of 140 people in a five hour period. That shit
>SUCKS.
>

(glad you mentioned that^) so sounds like maybe it's the hollandaise for you..

doing a quick google search, it takes roughly the same amount of time to make a bearnaise sauce or a beurre blanc sauce..and i'd imagine the line cooks at Le Bernardin/French Laundry/Jean-Georges/etcetc need to churn out gallons of it nightly--but i'd also imagine none of those workers would ever say "fuck french food"?

(it's like im on a PR-crusade for brunch..)

13472978, I trust Anthony Bourdain more than most
Posted by sevencents, Wed Nov-09-22 03:17 PM
and he be on that 'fuck brunch' tip.

seems like it's mostly just serving old, nearly-spoiled food to majority of completely spoiled people.