Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectGuess I should chime in as I have some contacts down there...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13471243&mesg_id=13474620
13474620, Guess I should chime in as I have some contacts down there...
Posted by ChampD1012, Sat Dec-10-22 11:26 PM
Folks aren't mad that Deion is leaving for Colorado for the bag...because I would...

It's about how he's handling it and what he promised to folks when he got there...rushing the ceremony after the SWAC championship game and flying out to Colorado and not meeting with the media after the game

Not meeting with the media for the Celebration Bowl Presser on Thursday but being at the basketball game in Colorado that same night...

He's controlled the narrative...and rumors have spread about what he paid for and what money he didn't get from the school which are inaccurate...

Just like most on this board...when the hire was announced...I said no more than 3 years, but he needs to be there 5-10 years to actually build a sustainable foundation that'll last once he leaves...and if he doesn't bring home multiple Celebration Bowls...it's a failure...and so far he MIGHT bring back one...and quite frankly...I'm not sure about that...

That school down in Durham (North Carolina Central for the unaware) is a really good football team that has played a tougher schedule and beaten a Top 25 FCS program this year. And I think have a better Quarterback under Center in Davius Richard...so before all of this chaos, I thought they had a shot of winning...

MEAC teams have always been underdogs in this game...but they are 5-1...with my alma mater being 4-0 in the game (North Carolina A&T)...

Winning the SWAC championship twice and going undefeated in the conference isn't unprecedented as it Grambling did it in 2016 and 2017...Matter of fact...they were a SWAC Championship Game away in 2015 from doing it 3 years in a row...and Grambling got the only Celebration Bowl win for the Conference during that run...

We all know what he said in his introductory press conference in Jackson about uplifting and provoking change at HBCUs...but when you look at it and be honest...he only did some of that at one HBCU...Jackson State University...he assisted the other schools in the SWAC to start looking at how they handle their contracts regarding the classics...and helped with some of the media deals for the SWAC...but it hasn't helped the 90+ HBCUs in these streets...

The MEAC schools didn't really get nothing out of it...Tennessee State got something only because Jackson State was on the schedule for the Southern Heritage Classic which is no longer the case...they are now playing UAPB starting next season...Division 2 HBCUs didn't get anything out of it...A&T definitely didn't get anything from it...they even asked the head coach and he laughed at the notion of it...they were already the largest HBCU in the nation years prior to Deion showing up...

Just think we need to be careful of giving Deion Sanders credit for things that's not warranted...he did some good things for Jackson State...he brought attention to the institution...but Jackson State was already the leader in attendance in FCS before he showed up...and they were already planning some of those facility upgrades before he showed up...

We can have the debate on whether or not JSU did a good job of utilizing his celebrity or not...because quite frankly I don't think they did...but that's another discussion for another time...maybe during the 1 pm games before the Panthers play...