Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt's gonna get bad
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13469882&mesg_id=13469961
13469961, It's gonna get bad
Posted by sevencents, Mon Oct-03-22 01:32 PM
Thank you. I'm not in Brasil, but was married to a Brazilian and lived there for a while and have many Brazilian friends, so I've followed the politics there for quite some time.

From what I've gathered, the results were a lot worse than many people were hoping...even though Lula had a strong lead, Bolsonaro did a lot better than many of the polls predicted and people in his party won a number of senate and cabinet positions....so even if Bozo leaves office, he's gonna be leaving a lot of his venomous politics around.

As popular as Lula was as president, there is a lot of people who dislike him and PT (workers party)...classism is a big issue in Brazil and while Lula helped lift a lot of the country out of poverty with Bolsa Famila and other social programs, a lot of the elite and middle class in Brazil were resentful of this...same with the US Govt....the silent coup of Dilma and imprisonment of Lula were 100% politically motivated. Lula's party is not exempt from corruption, but the ones leading the charge against PT were far more corrupt.

I think many anti-Lula people have seen that Bolsonaro is being far dangerous, but it's scary how normalized and accepted Bozo's violent, anti-indigenous, anti-woman, anti-gay rhetoric has become for many Brazilians.

I have a bad feeling that this is going to not only be a tense time for the country, but also a violent one.

Lula will win the election, but I am fearful of all that will be lost in the process.