Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI see this more as, "Artists I Am Unfamiliar With"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13469441&mesg_id=13469457
13469457, I see this more as, "Artists I Am Unfamiliar With"
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Sep-27-22 02:57 AM
I think the header conveys a different criteria than than the explanation in the body. Not a knock, just an observation.

I think a good candidate that fits the header, is someone like Joe Budden. His discography, a fair amount of which I enjoy, doesn't quite explain his overall stature. His overall name recognition owes far more to his podcast, dating life, various beefs, and the things he says off wax, than his discography.

I don't think the body of the post, nor the responses, fit the header criteria, and is much more what the body describes: artists I know of, but don't really know, or just don't quite get.

For me, the most notable name I can think of is Drake.

I can name... Forever, Duppy, Hotline Bling, and.... that's about it. There's She Will, but that's a Lil Wayne joint. I struggle to name Drake songs after that. I just never conencted with him or 40's production, which often sounds like I'm listening while wearing earmuffs, while sitting in a submarine, which is somehow both underwater, and outside the club where the song is playing.

Thing is, that's no a knock on either of them. It's just a generational divide. I'm still stuck on in the 90's and early 00's.